Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Need guidance on sending/receiving passports by courier

Need guidance on sending/receiving passports by courier

Old Nov 6th 2013, 5:29 pm
Long wait

blinggg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need guidance on sending/receiving passports by courier

Hello everyone,

I am not sure if anyone relates to it but please read my query.

Me and my husband were in London when we had filed our case under MPNP stream. At present, we are in India and we are residents of this country. Now our process is at final stage. The London VO has requested for the passports on 21/10. Very happily, we went to Indian post office to courier our passports to London and we got a shock of our life. They said its illegal to send passports outside the country. Then we went to DHL and Fedex and both of them refused to send. Finally, DTDC agreed to send our passports on the basis of e-mail sent by the London VO and one authority letter that I gave to them. They had kept our parcel open so that the Customs can check it inside..means we didn't hide anything in any way.

By Gods grace, our passports have reached London VO on 4th Nov. The DTDC website clearly shows 'Delivered' status.

Now, I am worried what happens when London VO send our passports back to India. Is it legal to send the passports in India?? Has anyone received passports from any other country to India??

And how long does it take??

Please share if you have gone through this process.

Thanks a lot.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 6:00 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need guidance on sending/receiving passports by courier

Hi

Originally Posted by blinggg
Hello everyone,

I am not sure if anyone relates to it but please read my query.

Me and my husband were in London when we had filed our case under MPNP stream. At present, we are in India and we are residents of this country. Now our process is at final stage. The London VO has requested for the passports on 21/10. Very happily, we went to Indian post office to courier our passports to London and we got a shock of our life. They said its illegal to send passports outside the country. Then we went to DHL and Fedex and both of them refused to send. Finally, DTDC agreed to send our passports on the basis of e-mail sent by the London VO and one authority letter that I gave to them. They had kept our parcel open so that the Customs can check it inside..means we didn't hide anything in any way.

By Gods grace, our passports have reached London VO on 4th Nov. The DTDC website clearly shows 'Delivered' status.

Now, I am worried what happens when London VO send our passports back to India. Is it legal to send the passports in India?? Has anyone received passports from any other country to India??

And how long does it take??

Please share if you have gone through this process.

Thanks a lot.
1. I think that you will find that London will not mail the passports back. Most Indian citizens who apply at offices outside India, usual have a friend/relatives hand carry the passports with an authorization letter.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

India, eh?

And I thought that the Mexican government were picky when told I couldn't courier our passports out of the country!
Old Nov 6th 2013, 6:57 pm
Long wait

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. I think that you will find that London will not mail the passports back. Most Indian citizens who apply at offices outside India, usual have a friend/relatives hand carry the passports with an authorization letter.
Oh, you are scaring me. I forgot to mention something that was written in the pdf document attached with the e-mail by London VO. Please have a look..

To submit your package by courier, mail, or in our drop box

In your package, include a self-addressed envelope that is A4 size or larger (21cm x 30cm or 8.5” x 12”). Do
not put stamps on your return envelope. Do not use a courier envelope as your return envelope. If your return
address is in the UK, you may use a Royal Mail Special Delivery envelope that is large enough (keep a copy of the
tracking number).

Due to the postal situation in UAE, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar and Yemen, passports and visas
will be sent by courier to addresses in these countries. For all other addresses, passports and visas will be sent by
registered mail.

They have written that for all other addresses they send it by registered mail. So I was assuming India is also included in their list. What do you say ??
Old Nov 6th 2013, 6:58 pm
Long wait

Originally Posted by AdrianR
India, eh?

And I thought that the Mexican government were picky when told I couldn't courier our passports out of the country!
That's a surprise. It happens in Mexico too. Then how did you sent yours and received it??
Old Nov 7th 2013, 2:31 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Oh, you are scaring me. I forgot to mention something that was written in the pdf document attached with the e-mail by London VO. Please have a look..

To submit your package by courier, mail, or in our drop box

In your package, include a self-addressed envelope that is A4 size or larger (21cm x 30cm or 8.5” x 12”). Do
not put stamps on your return envelope. Do not use a courier envelope as your return envelope. If your return
address is in the UK, you may use a Royal Mail Special Delivery envelope that is large enough (keep a copy of the
tracking number).

Due to the postal situation in UAE, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar and Yemen, passports and visas
will be sent by courier to addresses in these countries. For all other addresses, passports and visas will be sent by
registered mail.

They have written that for all other addresses they send it by registered mail. So I was assuming India is also included in their list. What do you say ??
I say they aren't going to send it. As it is illegal to send/mail/courier Indian passports out of India, and I doubt that CHC London will break the law.
Old Nov 8th 2013, 9:53 am
Long wait

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

I say they aren't going to send it. As it is illegal to send/mail/courier Indian passports out of India, and I doubt that CHC London will break the law.
Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I am worried now. I have already sent the passports in a legal manner without hiding anything. I don't know how this particular courier company agreed to send it then. They said on the basis of your authority letter and emails sent by Embassy, we can send so me and my husband decided to send it.

Now, as you are saying that London VO will not send it back to India then do you know what could be our next step?? They have clearly written that do not contact us for 6 weeks after sending the passports. We are really worried..please suggest. Now, I can't even apply for the visitor visa to the UK without passport. What shall I do now??

Thanks
Old Nov 8th 2013, 5:10 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I am worried now. I have already sent the passports in a legal manner without hiding anything. I don't know how this particular courier company agreed to send it then. They said on the basis of your authority letter and emails sent by Embassy, we can send so me and my husband decided to send it.

Now, as you are saying that London VO will not send it back to India then do you know what could be our next step?? They have clearly written that do not contact us for 6 weeks after sending the passports. We are really worried..please suggest. Now, I can't even apply for the visitor visa to the UK without passport. What shall I do now??

Thanks
Assuming London doesn't mail it, I would think that you would probably get an email requesting that you either supply an address in their processing area or authorize someone to pickup the passports.
Old Nov 11th 2013, 5:23 pm
Long wait

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Assuming London doesn't mail it, I would think that you would probably get an email requesting that you either supply an address in their processing area or authorize someone to pickup the passports.
Thanks for the reply. I am still waiting for reply from London VO..well it's only been a week since they received our passports. Assuming London accepts the authority letter by us, can you please tell me do I have to courier authority letter to the UK or can I send it by e-mail??

I really appreciate your help. Thanks!!