Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

applied for bunac,advise on sponsership

applied for bunac,advise on sponsership

Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

craig25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default applied for bunac,advise on sponsership

Hi me and my gf were living together in england,she is a canadian citizen and was on a holiday visa,before she went back home to canada we decided to get joint bank accounts for prove that we are in a proper relationship to show canadian immigration when the time comes for her to sponser me,iam in the process of applying for a bunac visa so i can go over there for a year then after the year she plans to sponser me to stay in canada while iam there,we will get both of our names on a lease or another joint bank account in canada to further show prove we are serious,does anyone know is it as straight forward as this ?,i have read lots of information on immigration sites and it looks like we will be ok,does she also have to show that she can support me on savings etc ?,
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

L'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud of
Default Re: applied for bunac,advise on sponsership

Hi

It's good that you are getting joint bank accounts and your names on the lease etc.
For Common-Law status you will have to be living together for a continuous year - so you will be able to apply on the day your Bunac visa runs out.
My advice would be to collect as much evidence of a 'genuine and continuing' relationship in the mean-time. They like you to cover 4 areas:

Evidence of Emotional Interdependency.

Examples of what to include:

Evidence of Physical Interdependency.

Evidence of Social Interdependency.

Evidence of Financial Interdependency.

Such as:

It will also be important to include photos of the two of you together, with family, with friends, in different identifiable places (in front of landmarks etc). We found that the photos covered most of the categories above and so gave them their own section and cross referenced.

30 days prior to your Bunac visa expiring, you can apply for a 'change in conditions', and extend your stay as a visitor http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp If you do this try not to mention that you wish to 'stay' with your partner during the application process, but instead use the word 'visit'. Also point out that you are willing and able to return to the UK if necessary. I did this and initially asked for 6 months. During this time we submitted the PR application along with another extension request and this was granted.

Well, I think that's enough to get you going and hopefully not overwhelm you too much.

...oh, I think that you will also need a declaration of common-law status - I am sure there is more info on that on the CIC website.

Good luck with everything and fire away with any questions, we will do our best!

Cheers.

Originally Posted by craig25
                              Hi me and my gf were living together in england,she is a canadian citizen and was on a holiday visa,before she went back home to canada we decided to get joint bank accounts for prove that we are in a proper relationship to show canadian immigration when the time comes for her to sponser me,iam in the process of applying for a bunac visa so i can go over there for a year then after the year she plans to sponser me to stay in canada while iam there,we will get both of our names on a lease or another joint bank account in canada to further show prove we are serious,does anyone know is it as straight forward as this ?,i have read lots of information on immigration sites and it looks like we will be ok,does she also have to show that she can support me on savings etc ?,

Last edited by L'il Bear; Jan 7th 2008 at 8:57 am.
                              Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:49 am
                              Forum Regular

ojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really niceojmurphy is just really nice

Hey... I came to Canada originally on BUNAC and happened to be in their Immigration Q&A session in Toronto last summer. It was full of people in the same boat as you.

You will have to live together with her for one full year, as L'il Bear said. Then they recommended as much evidence as you can possibly get. Letters from friends, landlords, neighbours; photographs; travel and event tickets.

I'm not sure about proving savings (the experts on the board will know better), but - as the Canadian citizen - she will have to be absolutely serious about potentially supporting you. If you can show your adaptability and Canadian experience gained on the BUNAC programme, I'm sure this won't harm you.

It's an excellent post by L'il Bear. All you need to do is start collecting EVERYTHING that could prove you have the relationship because, unfortunately, it will undoubtedly come under close scrunity. Don't let that worry you... and good luck!
                              Old Jan 7th 2008, 10:44 am
                              Forum Regular

craig25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advise but i have one more question,do i have to apply to extend my stay as a tourist before my bunac visa runs out,why cant i apply for my gf to sponser me a month before ?,we currently have joint bank accounts so it will be over a year when we actually come to apply,i didnt think pictures and letters helped but we do have them so thats good.
                              Old Jan 7th 2008, 11:07 am
                              Forum Regular

L'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by craig25
                              Thanks for the advise but i have one more question,do i have to apply to extend my stay as a tourist before my bunac visa runs out,why cant i apply for my gf to sponser me a month before ?,we currently have joint bank accounts so it will be over a year when we actually come to apply,i didnt think pictures and letters helped but we do have them so thats good.
                              You can only apply as a Common-Law couple if you can prove that you have been living together, under the same roof, as a couple for one year continuously prior to application (not just 'any' one year period) - I was presuming that there would be a gap between your partner returning to Canada and you being able to join her which is why I recommended the extension as a visitor. If this is not the case and you are both going to Canada together and can prove that you have been living together - I think that you can apply a year from the date that you started doing so. If there are any gaps in you and your gf living together, then you will have to wait a year from when you are back under the same roof again before your partner can sponsor you.

Include as much evidence as possible in your application - in my opinion having more is better than not having enough and may even avoid delays and possibly the need for an interview.

Good luck.