In need of some advice

Old Sep 29th 2015, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

StickyToast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default In need of some advice

Hello everyone,

I have been actively looking to move out of the UK for a fair few years now. I always wanted to go to the USA, but after taking a month out there I think Canada is a little more suited for me.

I am 24 I have a Bachelors degree in Computer Science (2:2), grades lacking as I was also working full time.

I am currently Self Employed working as an IT consultant - Prior working history all in IT too.

Currently single, no debts (bar student loan) and no children.

No criminal convictions either - I have been arrested once (wrong place, wrong time), went to court and all charges dropped against me if that makes any difference.

I have read quite a bit into this, but it just seems like a rabbit hole of information about what visa's I would need to get this ball rolling.

Any advice would be great!
Old Sep 29th 2015, 4:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In need of some advice

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Luckily, as you're aged 30 or under, you have a very easy visa route open to you - the IEC. This will give you a 2 year open work permit.

The 2016 program will open sometime between December and March, do make sure that you are ready to go and watch the website very carefully, as visas go within a matter of minutes, so you need to be ready to snap one up!

HTH, good luck.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

StickyToast is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice!

I have looked at the IEC (International Experience Canada – travel and work in Canada)

Do they give a heads up on when they go online? Is there anything I need to be doing now to ensure that I can get one?
Old Sep 29th 2015, 4:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StickyToast
Thanks for the advice!

I have looked at the IEC (International Experience Canada – travel and work in Canada)

Do they give a heads up on when they go online? Is there anything I need to be doing now to ensure that I can get one?
Not really, sometimes they do give advance notice of the date, but not always, so you just need to bookmark the page and keep checking it. And do keep an eye on this forum, there's always a loooooong IEC thread (you can find the most recent one further down the page) where people will give info if they find it out.

You'll need to make sure you've got enough savings, but that's pretty much all you can do in advance as everything else (insurance, police cert etc) is better off being done nearer the time.

Good luck.