Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Must I Be a Millionaire to Immigrate to Quebec?

Must I Be a Millionaire to Immigrate to Quebec?

Old Feb 25th 2001, 1:28 am
David Geary

Regarding immigration to Québec, the book Living and Working in Canada by Janet Macdonald,
states "Self-employed applicants need experience, at least $250,000 and a good knowledge
of Québec...".

Is this correct? I have a good knowledge of Québec, but I'm somewhat lacking when it comes
to the other qualification.

Thanks,

david

Old Feb 25th 2001, 3:23 am
Andrew Miller

Candidates in Entrepreneur and Self-Employed categories destined for Quebec must meet the
criteria set out in the Quebec statutes and regulations which impose certain minimum
standards in terms of experience and net assets (at least $200,000 Can.). They must also
have sufficient financial resources to pay for transportation to Quebec and their family's
living expenses during a six-month settlement period in Quebec.

Entrepreneurs:

To qualify in this category, an immigration applicant must:

. have net assets of at least $200,000 (Can);

. have at least three years of experience as manager of an agricultural, industrial or
commercial establishment, in the planning, organization, supervision, coordination, and
control of human, material and financial resources;

. demonstrate his intention of setting up in business in Québec by proposing a business
undertaking he will take an active part in managing and in which he will make a
financial investment acceptable to Québec;

. maintain or create at least three jobs for Québec residents other than himself and
members of his immediate family.

Self-employed:

To qualify in this category, an immigrant must:

. have net assets of at least $200,000 (Can);

. have at least three years of experience, including one in business management and two
in areas of economic activity related to the enterprise he plans to create or acquire
in Québec;

. demonstrate his intention of setting up in business in Québec by proposing a business
undertaking he will manage and in which he will invest.

So, as you see you don't need to be a millionaire to qualify as Entrepreneur or
Self-Employed under Quebec rules. A more harsher qualifying criteria apply to those who
are interested in immigration under Investor category - net worth of at least $800,000 and
mandatory investment of $400,000 for 5 years in approved project.

But if you have decent educations, skills and work experience, your occupation is on the
list of professions open for immigration to Quebec and you meet other criteria then you
don't need to have any substantial financial resources and you may apply under Independent
(Skilled Workers) category.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending an email)

> Regarding immigration to Québec, the book Living and Working in Canada by Janet
> Macdonald, states "Self-employed applicants need experience, at least $250,000 and a
> good knowledge of Québec...".
>
> Is this correct? I have a good knowledge of Québec, but I'm somewhat lacking when it
> comes to the other qualification.
>
> Thanks,
>
>
> david

Old Feb 25th 2001, 8:15 pm
Graham Parsons

You may want to consider applying through the Federal route (CIC) rather than direct to
Québec. As I understand it, there is, strictly speaking, no minimum net worth
requirements for both Self-employed or Entrepreneur category, though you would still need
to show adequate resources for your plans. If you are successful, you can, of course,
move to Québec.

Good luck!

Graham

> Regarding immigration to Québec, the book Living and Working in Canada by Janet
> Macdonald, states "Self-employed applicants need experience, at least $250,000 and a
>
> Is this correct? I have a good knowledge of Québec, but I'm somewhat lacking when it
>
> Thanks,
>
>
> david

Old Feb 26th 2001, 5:50 pm
David Cohen

>

Business Class applicants, in general, which includes the Self Employed category do
generally require sufficient assets to meet eligibility requirements. No amount is
specified in the law for this category, and would depend on the nature of the applicant's
business plan.

If you do not meet the financial requirements of the Business Class, then you may wish to
consider the Quebec skilled worker program:

http://canadavisa.com/documents/quebec.htm
________
CAMPBELL, COHEN - attorneys at law [email protected] http://canadavisa.com

Online Community: http://canadavisa.com/community