Multiple TWP at the same time?

Old Aug 28th 2008, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

BenB2 is a jewel in the roughBenB2 is a jewel in the roughBenB2 is a jewel in the roughBenB2 is a jewel in the rough
Default Multiple TWP at the same time?

Hi,

As a foreign work can you have two jobs each on a different TWP at the same time. Or are you only allowed to have one current TWP at any one time?

Kind Regards

Ben
Old Aug 28th 2008, 7:32 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Multiple TWP at the same time?

A TWP is issued for a full-time job, so by definition, it's not possible to have 2 WP's.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

BenB2 is a jewel in the roughBenB2 is a jewel in the roughBenB2 is a jewel in the roughBenB2 is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

I am happy to accept that is the way the enlightened system works - but they even have a category in expedited labour for bar work and food servers. These jobs often have shifts that you do.

Are they full time? Or is any job only full time if you are doing 37.5 hours a week and any job doing less than that number of hours is ineligible for a work permit?

I know a lot of people in the UK that have full time jobs in the day and a second job in the evening such as bar work.

Ben
Old Aug 28th 2008, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

Airborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant futureAirborne Spark has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BenB2
Hi,

As a foreign work can you have two jobs each on a different TWP at the same time. Or are you only allowed to have one current TWP at any one time?

Kind Regards

Ben
Ben,

When I came out on my current job in July I still had a Works permit valid for my previous employer, I just handed it to Immigration when I picked up my new visa.

I however have applied for another job and a works permit has been sent out, strangely to my current employer and not my mailing address, so I'm trying to track it down. A bit awkward to say the least.

Dave

Dave
Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

zippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant futurezippadydoda has a brilliant future

My OH has been offered a job where he will be salaried but only have to work during the summer. We wondered whether he could get another job in winter on different wp?
Old Aug 29th 2008, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

or to ask the same question from another angle - Snow/Ski Instructor is on the Expedited list in BC - Are these guys not even allowed to apply for another TWP while between seasons? wtf! And then resume the original one the next winter.

To digress slightly - and I am not "having a go" or "moaning" or "wining" but there are some "perceptions" or maybe even "truths" in the below and the polls seem to agree.

The whole TWP process does not work as far as I can tell for any project based, seasonal or contract type professions - despite the provinces screaming out for these more dynamic labour resources the whole process is engrained in the monolithic corporate land of single large employer for many many years. (and it works marginally at best for them with a tendency to enroot dissatisfied people into companies because it is to difficult and restrictive to change jobs, the kids love school etc etc - this is not good for any business)

It wouldn't be so bad if the process hadn't become fundamentally broken due to the huge processing times for LMO and TWP + TWP only being valid for the duration of the LMO - if LMO takes 6 months and TWP takes 6 months - as soon as you get the TWP you have to submit another application for another LMO so that you stand a chance of getting the next visa and even then I can see them not processing the renewal in the residual six months.

In the spirit of positivity and changing things for the better - IMHO LMO needs to be scraped altogether and they should build annual industry/province quotas in the TWPs, support multiple permitted NOCs and employments on a single TWP but tied to provinces - and have a category for unskilled added to all TWPs automatically. Plus all TWP visas get turned around in under 60 days.

If they did that it would also solve a lot of the backlog problems with SW PR because people would be prepared to use TWPs more readily rather than being treated like cattle. It would also solve a lot of Canada's labour problems in businesses. Plus they can keep a tight reign on annual quotas and renewals by industry type to prevent over supply and focus on a per province basis with a lot more input from the provincial government's into their needs and quotas. To assess LMO on a per case basis seems crazy to me. (Almost as crazy as trying to come up with a single Canada wide high priority list - but that is another story as we all know)

If they could sort out the TWP mess then a lot of problems in the PR categories would also ease - and its not just me that thinks this - there was a Canadian think tank that came to exactly the same conclusion that the core problem was in the TWP/LMO side of immigration which needed urgently sorting out.

Family re-unification also needs restricting and assessing on the same criteria as TWP / SP / PR applied to all family members over 18. Sorry but letting in anyone through the back door on humanitarian ground is not helping anybody in Canada either and openly abused. Again - recent internet post from well respected Canadians say exactly the same thing.

What can we say bureaucrats and politicians are a wonderful cocktail.

But that's a world wide problem of public sector bureaucrats vs private sector and industry. One makes the rules but has no comprehension of the needs of the other just that they want to control everything.

That isn't directed against Canada specifically, the idiots in Brussels and Westminster are just as bad if not worse.

Kind Regards

Ben

Last edited by BenB2; Aug 29th 2008 at 4:31 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:22 am
Just Joined

Bootneck has a brilliant futureBootneck has a brilliant futureBootneck has a brilliant futureBootneck has a brilliant futureBootneck has a brilliant futureBootneck has a brilliant future

That was an ace comment and a timely 'vent' about a system that has handcuffed itself to the detriment of economic development - Pronvincially and Federally. It really is about time things were brought up to date. Still, my TWP runs out in May next year and by that time my PNP/SW app ought to be complete. Unless, of course, the government(s) change processing times... again! Keep up the good comment. Cheers. BN