Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

My childs entitlement to citizenship

My childs entitlement to citizenship

Old Jun 7th 2009, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

angie123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My childs entitlement to citizenship

Hi, my child was born in UK, but I am full canadian citizen, born and bred there.

anyone tell me if i have to do anything special to bring him in? Can i apply for the citizenship card later?
Old Jun 7th 2009, 1:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My childs entitlement to citizenship

Originally Posted by angie123
Hi, my child was born in UK, but I am full canadian citizen, born and bred there.

anyone tell me if i have to do anything special to bring him in? Can i apply for the citizenship card later?
Child will need a Canadian passport. It may be possible to get a temporary Canadian passport but it is best to get the citizenship card first.

Is this an urgent question?

Child is Canadian by descent, make sure you know the consequences.
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canadi...hip_by_Descent

Also, are you also a British citizen?

You asked this question some months ago:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=567514

also you need to resolve the custody issues:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=613407

Last edited by JAJ; Jun 7th 2009 at 1:19 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

VCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really nice

We obtained temporary passports for our children, as the wait time for citizenship cards was quite long. I would apply for the citizenship card now, it's not complicated, and apply for a temporary passport (1 year) if you're planning on leaving soon.

Having the citizenship card does make it easier on arrival - registering for school etc.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

dan_nick is an unknown quantity at this point

I applied for a Citizenship card for my son and I am still waiting for it, it has now been 11 months, I contacted CIC and they say it now takes on average15 months for these cards. They told me I can apply for a two year tempoary Canadian passport if it doesn't arrive by September (we fly in Nov 09) aslong as I send proof that I applied for the citizenship card.

Hope this helps
Old Jun 9th 2009, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

rizzelator is an unknown quantity at this point

I have also applied for the citizenship card, by descent, it has been a year now, I have been told several times by CHC london that the processing would take up to 12 months to complete, so if it is now 15 months i'd be pretty miffed, I have flights booked for september!
Old Jun 9th 2009, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

dan_nick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rizzelator
I have also applied for the citizenship card, by descent, it has been a year now, I have been told several times by CHC london that the processing would take up to 12 months to complete, so if it is now 15 months i'd be pretty miffed, I have flights booked for september!
can you keep us posted, if you recieve your card soon then mine should be right around the corner. If it doesn't arrive I have the temporary passport form that I could email you. CHC told me passports are taking 15 days.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

yep will do, unfortunately i dont think that i qualify for a temporary passport, it seems to be geared for dependant children, although i suppose i should get on to the embassy soon about it.

If worst comes to worst I could just go as a visitor for a month or two, but I would prefer to be able to start working as soon as i get over there (if i get a job of course )
Old Jun 9th 2009, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

I assume you and your child are living in the UK. It depends on what your plans are.

A Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (CCC) takes 15-20 months right now. You can get a passport right away, but according to CHC London you must apply for a CCC at the same time.

If you plan to move to Canada any time in the next two years, you should apply for both a passport and a CCC now. The passport is enough to get your child into the medical insurance system or school. The CCC will eventually show up.

If it is not at all likely you will move to Canada in the next two years, the you can just apply for a CCC.

I do not know if you can apply for a CCC now, and then before that is issued apply for a passport.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Just to update, I emailed CHC London and they told me that processing for citizenship card is now taking 12-15 months. I had emailed before at the end of april, and was told then that it was taking 12 months, so by my reckoning that must mean that no applications have been processed since then!

My thinking is that by saying applications are taking 12 months, that at the moment applications recieved 12 months ago are being processed now.