Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

For my next trick .. turning TWP into PR

Wikiposts

For my next trick .. turning TWP into PR

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

irthedino is an unknown quantity at this point
Default For my next trick .. turning TWP into PR

I've searched the forum and can't seem to find what i'm looking for.

We (myself,partner and 2 kids) applied to CHC London for SW visa (simplified) in Sept 2006, AOR rec'd Jan 2007 To cut a long story short i got a job, followed by a +ve LMO and then we all jumped on a plane and got a 2yr TWP when we arrived at Toronto airport in August '07.

Now we are in Canada we are looking to speed up the PR application process and was looking for advice on howwe go about doing this. Is there anyone with simlar experience who is maybe further down this road and can share a few words of wisdom.

Thanks Di
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 12:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For my next trick .. turning TWP into PR

Originally Posted by irthedino
I've searched the forum and can't seem to find what i'm looking for.

We (myself,partner and 2 kids) applied to CHC London for SW visa (simplified) in Sept 2006, AOR rec'd Jan 2007 To cut a long story short i got a job, followed by a +ve LMO and then we all jumped on a plane and got a 2yr TWP when we arrived at Toronto airport in August '07.

Now we are in Canada we are looking to speed up the PR application process and was looking for advice on howwe go about doing this. Is there anyone with simlar experience who is maybe further down this road and can share a few words of wisdom.

Thanks Di
You should be thinking in terms of what requirements London has to give priority processing to your application.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 12:26 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

If you can get your current employer to write a letter stating that he/she would offer you a permanent job if you had permanent residence status, that would speed up your PR application. It would also add to your points. If memory serves me correctly, it would add 10 points. You'd probably get PR within a year of that letter going in.

But there's a bit more to it than that. To see which documents need to be submitted, please see post #4 by Andrew Miller in the thread entitled Promise of employment? Mr Miller help!

There are other methods that people use, such as applying to one or other of the Provincial Nominee Programs.

My guess is that, if you're already working in Canada and if your employer is happy with the services you are providing, "Arranged Employment" probably is the easiest and quickest way to get the show on the road.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 12:27 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by irthedino
You need to submit at least the following:

- standard, full application set of properly filled and signed forms;

- all required in application checklist plus case/circumstances specific supporting evidence;

- copy of valid work permit plus proof of working in Canada in skilled occupation (letter from employer and few recent payroll stubs);

- offer from employer stating intention to convert your current temporary position to full time, permanent employment after you become a PR; and

- your own cover letter asking to convert your simplified application to a full one with Arranged Employment and to expedite processing.

Of course the above is only a generic, very basic list and what else to submit depends from your circumstances.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice - my employer was surprised to find that i was only given a 2 yr work permit as she asked for 5! There's no issues with the job offer being permanent so looks like its back to form filling, CHC queues and frustration for another 12 months! You gotta love it, eh!!!!!
Old Jan 7th 2008, 10:07 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

We came to NS in Jan 07 on WPs (3-year) and became Canadian PRs in September (original AOR for PR Visa was August 2005).

We had to leave Canada and re-enter in order to validate our PRs. You get 12months from the date of your medicals to do this.

Have a look at my profile - all our dates are there
Old Jan 7th 2008, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

That's pretty quick - here's hoping ours is straightforward enough to go through that quickly!