Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Is my oh job on the list of 38 occupations????

Is my oh job on the list of 38 occupations????

Old Aug 13th 2009, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

blaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant future
Default Is my oh job on the list of 38 occupations????

Hi I am new to the forum, we are looking into moving to Canada if we can???? Not sure really if oh job is on the list of 38 really as oh has got a 360 machine excavation ticket, which is the heavy plant machinery ticket. Then it says on the list of 38 heavy machine equipment crew cant remember the number exactly, so is that on the list??? Any advice would be really appreciated as fed up with England, just want a better life for my children. We have friends already living in Vancouver and they absolutely love it. My oh is in the construction industry and has 24 years experience he has other tickets as a steel fixer (I think they are known as a rebar worker or a rod buster in Canada) and he has experience as a shuttering joiner. I am a teaching assistant I have a level 2 in this, hoping to do a level 3 when we go back. Any advice anyone????
Old Aug 13th 2009, 9:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my oh job on the list of 38 occupations????

Originally Posted by blaise
Hi I am new to the forum, we are looking into moving to Canada if we can???? Not sure really if oh job is on the list of 38 really as oh has got a 360 machine excavation ticket, which is the heavy plant machinery ticket. Then it says on the list of 38 heavy machine equipment crew cant remember the number exactly, so is that on the list??? Any advice would be really appreciated as fed up with England, just want a better life for my children. We have friends already living in Vancouver and they absolutely love it. My oh is in the construction industry and has 24 years experience he has other tickets as a steel fixer (I think they are known as a rebar worker or a rod buster in Canada) and he has experience as a shuttering joiner. I am a teaching assistant I have a level 2 in this, hoping to do a level 3 when we go back. Any advice anyone????
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Here is a Wiki link which tells you which jobs are on 'the list'. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/THE_LIST-Canada The only one relating to heavy equipment work is 'Heavy-Duty Equipment Mechanics', would that be applicable for him? Or any others?

As for working as a teachers assistant, you might want to read this..............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Teaching_in_Canada Teaching or any related occupation is not a great choice for Canada!

Hope that helps, shout with any further questions.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

blaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant futureblaise has a brilliant future

Hi and thanks for the quick reply the noc code I was looking at for my oh is 7217 heavy construction equipment crews, contractors and supervisors, in the list of 38, is that on the list????? Or am I not looking at the right one???? As a total novice to all this!!! Any more advice please
Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and thanks for the quick reply the noc code I was looking at for my oh is 7217 heavy construction equipment crews, contractors and supervisors, in the list of 38, is that on the list????? Or am I not looking at the right one???? As a total novice to all this!!! Any more advice please
It is on the list - I've given you the link above to the list of all 38 occupations. So if he job meets the detailed job description on the NOC website, then that would be his NOC code.

But from your previous posts it appears that you didn't have enough points 6 months ago, has that changed?

He would still need 67 points or more (as well as a job on the list or a job offer approved by HRSDC) to qualify as a Skilled Worker.

Old Aug 13th 2009, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
I keep on going on to new posters on here but I have found it a fantastic source of information on here, the Wiki will answer most of your questions, just pull up a comfy seat and a nice cuppa and read through it.
Then any detail you are still not sure of then some one on here will probably know the answer!
Oh! and welcome to BE
Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again for the reply I am not sure if I am filling out the points system out correct really. Need to look at it again, also you still need a job offer, does anyone know of any good job sites?? Also I thought before my oh had to be a supervisor but that is not the case, the recession has it hit over in Canada???? Also on the points test it asks about languages I took french when I was at school I did pass but what level would they put me at with that if any sorry about all the questions but will keep on trying!!!
Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks again for the reply I am not sure if I am filling out the points system out correct really. Need to look at it again, also you still need a job offer, does anyone know of any good job sites?? Also I thought before my oh had to be a supervisor but that is not the case, the recession has it hit over in Canada???? Also on the points test it asks about languages I took french when I was at school I did pass but what level would they put me at with that if any sorry about all the questions but will keep on trying!!!
Please, please, please read the Wiki!! It will help you understand the whole immigration process, you appear to be misunderstanding it at the moment.

If your OH is on the list of occupations he does NOT need a job offer - it's either a job on the list OR a job offer. So if he gets the requisite points (and meets the other criteria i.e. proof of funds, passes the medical, no criminal record etc), then he could get PR as a Skilled Worker and does not need a job offer first.

As for French, what level did you do it to? Basic French is actually anything but, it's usually said to be equivalent to an A level or above. So unless you can confidently hold a conversation in French and are up to that standard, you wouldn't get any points for French without some serious studying before you took the test for points.

And yes, Canada is in recession too. Jobs are very hard to come by at the moment.

Your best bet is to take the points test on the CIC website, and then let us know how many you got. And grab a cuppa and read that Wiki!!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 13th 2009 at 11:35 am.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

The French language is always mentioned on here and it is always the same answer, it is much harder than it appears, it is referred to as A level French rather than a basic GCSE
So I wouldnt pin my hopes of gaining points through the French language section, unless I was pretty dam confident in my ability!
What about a job offer? or if he comes under the 38 employment categories then he dosent need a job offer!
Exactly as the previous post! (as usual right on the button with her answer!) I should read before I leap!

Last edited by dinger24; Aug 13th 2009 at 11:30 am.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry i have not read it right will go through wiki many thanks