Wikiposts

Moving from UK to Canada help?

Old Jul 16th 2013, 4:05 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to Canada help?

Originally Posted by DeanTolley
Alrighty, sounds like a plan. With getting a flight is there anyway to get like a 2-way flight but the return being anytime? or could I just get a one way and prove I have enough for a return?
Initially, you will need a return flight as otherwise you are unlikely to be allowed to fly (airlines in the UK) - plus it will be required when you get to Canada to prove that you are a bonfide visitor.

You could either buy an open ended ticket or else a cheapish return (Air Transat or similar) and not use the return part - returns are often cheaper than singles. With Air Canada you are able to pay to change the return date, so look into that also (although the flight will be more expensive).

Subsequently, when you put in (if you do) for an extension provided you can show the means to purchase a ticket (bank statement, visa, letter stating a ticket will be purchased for you) then you should be ok.

If you apply for an IEC and come to Canada using that, you would not need a return ticket as it is an acceptable working holiday visa.

Old Jul 16th 2013, 4:09 am
Just Joined

DeanTolley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by siouxie
Initially, you will need a return flight as otherwise you are unlikely to be allowed to fly (airlines in the UK) - plus it will be required when you get to Canada to prove that you are a bonfide visitor.

You could either buy an open ended ticket or else a cheapish return (Air Transat or similar) and not use the return part - returns are often cheaper than singles. With Air Canada you are able to pay to change the return date, so look into that also (although the flight will be more expensive).

Subsequently, when you put in (if you do) for an extension provided you can show the means to purchase a ticket (bank statement, visa, letter stating a ticket will be purchased for you) then you should be ok.

If you apply for an IEC and come to Canada using that, you would not need a return ticket as it is an acceptable working holiday visa.

I'm probably going to come before Dec/Jan though so would I be able to do it?(IEC)
Old Jul 16th 2013, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm probably going to come before Dec/Jan though so would I be able to do it?(IEC)
IEC might only open in January 2014 and you would need to send application to London UK. You can apply in Canada but nobody knows if there will be changes and all places allocated went pretty fast this year.
Keep an eye on any IEC 2014 thread or check the IEC website for more info
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...nce/index.aspx
Old Jul 16th 2013, 4:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
IEC might only open in January 2014 and you would need to send application to London UK. You can apply in Canada but nobody knows if there will be changes and all places allocated went pretty fast this year.
Keep an eye on any IEC 2014 thread or check the IEC website for more info
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...nce/index.aspx
Yeah I'll keep my eye on that, hoping to be there and settled/getting things sorted in the next 2-3 months though. Thanks for all your help
Old Jul 16th 2013, 6:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I'll keep my eye on that, hoping to be there and settled/getting things sorted in the next 2-3 months though. Thanks for all your help
You won't be moving or getting 'settled' then though, as you won't have a visa to do so.

You can visit, but expect to be coming back to the UK - if you don't need to because you manage to get a visa then great but if you turn up to the POE with all your worldly possessions, a one way ticket and no ties to the UK, that's a good way to risk being refused entry!

Waiting until 2014 and getting an IEC (with a visit or two before then) would be the sensible option, plus give you time to work and save up the money you'll need for the visa applications etc, whereas in Canada you wouldn't be able to work until you get the IEC.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 16th 2013 at 6:56 am.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 7:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You won't be moving or getting 'settled' then though, as you won't have a visa to do so.

You can visit, but expect to be coming back to the UK - if you don't need to because you manage to get a visa then great but if you turn up to the POE with all your worldly possessions, a one way ticket and no ties to the UK, that's a good way to risk being refused entry!

Waiting until 2014 and getting an IEC (with a visit or two before then) would be the sensible option, plus give you time to work and save up the money you'll need for the visa applications etc, whereas in Canada you wouldn't be able to work until you get the IEC.
I'm only gonna take a suitcase of clothes and stuff, and possibly mail somethings over in a package and I've saved haha.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 7:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm only gonna take a suitcase of clothes and stuff, and possibly mail somethings over in a package and I've saved haha.
And what ties will you have to the UK if asked?

How will you support yourself until you get the IEC in 6 months, do you have enough funds to do so? Not trying to be nosy and you don't have to answer, but these are the type of questions the CBSA officer may well ask you!
Old Jul 16th 2013, 7:08 am
Just Joined

And what ties will you have to the UK if asked?

How will you support yourself until you get the IEC in 6 months, do you have enough funds to do so? Not trying to be nosy and you don't have to answer, but these are the type of questions the CBSA officer may well ask you!
I said in a previous post my girlfriends Grandparents have agreed to financially support me while I'm there, I'd pay them back in time. Plus I've saved some.

Edit: I'll probably get one of them open return tickets or whatever that I could use whenever if needed.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 7:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I said in a previous post my girlfriends Grandparents have agreed to financially support me while I'm there, I'd pay them back in time. Plus I've saved some.
I guess the grandparents could pay for your flight and insurance if they want to help? That'll save a couple of thousand. They just can't help with the 'proof of funds' for visas, that has to be yours.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 7:19 am
Just Joined

I guess the grandparents could pay for your flight and insurance if they want to help? That'll save a couple of thousand. They just can't help with the 'proof of funds' for visas, that has to be yours.
It'll work out I don't spend any of my money at the moment other than paying my board at home.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 7:28 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It'll work out I don't spend any of my money at the moment other than paying my board at home.
You will be required to have proof of funds and proof of insurance under the IEC program.

What do I need to show as proof of funds upon arrival in Canada?

On your arrival in Canada, you must have a statement from your bank account that must have been issued no more than one (1) week before your departure for Canada. It must clearly demonstrate you have sufficient funds in your account to support yourself financially for the first three months of your stay in Canada (C$2,500).

What type of insurance must I subscribe to before leaving for Canada?

You must have and maintain insurance for the entire duration of your stay in Canada. Your insurance policy must cover you for:

Health care, hospitalization and repatriation;
The Canadian territory (the policy should specify North America, Canada/USA or worldwide);
The entire duration of your stay in Canada
You must be able to provide proof of this insurance to the Immigration Officer upon your entry to Canada.

You will also need to get your ACPO (Police certificate) before the program opens - it must not have been issued more than 3 months before submission.

By all means come over for a holiday for a few weeks but I think you should be fully prepared to return to the UK and wait until the IEC program opens again so you can come over and work and live without worrying.

Lots to think about and lots to plan!