moving to Canada on a work permit

Old May 22nd 2007, 3:54 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute
Default moving to Canada on a work permit

Hi all,
we have finally landed after a very long & stressful 30 months on a work and visitor permit. Lots of people it seems are selling up in the UK and moving to Canada just like we did, but I wonder if any of you have thought about what it's like to live in limbo until you find out IF you can stay?

When we moved to Calgary, we had high hopes of getting our PR fairly swiftly We qualified for a SW visa with 73 points and our application was fairly simple ie. married, no kids, both brits, worked in the same job for 20 & 9 years respectively, plenty of cash etc.

We renewed our temp visas after a year and about a month later I was diagnosed with cancer. I had a work permit, OH was in Canada on a visitor visa. My job was held open but I was not entitled to a penny in salary (as per my contract) so for 6 months while I was receiving chemo & radiotherapy, we had no income.

To add to an already stressful time, we were now unsure if I would pass my pr medical so we must have been the only people on earth praying that our med request DIDN"T arrive!

Thankfully when the med request did come, I had been clear of my cancer for just over a year although we knew that we were by no means in the clear as far as CIC was concerned.

I took lots of supporting documents to my medical from my oncologist and family doctor and we just kept our fingers crossed.

Luckily it all worked out for the best for us and we just officially landed yesterday. I am not trying to put any of you off of following your dreams. after all, that's exactly what we did, but just wanted to let you all know that anything could happen when you uproot your lives and the lives of your children to live in limbo land!
Old May 22nd 2007, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Canada on a work permit

You really do deserve your PR! I hope you really enjoyed your "landing" weekend - even the bears came out to greet you! (loved the pictures)

Here's to a very successful, happy and healthy future for the both of you.

Joanne
Old May 22nd 2007, 5:01 pm
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

up:wishing all the best you deserve to stay and be happygood luck to you and your husband
Kate
Old May 22nd 2007, 7:05 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Joanne & Kate.

What are you up to these days Kate? have you found a way to emmigrate yet?
Old May 22nd 2007, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of

Hi Louise

Glad you had a good weekend and that the "landing" went smoothly. It was a bit of a shock to read your story above as I did not realise all the turmoil you had been through in your time in Calgary. That must have been a terrible time for you both and for your families back home, but such a relief that you have been given the all-clear and got through your medical with no problems. Keep well and enjoy your new life as a permanent resident of Canada! Very best wishes for a very happy future there!

Lisa
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise033
Hi all,
we have finally landed after a very long & stressful 30 months on a work and visitor permit. Lots of people it seems are selling up in the UK and moving to Canada just like we did, but I wonder if any of you have thought about what it's like to live in limbo until you find out IF you can stay?

When we moved to Calgary, we had high hopes of getting our PR fairly swiftly We qualified for a SW visa with 73 points and our application was fairly simple ie. married, no kids, both brits, worked in the same job for 20 & 9 years respectively, plenty of cash etc.

We renewed our temp visas after a year and about a month later I was diagnosed with cancer. I had a work permit, OH was in Canada on a visitor visa. My job was held open but I was not entitled to a penny in salary (as per my contract) so for 6 months while I was receiving chemo & radiotherapy, we had no income.

To add to an already stressful time, we were now unsure if I would pass my pr medical so we must have been the only people on earth praying that our med request DIDN"T arrive!

Thankfully when the med request did come, I had been clear of my cancer for just over a year although we knew that we were by no means in the clear as far as CIC was concerned.

I took lots of supporting documents to my medical from my oncologist and family doctor and we just kept our fingers crossed.

Luckily it all worked out for the best for us and we just officially landed yesterday. I am not trying to put any of you off of following your dreams. after all, that's exactly what we did, but just wanted to let you all know that anything could happen when you uproot your lives and the lives of your children to live in limbo land!
Hi Louise,
Good post. Wishing you a well deserved heathy and happy
life here. Lovely photos of the bearsthanks for
sharing with us
Yoong