Need some advice Please

Old Jan 19th 2012, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Rare FX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need some advice Please

I'm a UK citizen and will be marrying my Canadian boyfriend in May 2012 he proposed last year around March 2011

I'm due to return to Canada for my wedding and that's the thing I'm worried about as I've been to canada three times in under a year and and all three visits would add up over 6 months 1st trip stayed 2 months and then left second trip three months and third trip over two months

I have always left on time - would the border officer not let me past I'm so worried as all the wedding is set and has cost over $30,000 to book all wedding venues and all wedding costs.

I'm so worried this would mean we wouldn't get married and all the money lost what we have paid we both would be devastated

On arriving I will tell the border officer I'm due to get married in May as a UK citizen I don't need a Visa as we get a 6 Month tourist visa does that visa allow me in to get married?

I'm really upset that I shouldn't have visited so many times but I love my boyfriend and I just miss him hence all the 3 visits - do you think they will be ok with me coming in if they ask how many months I've stayed in canada?

All the time I have lived with my Boyfriend he works and I have plenty of funds and take care of myself.

Please help
Old Jan 19th 2012, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need some advice Please

Will you have a return ticket to show you are going back to the UK?
You can visit Canada as many times as you want there is no accumulation of visits for time. Each entry is dealt with on its own merits. Obviously getting married in Canada might arouse suspicion as you have to satisfy the examining officer that you will leave Canada.
As long as not inadmissible for other reasons I see no reason why you shouldnt be admitted but there is no guarantee.
Do you have a job in the UK, do you own property, what ties do you have to the UK? All questions that an examining officer will enquire about.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

yes I'll have a return ticket I'm also self employed

after I get married my boyfriend will apply for my PR - is it wise to tell the border officer I've come back as I have a wedding in may with over 500 people attending I have all the venues names all booked deposits paid - or to just say I'm here to be with my boyfriend.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rare FX
yes I'll have a return ticket I'm also self employed

after I get married my boyfriend will apply for my PR - is it wise to tell the border officer I've come back as I have a wedding in may with over 500 people attending I have all the venues names all booked deposits paid - or to just say I'm here to be with my boyfriend.
Personally I would tell them that you are getting married to your Canadian boyfriend and that it is your intention for him to sponsor you down the road. Show them the return ticket and just explain. We see this all the time no need to be too alarmed.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

what ever you do, answer the immigration officer's questions honestly. However, you dont need to tell them all your wedding plans unless they ask. It's usually best to answer their questions with brief answers

i.e. what is your purpose of visit? to visit my boyfriend

if they want details, give details. Just make sure you can provide evidence that you will not overstay your visitor visa, can support yourself etc
Old Jan 19th 2012, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a UK citizen and will be marrying my Canadian boyfriend in May 2012 he proposed last year around March 2011

I'm due to return to Canada for my wedding and that's the thing I'm worried about as I've been to canada three times in under a year and and all three visits would add up over 6 months 1st trip stayed 2 months and then left second trip three months and third trip over two months

I have always left on time - would the border officer not let me past I'm so worried as all the wedding is set and has cost over $30,000 to book all wedding venues and all wedding costs.

I'm so worried this would mean we wouldn't get married and all the money lost what we have paid we both would be devastated

On arriving I will tell the border officer I'm due to get married in May as a UK citizen I don't need a Visa as we get a 6 Month tourist visa does that visa allow me in to get married?

I'm really upset that I shouldn't have visited so many times but I love my boyfriend and I just miss him hence all the 3 visits - do you think they will be ok with me coming in if they ask how many months I've stayed in canada?

All the time I have lived with my Boyfriend he works and I have plenty of funds and take care of myself.

Please help
In theory you should be ok, but it would be entirely down to the official. Whether or not you would want to disclose you are getting married I do not know, someone on here would be able to answer that. Have you started the application for permanent residence? It might look very suspisous to the officier if you havnt and then tell them you are getting married
Old Jan 19th 2012, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Hi

Thanks for the reply's thank you.

we thought a PR application could be only done once we get married - hence why he will start after we get married.

I'm really worried as we have everything booked church - reception hall - and catering and I have purchased my wedding outfit's and I'm due to fly any day now and this all crossed my mind what if they refuse me in I would've ruined our wedding.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Personally I would tell them that you are getting married to your Canadian boyfriend and that it is your intention for him to sponsor you down the road. Show them the return ticket and just explain. We see this all the time no need to be too alarmed.
will I get pulled for a secondary interview? at the airport by border control - on telling them he will be sponsoring me will this look bad? this is the norm when someone none Canadian marries a Canadian citizen they apply for PR I thought they would see nothing wrong.

Last edited by Rare FX; Jan 19th 2012 at 4:05 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi

Thanks for the reply's thank you.

we thought a PR application could be only done once we get married - hence why he will start after we get married.

I'm really worried as we have everything booked church - reception hall - and catering and I have purchased my wedding outfit's and I'm due to fly any day now and this all crossed my mind what if they refuse me in I would've ruined our wedding.

will I get pulled for a secondary interview? at the airport by border control - on telling them he will be sponsoring me will this look bad? this is the norm when someone none Canadian marries a Canadian citizen they apply for PR I thought they would see nothing wrong.
Trust me for someone who is in the know read what I posted in #4.
Im pretty certain you might get referred to Immigration secondary where you will be examined. Just answer any questions but with your specific case I would definitely volunteer that you are getting married to a Canadian and will be applying for PR status later down the road.
Let us know how you got on.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 5:57 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I flew in on my 4th trip of the year to Vancouver to get married. They asked the purpose of my visit and i said to attend my wedding. They congratulated me and waved me through.

I think this is being blown all out of proportion.

Don't worry.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

thanks all - I'll let you know how it goes.