Wikiposts

Moving from UK to Canada help?

Old Jul 16th 2013, 1:50 am
Just Joined

DeanTolley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from UK to Canada help?

Hello, I'm 19 at the moment and wish to move to Canada to live with my girlfriend, we just don't know how to go about doing it. Her grandparents have said they would let me live with them but I'm just clueless as to what to do, my girlfriend would be living there with me, so could I go there for so long and apply for a common law? or youth visa I've seen mentioned... I'm just really clueless, hoping to get out there as soon as possible even if I can't work for a couple of months

Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: She lives in Chemainus BC also, just incase it matters on which part of Canada.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from UK to Canada help?

This is probably a good place to start:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...an_Immigration
Old Jul 16th 2013, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeanTolley
Hello, I'm 19 at the moment and wish to move to Canada to live with my girlfriend, we just don't know how to go about doing it. Her grandparents have said they would let me live with them but I'm just clueless as to what to do, my girlfriend would be living there with me, so could I go there for so long and apply for a common law? or youth visa I've seen mentioned... I'm just really clueless, hoping to get out there as soon as possible even if I can't work for a couple of months

Edit: She lives in Chemainus BC also, just incase it matters on which part of Canada.
You can either get married and get her to sponsor you or prove you have been living together in a common law relationship for over 12 months.
Failing that then apply on the IEC for next year.
Failing that find an employer willing to apply for a Labour Market Opinion so you could work over here.
Failing that you could apply to be accepted to study in Canada and study for a degree.
There are other options but chances are they will be difficult for you to meet the criteria.
Read the Wiki on the blue bar at the top.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 2:19 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

The easiest way of being able to work would be to apply for a working holiday visa (International Experience Canada), which will allow you to work for a year and you could apply for a 2nd year. However, that program won't re-open until December/January and you would need to have everything prepared and ready to complete the application as places go very quickly.

You could also come to Canada as a visitor and see if you can find an employer willing and able to apply for a Labour Market Opinion (LMO) and you could then apply for a Temporary Work Permit (TWP).

Yes, if you lived 'as husband and wife' for a minimum of 12 months together and could show proof that you have combined your lives "as if married" then you could apply for spousal PR - common-law. The requirements are quite specific though, so you will need to document your relationship, show that you are combining your finances etc.

Another alternative to gain Permanent Residency (PR), depending on what you do for a living, would be to apply for Federal Skilled Worker (with job), Provincial Nomination (PNP) or Canadian Experience Class (CEC), but at 19 you may not have the experience or qualifications required.

BC does also have a semi-skill PNP but you would need to be working for a minimum of 9 months in a specific employment catagory to be able to qualify for it.

Long and the short of it would be:

Get a IEC working holiday Visa in December/January
or
Go out on holiday and attempt to find an employer that would be willing to get an LMO for you and apply for a TWP. Some corporations (Tim Hortons being one of them) have 'blanket' LMO's so it may be worth making some enquiries - but be prepared to have to return if you are unsuccessful.

Old Jul 16th 2013, 2:25 am
Just Joined

So does the marriage option mean I can go there and get married, and intentionally stay there while I look for work, (we've accepted it could take upto 12 months without me working) my main question is can I stay there without returning
Old Jul 16th 2013, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

So does the marriage option mean I can go there and get married, and intentionally stay there while I look for work, (we've accepted it could take upto 12 months without me working) my main question is can I stay there without returning
Its rather a drastic way of doing things just to get into the country but yes you could do it.
You are 19 so I think the marriage option should be looked as we really love each other yadda yadda yadda not a way to get into the country.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 2:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Its rather a drastic way of doing things just to get into the country but yes you could do it.
You are 19 so I think the marriage option should be looked as we really love each other yadda yadda yadda not a way to get into the country.
It's just a start and her family suggested we could get married (not a big wedding) just get married officially and then later in life have a big wedding.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 2:54 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It's just a start and her family suggested we could get married (not a big wedding) just get married officially and then later in life have a big wedding.
Unless you have been together for a reasonably long period of time and it is something that you have wanted to do (never mind her family) then it would be a mistake to get married in order to be in Canada, in my opinion.

What do your family think about the idea of you getting married? Have you and your girlfriend spent a lot of time together?

If you did get married then you would have to show proof that your relationship has been ongoing and is genuine. Just getting married does not guarantee Permanent Residency!

You will find that Canadians (generally) think if you get married PR is automatic - it isn't. Rushing into having a quick wedding ceremony may also put red flags up and there may be questions as to whether you have married for PR, rather than to spend the rest of your lives together.

If you did put in an application then you are looking at between 8 and 16 months before you get PR and you will have to show proof of funds to support yourself for that period in order to extend your visitor status if you wish to remain in Canada. An 'outland' application is quicker (you can remain in Canada whilst it's being processed) but wouldn't allow you to work until you got PR - about 8 months; an 'inland' application is much slower but would allow you to work once you received 1st stage approval (about 6 months) but then would take another 8 months+ to get PR.

I would strongly suggest you either go out on holiday and then apply for the IEC in December/January or else wait until then before coming to Canada - then you can live together and not rush into anything.

Old Jul 16th 2013, 3:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by siouxie
Unless you have been together for a reasonably long period of time and it is something that you have wanted to do (never mind her family) then it would be a mistake to get married in order to be in Canada, in my opinion.

What do your family think about the idea of you getting married? Have you and your girlfriend spent a lot of time together?

If you did get married then you would have to show proof that your relationship has been ongoing and is genuine. Just getting married does not guarantee Permanent Residency!

You will find that Canadians (generally) think if you get married PR is automatic - it isn't. Rushing into having a quick wedding ceremony may also put red flags up and there may be questions as to whether you have married for PR, rather than to spend the rest of your lives together.

If you did put in an application then you are looking at between 8 and 16 months before you get PR and you will have to show proof of funds to support yourself for that period in order to extend your visitor status if you wish to remain in Canada. An 'outland' application is quicker (you can remain in Canada whilst it's being processed) but wouldn't allow you to work until you got PR - about 8 months; an 'inland' application is much slower but would allow you to work once you received 1st stage approval (about 6 months) but then would take another 8 months+ to get PR.

I would strongly suggest you either go out on holiday and then apply for the IEC in December/January or else wait until then before coming to Canada - then you can live together and not rush into anything.

I understand what you're saying about the marriage. But how long am I able to stay in Canada without having a PR?
Edit: Is there anyway her Grandparents/parents could Sponsor me?
Old Jul 16th 2013, 3:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I understand what you're saying about the marriage. But how long am I able to stay in Canada without having a PR?
There are plenty of ways to stay in Canada without PR - the most obvious option being the IEC, mentioned above. That would give you a couple of years.

You could then get your gf to sponsor you for PR once you've lived together for a year so you can stay permanently, but no need to get married (unless you want to of course!).

And no, her parents can't sponsor you, only she can do that.

HTH.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 3:08 am
Banned

You receive 'up to' 6 months when you first come to Canada as a visitor - you will need to be able to show proof that you have sufficient funds to sustain yourself (and a letter of invitation from her Grandparents saying that you are staying with them and they will support you financially would help) - you will also need a return ticket.

Once you are here, when your visitor status is about to expire you can apply for a visitor extension either online or by snail mail. Whilst you are waiting for a decision you will be on 'implied status' meaning you can remain in Canada legally until you get a response from CIC. If you apply through 'snail mail' then it takes approximately 90 days for them to process it, giving you an automatic extra 3 months. Again, you will need to show proof that you have sufficient funds to remain and either a return ticket or the financial means to get one - and a reason for requesting it (such as developing your relationship). You would ask for 12 months but probably only get 6.

The easier thing would be to come over for a holiday and then apply for an IEC working holiday visa - giving you an automatic 12 months of working - and you can always apply for a 2nd one the year after if necessary.

Her grandparents cannot sponsor you, unfortunately.

Hope that helps a little!

Old Jul 16th 2013, 3:15 am
Just Joined

You receive 'up to' 6 months when you first come to Canada as a visitor - you will need to be able to show proof that you have sufficient funds to sustain yourself (and a letter of invitation from her Grandparents saying that you are staying with them and they will support you financially would help) - you will also need a return ticket.

Once you are here, when your visitor status is about to expire you can apply for a visitor extension either online or by snail mail. Whilst you are waiting for a decision you will be on 'implied status' meaning you can remain in Canada legally until you get a response from CIC. If you apply through 'snail mail' then it takes approximately 90 days for them to process it, giving you an automatic extra 3 months. Again, you will need to show proof that you have sufficient funds to remain and either a return ticket or the financial means to get one - and a reason for requesting it (such as developing your relationship). You would ask for 12 months but probably only get 6.

The easier thing would be to come over for a holiday and then apply for an IEC working holiday visa - giving you an automatic 12 months of working - and you can always apply for a 2nd one the year after if necessary.

Her grandparents cannot sponsor you, unfortunately.

Hope that helps a little!

This helps alot, I could get the letter saying they would support me, and spend 6 months and in these 6 months I could apply for everything else to become a PR(while looking for a LMO job) and if needed extend for 3 months, then if I could extend again and by that time it would count as common law?
Edit: I would apply for the IEC too.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 3:19 am
Banned

This helps alot, I could get the letter saying they would support me, and spend 6 months and in these 6 months I could apply for everything else to become a PR(while looking for a LMO job) and if needed extend for 3 months, then if I could extend again and by that time it would count as common law?
Edit: I would apply for the IEC too.
You need a full 12 months minimum of living together as if husband and wife to become 'common law'.

1) Come to Canada on holiday
2) Apply for the IEC working holiday visa in December/January - this will give you a year (and you can apply for a 2nd year if necessary)
3) Find work (with the IEC open work permit)
4) Keep living together
5) After 12 months of living together, apply for spousal (common-law) sponsorship

Yes, you can also look for an employer in the interim who might apply for an LMO for you.

Old Jul 16th 2013, 3:33 am
Just Joined

You need a full 12 months minimum of living together as if husband and wife to become 'common law'.

1) Come to Canada on holiday
2) Apply for the IEC working holiday visa in December/January - this will give you a year (and you can apply for a 2nd year if necessary)
3) Find work (with the IEC open work permit)
4) Keep living together
5) After 12 months of living together, apply for spousal (common-law) sponsorship

Yes, you can also look for an employer in the interim who might apply for an LMO for you.

Alrighty, sounds like a plan. With getting a flight is there anyway to get like a 2-way flight but the return being anytime? or could I just get a one way and prove I have enough for a return?
Old Jul 16th 2013, 3:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alrighty, sounds like a plan. With getting a flight is there anyway to get like a 2-way flight but the return being anytime? or could I just get a one way and prove I have enough for a return?
Some airlines sell open end return tickets check with the airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.