Moving to Ontario

Old Feb 4th 2014, 5:42 am
Just Joined

tonyv0801 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Ontario

Hi

Planning to open a business in Ontario. I am a Hong Kong resident, residing in HK and hold HKSAR passport. I am able to open a sole proprietorship without any issues in ontario … however, to get a residency via the self employment or the business investor program…. fees are too large and require at least 300,000 CAD - 1 Mil CAD to get residency.

I am not necessarily looking for residency and want to know if i can conduct my business in Canada without being a resident and without a work permit (as a self employed)

Any questions please discuss or private message me.

Cheers

Tony
Old Feb 4th 2014, 5:53 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Ontario

Originally Posted by tonyv0801
Hi

Planning to open a business in Ontario. I am a Hong Kong resident, residing in HK and hold HKSAR passport. I am able to open a sole proprietorship without any issues in ontario … however, to get a residency via the self employment or the business investor program…. fees are too large and require at least 300,000 CAD - 1 Mil CAD to get residency.

I am not necessarily looking for residency and want to know if i can conduct my business in Canada without being a resident and without a work permit (as a self employed)

Any questions please discuss or private message me.

Cheers

Tony
Welcome to BE.

In order to work as a self employed person in Canada you would require a work permit.

As to owning a business as a non resident, I believe that if you wished to incorporate you would need to find someone to act as your 'Agent for Service' (or equivalent depending on Province); or else start up a partnership.

As an example, here are the regulations for Extra Provincial companies in Ontario: http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...es_90e27_e.htm

Have you looked into the 'Start Up' stream where you can get assistance with funding and only have to prove settlement funds of between $11k and $29k. It seems it may be appropriate for you, provided you were able to find designated organisation funding approval. You would be able to obtain residency under this stream, together with a work permit whilst the application for PR is being processed.
Will I have to invest my own money if I want to apply for a start-up visa?

No, you are not required to invest any of your own money. The minimum investment required is an investment that comes from a Canadian venture capital fund or angel investor group that has been named as a participant in the program
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...ligibility.asp

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 4th 2014 at 5:58 am.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 6:04 am
Just Joined

Hi thanks for the quick response.

Is there a way I can get a work permit as a self employed person? Opening a business in Ontario is really straight forward and I don't need to incorporate my business as of now… a Sole proprietorship works just fine for the time being. that being said… how do i get an agent for service? from my understanding does that mean that they would own 25% of my company or something?

In any case... I am just wondering if i can conduct my business, live in Canada …. travel back and forth 2-3x a year to Hong Kong & come back to canada….without having to apply for residency in Canada? Intentions are to live in Canada for @ least 10 months a year.

I did read up on the designated organisations… Thanks. I don't really want to get funding for my business unless thats my only route to do this. How would i even get started with this? Any ideas?
Old Feb 5th 2014, 2:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Welcome to BE.

In order to work as a self employed person in Canada you would require a work permit.

As to owning a business as a non resident, I believe that if you wished to incorporate you would need to find someone to act as your 'Agent for Service' (or equivalent depending on Province); or else start up a partnership.

As an example, here are the regulations for Extra Provincial companies in Ontario: http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...es_90e27_e.htm

Have you looked into the 'Start Up' stream where you can get assistance with funding and only have to prove settlement funds of between $11k and $29k. It seems it may be appropriate for you, provided you were able to find designated organisation funding approval. You would be able to obtain residency under this stream, together with a work permit whilst the application for PR is being processed.
Will I have to invest my own money if I want to apply for a start-up visa?

No, you are not required to invest any of your own money. The minimum investment required is an investment that comes from a Canadian venture capital fund or angel investor group that has been named as a participant in the program
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...ligibility.asp

Is there a way I can get a work permit as a self employed person? Opening a business in Ontario is really straight forward and I don't need to incorporate my business as of now… a Sole proprietorship works just fine for the time being. that being said… how do i get an agent for service? from my understanding does that mean that they would own 25% of my company or something?

In any case... I am just wondering if i can conduct my business, live in Canada …. travel back and forth 2-3x a year to Hong Kong & come back to canada….without having to apply for residency in Canada? Intentions are to live in Canada for @ least 10 months a year.

I did read up on the designated organisations… Thanks. I don't really want to get funding for my business unless thats my only route to do this. How would i even get started with this? Any ideas?
Old Feb 5th 2014, 4:44 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyv0801

No, I don't believe you would be allowed to undertake work in Canada without a work permit as a self employed person. You may be able to visit and work temporarily as a business visitor. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...topic.asp?t=16 and http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/special-business.asp

If you read the link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...ligibility.asp, it tells you step by step how to go about the 'start up' stream.
Before you apply for the start-up visa, you must convince a designated organization to support your business idea. If the designated organization supports your business idea, it will give you a Letter of Support.

You must include your Letter of Support with your application as proof that a designated organization supports your business idea.

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 5th 2014 at 4:50 am.