Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Moving to Ontario - Where do we begin???

Moving to Ontario - Where do we begin???

Old Sep 4th 2013, 11:10 am
Just Joined

DWhitwam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Ontario - Where do we begin???

Hi all thanks for reading
Me and my wife are wanting to emigrate to Ontario we've been a few times and love it out there,
We are wanting to move out there and set up a business, but we have no idea where to start!!!
We have 3 young children and a dog!! - don't know what difference this would make to our application ??
we currently have our own businesses over here in england and would like to take them to where we would like to be.
i'm a fully qualified electrician and my wife is fully qualified in childcare.
i have done some research - to an extent - but have no idea on even finding a job out there or getting sponsored somehow!!!!1

any thoughts or help would be greatly appriciated

Thanks
Old Sep 4th 2013, 4:10 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Ontario - Where do we begin???

Originally Posted by DWhitwam
Hi all thanks for reading
Me and my wife are wanting to emigrate to Ontario we've been a few times and love it out there,
We are wanting to move out there and set up a business, but we have no idea where to start!!!
We have 3 young children and a dog!! - don't know what difference this would make to our application ??
we currently have our own businesses over here in england and would like to take them to where we would like to be.
i'm a fully qualified electrician and my wife is fully qualified in childcare.
i have done some research - to an extent - but have no idea on even finding a job out there or getting sponsored somehow!!!!1

any thoughts or help would be greatly appriciated

Thanks
Welcome to BE!

You should start by reading the wiki about immigration to Canada http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...an_Immigration as it contains some really useful information.

If you wish to work as an Electrician you will need to become certified in Ontario first. There is a really good thread about this here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=807761

If your wife wishes to work as a child care provider, she will also need to get her qualifications recognised.

There is a self employment stream for Canada Permanent Residency - you can read more here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...ness/index.asp

There is also a Federal Skilled Worker (Trades) stream that you could apply to: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...plications.asp

Basically, your options are:

1) Get your Certificate of Qualification, apply for the FSW (Trades) stream
2) Get your C of Q and see if you can find an employer who would be willing to offer you a full time permanent job and whilst your application for FSW (Trades) is in process, come over on a Temporary Work Permit
3) Apply as a self-employed business person

After you have read through the various streams, please feel free to ask any questions you might have and someone will do their best to answer them for you.

Old Sep 6th 2013, 11:01 am
Just Joined

DWhitwam is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Moving to Ontario - Where do we begin???

Excellent I'm on it!
Thanks so much for the help