Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Moving from UK to Canada to live off-grid

Moving from UK to Canada to live off-grid

Old Jul 7th 2015, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to Canada to live off-grid

Have you thought of Haida Gwaii?

If you're under 30 your best bet might be to try to get an IEC work permit but you'll have to wait at least until next year as all this year's places have gone.

S
Old Jul 7th 2015, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SurfCFC
Are they? Well you can tell we haven't really looked that far into this can't you! Yeah, we would be open to any of the regions, but for some reason liked BC anywhere else you could recommend, with not too extreme climate?
Well I'm biased towards Nova Scotia, cheap property & probably not a bad place for that 'live off the grid' experience, you can be just outside a town with all the amenities but still feel in the middle of nowhere.

Nearly all of Canada has to deal with snow for a few months but temperatures in NS are a lot milder than some other parts of the country.

This is the main property site for Canada:

Real Estate Listings in Canada: houses, condos, land, property | REALTOR.ca
Old Jul 7th 2015, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

SurfCFC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Have you thought of Haida Gwaii?

If you're under 30 your best bet might be to try to get an IEC work permit but you'll have to wait at least until next year as all this year's places have gone.

S
That place looks absolutely gorgeous! I have looked at the IEC permit, but we don't want to go really until we're in our mid-thirties, so that rules that out I guess?

We just did the eligibility test based on points for education, skills, etc. and it actually came back as accept - however I don't think our jobs are actually classed as 'skilled work' unfortunately.

Thanks mikelincs!! Yeah I guess I am! No, I know it will be cold in Winter, but I don't think I would cope with -40's. Up to -10 I could probably live with, as long as it was only for 4-5 months a year!!
Old Jul 7th 2015, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

SurfCFC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by confused_uk
Well I'm biased towards Nova Scotia, cheap property & probably not a bad place for that 'live off the grid' experience, you can be just outside a town with all the amenities but still feel in the middle of nowhere.

Nearly all of Canada has to deal with snow for a few months but temperatures in NS are a lot milder than some other parts of the country.

This is the main property site for Canada:

Real Estate Listings in Canada: houses, condos, land, property | REALTOR.ca
Thank you Sounds perfect, far enough away but also close enough to pop into town for supplies!

I'll take a look at that site, thanks
Old Jul 7th 2015, 2:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

We just did the eligibility test based on points for education, skills, etc. and it actually came back as accept - however I don't think our jobs are actually classed as 'skilled work' unfortunately.
I'm sure they would be (the vast majority of jobs are classed as skilled), but being accepted and being picked from the pool are two different things. If you score above about 450 on the CRS then you stand a good chance of being selected and being able to apply for PR.

HTH.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 3:31 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

That place looks absolutely gorgeous! I have looked at the IEC permit, but we don't want to go really until we're in our mid-thirties, so that rules that out I guess?

Thanks mikelincs!! Yeah I guess I am! No, I know it will be cold in Winter, but I don't think I would cope with -40's. Up to -10 I could probably live with, as long as it was only for 4-5 months a year!!

Before you tackle visa's I would go back to research mode... Winter this year in Ontario at least certainly was 6 months of snow on the ground and regular temp of -30. When you get to -10 you start thinking it's quite pleasant.

The other thing to "bear" in mind and I have Canadian friends who live off grid and they regularly post things on Facebook about bears and coyotes, raccoons stealing chickens, and needing to shoot a nuisance black bear. I think they made sausages I'm not sure I would be savvy enough and certainly BC has it's fair share of grizzly's- especially off grid..
Old Jul 9th 2015, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

waltsdog is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like it would be sensible to get some Canadian experience in whilst you are eligible for the IEC and perhaps use that to your advantage later if you decide you can put up with the weather, immigration can be a very long process depending on the routes you use.
Also remeber it's not just the winter, -40 is bad but so is +35, stupidly humid, a bajillion mosquitoes, horse flies and deer flies etc. Never mid the bigger bitey things that people have mentioned already.