Moving to Toronto

Old Jul 4th 2011, 1:05 am
Just Joined

Legendary_Status is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Toronto

Hi all i'm new to the forum. My name is Paul and i'm a 25 year old from Northern Ireland. I guess yous get a load of threads like this but i'm going to try anyway in the off chance you can help me out. So yeah, me and my girlfriend have recently graduated from university, I got a BSC Hons Degree in Politics and Criminology (2.1) and she got a First Class BA Hons Degree in International Politics.

Just wondering if you could provide me with a bit of info about the whole process of moving from Northern Ireland if possible? Me and my girlfriend are looking to move over within the next few months to Toronto and we're both Irish passport holders so do we need a visa or what way does the whole process work? i.e where did you begin before you moved over? Also, whats Toronto like for job opportunities?

We're both pretty open-minded about the type of work we do as long as it keeps a roof over our heads and we can enjoy the odd night out having the craic. I currently work as a journalist full time for a local newspaper and my girlfriend is just working full time in sales at the moment until we move to the next stage of planning our Canada adventure.

We're preferably looking to move over for one year so would we have to have a job lined up before we go or what way does it work? I heard its possible to move over for 6 months without a visa if you're an Irish Passport holder, is this correct? We'd be looking to go for a year at least but if 6 months was all that was available we'd probably go anyway. Is the visa application as hard as the USA and other countries or is it just a matter of getting it done and then making a date to move over? I've been researching everywhere online over this past few weeks and i'm getting conflicting information from each different website so I guess i'm contacting yous instead because you have went through the process before and know exactly what it entails.

Anything else you can help with the whole thing would be brilliant. Cheers in advance, Paul
Old Jul 4th 2011, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

Aperture is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Moving to Toronto

As long as you're both between 18 and 30--and assuming your girlfriend isn't Canadian--your best bet for now is probably the BUNAC Work Canada visa:

http://www.bunac.org/usa/workcanada/

I'm Canadian, my partner is British, and he's been living here with me thanks to the working holiday visa he got via BUNAC.

You can also enter Canada as a visitor, though usually only for 6 months at a time and you wouldn't be allowed to work.