Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

My family want to follow me!,Ontario

My family want to follow me!,Ontario

Old Apr 5th 2013, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

leeds_sparky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My family want to follow me!,Ontario

Ok so I moved over in 2008 with my wife(Canadian) who sponsored me.
So my parents and brother have finally gotten tired of just skyping us and their granddaughter and have decided to make the move over here if they can.
How and where should we even start?
Old Apr 5th 2013, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My family want to follow me!,Ontario

Originally Posted by leeds_sparky
Ok so I moved over in 2008 with my wife(Canadian) who sponsored me.
So my parents and brother have finally gotten tired of just skyping us and their granddaughter and have decided to make the move over here if they can.
How and where should we even start?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/supervisa.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...ho.asp#who_can

Read above and apply it to you and your family but there is no easy way right now.

Failing that then they would need to apply through the normal routes.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 8:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, as per the links given to you above you can't sponsor your brother, so he'll need to figure out his own visa route.

You may be able to sponsor your parents though, it's just that the program has been paused to try and clear some of the backlog (applications were taking 7 yrs or so!). But keep an eye out for the program reopening and if not, they could visit long term on the supervisa.

HTH.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

leeds_sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info thats kinda what I thought, They are only in there 50's so they will still need to work, Unfortunately they my just have to wait till the program reopens, and as for my brother i'm really not sure about him, hes a life guard and teaches for a leisure center, a fine profession indeed but not a skilled trade.
I think they need to talk to someone back home but I have heard of some real horror stories using companies like that, are there any you would recommend?
Old Apr 8th 2013, 6:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leeds_sparky
I think they need to talk to someone back home but I have heard of some real horror stories using companies like that, are there any you would recommend?
If you search the forum, then you'll find recommended companies. There are one or two that are always recommended on here. But really, they don't need to talk to anybody at all unless they want to - any decent immigration consultant will do a free online visa assessment for them to tell them if they have any chance.

From what you've said, your brother may well struggle. How old is he?

Alternatively, you can get them to sign up to this forum, and will be able to help steer them in the direction of which visa they may be eligible for (if any).

Good luck.