Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

moving to vancouver visa application times

moving to vancouver visa application times

Old Nov 10th 2011, 5:59 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 66
set321go is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to vancouver visa application times

Hello,

My girlfriend has spend the past couple of years working out in Canada and loves it out there, she is unlikely to have any issues as her previous Canadian employer offered to sponsor her visa if she wants to return.I spent a couple of weeks in Vancouver this year and am pretty keen to go out there for a year at least to begin with.

I am a Java programmer and have joined up to a few mailing lists to see what the job markets like and if there is much possibility of me getting work. What i would like to know is what the lead time is for a visa? I would like to move out to van at the end of next year sept onwards really.

Does anyone have any experience of the it sector for Java out in Vancouver? your help would be much appreciated.

I Only graduated from Uni in 2010, but have been employed full time since, would this work in my favor?

thanks for the help
Alex
set321go is offline  
Old Nov 10th 2011, 7:15 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 66
set321go is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to vancouver visa application times

Originally Posted by set321go View Post
Hello,

My girlfriend has spend the past couple of years working out in Canada and loves it out there, she is unlikely to have any issues as her previous Canadian employer offered to sponsor her visa if she wants to return.I spent a couple of weeks in Vancouver this year and am pretty keen to go out there for a year at least to begin with.

I am a Java programmer and have joined up to a few mailing lists to see what the job markets like and if there is much possibility of me getting work. What i would like to know is what the lead time is for a visa? I would like to move out to van at the end of next year sept onwards really.

Does anyone have any experience of the it sector for Java out in Vancouver? your help would be much appreciated.

I Only graduated from Uni in 2010, but have been employed full time since, would this work in my favor?

thanks for the help
Alex
do i have persmission to move my posts? I cant work it out, This should really be in the imigration forum.

thanks
set321go is offline  
Old Nov 10th 2011, 7:37 pm
  #3  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 32,412
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to vancouver visa application times

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by set321go View Post
What i would like to know is what the lead time is for a visa? I would like to move out to van at the end of next year sept onwards really.
What kind of visa are you referring to? The timescales really will depend on that.

Originally Posted by set321go View Post
do i have persmission to move my posts? I cant work it out, This should really be in the imigration forum.
No, only a mod can do it for you, but it's in the right place now.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:00 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 66
set321go is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to vancouver visa application times

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Hi, and welcome to BE.



What kind of visa are you referring to? The timescales really will depend on that.



No, only a mod can do it for you, but it's in the right place now.
im not really sure, i thought i had to apply for a temporary work visa and then apply for a full work permit after that, but i think there are probably other options like the bunac, but i think that requires me to leave at the end of the visa period.

Can i get into canada without a job? I would prefer to go with one arranged.

I find the whole canadian visa website quite confusing tbh. I end up going round in circles ending up back where i started.
set321go is offline  
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:21 pm
  #5  
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 12,830
Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to vancouver visa application times

Originally Posted by set321go View Post
im not really sure, i thought i had to apply for a temporary work visa and then apply for a full work permit after that, but i think there are probably other options like the bunac, but i think that requires me to leave at the end of the visa period.

Can i get into canada without a job? I would prefer to go with one arranged.

I find the whole canadian visa website quite confusing tbh. I end up going round in circles ending up back where i started.
here
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration
here
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...Hunting-Canada
and here
http://www.cic.gc.ca/app/ctcvac/engl...come-to-canada
Aviator is offline  
Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:25 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 66
set321go is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to vancouver visa application times

thanks, not really trawled this site yet so they are a great help
set321go is offline  
Old Nov 11th 2011, 9:36 am
  #7  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 32,412
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to vancouver visa application times

Originally Posted by set321go View Post
im not really sure, i thought i had to apply for a temporary work visa and then apply for a full work permit after that,
There's no such thing as a 'full work permit', but perhaps you're thinking of Permanent Residency? You could apply for a Temp Work Permit, and then hopefully use that to apply for PR. For the TWP, you'll need a job offer and a Labour Market Opinion (something your employer has to apply for, to prove they've advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find a Canadian willing, or able, to do the job).

Originally Posted by set321go View Post
there are probably other options like the bunac, but i think that requires me to leave at the end of the visa period.
There is Working Holiday Visa (which you can either get through Bunac or direct via CIC), the program opens again in Dec/Jan for next year's visas. That would give you a years open work permit. Bear in mind that a normal TWP would also require you to leave at the end of it, unless you can extend it or get PR before that.

Originally Posted by set321go View Post
Can i get into canada without a job? I would prefer to go with one arranged.
You can if you get a WHV, as that's an open work permit, or if you just go over on a visitor visa (max six months, and you can't work on it). But for most longer term visas, you'll need a job, but it does depend - some people are eligible for PR without a job offer, but you'll need to check and see if you are among them.

HTH a bit. Hopefully the links you've been give will help answer most of your questions, but do shout if you have any more and somebody will always try and answer them for you.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Nov 11th 2011, 11:28 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 66
set321go is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to vancouver visa application times

this is all really valuable info. If i apply for a WHV when it opens. Is that 1 year from date of issue or 1 year from entry to the country?
set321go is offline  
Old Nov 11th 2011, 12:18 pm
  #9  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 32,412
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to vancouver visa application times

Originally Posted by set321go View Post
this is all really valuable info. If i apply for a WHV when it opens. Is that 1 year from date of issue or 1 year from entry to the country?
A year from the date of entry.

christmasoompa is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.