Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

My Nationality is Very Confused - Help with Q's

Wikiposts

My Nationality is Very Confused - Help with Q's

Old Apr 11th 2008, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Nationality is Very Confused - Help with Q's

Hello

I'm the OP and I'm a girl / lady / woman or what ever you choose!!!!

I completely understand, and have taken into consideration the possibility of the UK withdrawing from the EU.

Frankly, I'm leaving England for a reason, and as I have lived here all my life - ish, I hope to enjoy the remainder of my time in Canada. If it doesn't work out, I have Ireland to explore anyway.

And - my mother has an English passport now, (having been born in Rep of Ireland and having Canadian citizenship) so perhaps through her, I would be entitled still to apply (and recieve) and British passport.?????

Bx
Old Apr 11th 2008, 10:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandit
And - my mother has an English passport now, (having been born in Rep of Ireland and having Canadian citizenship) so perhaps through her, I would be entitled still to apply (and recieve) and British passport.?????
You must mean a British passport (no such thing as an English passport). However, no, she most can't pass on her British nationality to you.

Whether it's a British subject passport (birth in ROI pre 1949) or if she got it through a U.K. born parent, which would be British citizenship by descent, it doesn't pass on to you.

Unless she happened to have naturalised in the U.K. before you were born or something equivalent.

If you have chosen to abandon the United Kingdom without gaining British citizenship then that is of course your choice but you should be aware that if you later on change your mind it will be too late.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

allicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wbexpat
Whoa. Hang about.
I think it is extremely unlikely that the UK will withdraw from the EU. I would like to see some evidence supporting this notion before I can support the idea that the OP needs to bugger about with UK citizenship.
I quite agree I really cannot see any of the current politians being brave enough to suggest that one.

I will agree most English people are sick of all the eastern europians arriving however the presure from business would be far to grate for them to ever leave the EU. Money screams alot loader than voters complain.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

allicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bandit
Hello

I'm the OP and I'm a girl / lady / woman or what ever you choose!!!!

I completely understand, and have taken into consideration the possibility of the UK withdrawing from the EU.

Frankly, I'm leaving England for a reason, and as I have lived here all my life - ish, I hope to enjoy the remainder of my time in Canada. If it doesn't work out, I have Ireland to explore anyway.

Bx
All this political stuff really is irelevent if you are fed up with the UK then leave if you get to Canada and it doesn´t work go somewhere else you are fed up with UK for a reason.

Most people I know who left came to Spain didn´t like it here went home and now regret it and are leaving to go somewhere else. They remembered why they left in the first place in a couple of months after returning.

So personally I would ignore all this talk about not being able to go back what you should be asking yourself is would you really want to?
Old Apr 12th 2008, 7:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by allicat001
All this political stuff really is irelevent if you are fed up with the UK then leave if you get to Canada and it doesn´t work go somewhere else you are fed up with UK for a reason.
Maybe - but perhaps in 10 to 15 years there United Kingdom may have addressed its social problems and be a more attractive place to live (and with tighter borders).

It's really about whether you want to keep options open or not.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 9:44 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Processing time for naturalisation is about 6 months, all up. You do need to plan to remain resident in the U.K. so if serious about this then you need to put off any thoughts of possible moves until after you are sworn in as a British citizen.
Back in 1988 there was a long wait for processing. My OH applied for naturalization as a British citizen a year before our move to Canada but was not approved until six months after we got here. She was able to swear her oath before a Canadian notary.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 10:05 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Back in 1988 there was a long wait for processing. My OH applied for naturalization as a British citizen a year before our move to Canada but was not approved until six months after we got here. She was able to swear her oath before a Canadian notary.
A spouse of a British citizen is not required to intend to live in the U.K. so this must be how your OH was able to continue the process in Canada.

In those days it was possible to take the oath in front of a suitably qualified practitioner in Canada (because Canada has the Queen as Head of State). In fact, prior to 2004, Canadians didn't need to take the oath.

These days, someone in the same position would take the oath + a Pledge to the United Kingdom at a citizenship ceremony. In Canada, it can be done at a British diplomatic mission.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

i have two passports- nothing illigal about that! and for the record, i flew through atlanta this week and they are sooooo fingerprinting, photographing, and taking eye ball pic's.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 5:18 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Caitilin
i have two passports- nothing illigal about that! and for the record, i flew through atlanta this week and they are sooooo fingerprinting, photographing, and taking eye ball pic's.
U.S. immigration has been doing that for a few years (although not for Canadian citizens and Bermuda passport holders). Other countries are beginning to do so as well, eg Japan.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care who does it- it doesn't stop me feeling slightly dirty and treated as if I've committed a crime - which I haven't.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 5:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caitilin
I don't care who does it- it doesn't stop me feeling slightly dirty and treated as if I've committed a crime - which I haven't.
I dont mind it at all. It makes me feel a tiny bit safer.

They can have my addresses, phone numbers and mother's maiden name for all I care.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

with governments losing laptops with the details of every child getting child benefit, or the fbi losing laptops with data...It doesn't make me feel very safe.

besides, it creates a culture of suspects, not of innocents.
but to each their own
Old Apr 13th 2008, 6:12 am
JAJ
Retired

There is no need for this thread to go into a discussion about the merits of fingerprinting (which was only started with an irrelevant post on #38).

The thread has now pretty much discussed what it was set up for and hence it is now closed.