moving to Canada from uk

Old Aug 8th 2018, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Fwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond repute
Default moving to Canada from uk

Hi

I have been reading all your posts trying to gather as much information as possible but I’m still slightly confused by the whole process, my husband assures me he understands it but I’m starting to wonder!

So my husband and I are looking to move to Canada, he is 32 and I’m 29 we have 2 children and are all British, he is a fully qualified plumber/heating engineer, he has so far sent his qualifications off to be recognised to the college of Ontario, he has the relevant working ours too. I myself have a school education, I studied beauty therapy at college however do not have the relevant working hours in this as it’s not something i took further.

Once his qualifications come back we are going to take the ielts tests, my main confusion is what is the difference between the express entry and permanent residency? To apply for either does he need a job offer or to have taken the red seal examination? He is under the impression we can apply for permanent residency and look for a job once we arrive in Canada?!

Its a massive thing for us we are currently getting our house valued to sell it so we have the funds available to move, I have read you must show funds in your account is this at time of entry of the country or time of application?

any help is greatly appreciated, you all seem so knowledged and I’m just here scratching my head in confusion
Old Aug 8th 2018, 8:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Canada from uk

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Sounds like your husband has got a good grasp of things.

Originally Posted by Fwilkin
Once his qualifications come back we are going to take the ielts tests, my main confusion is what is the difference between the express entry and permanent residency? To apply for either does he need a job offer or to have taken the red seal examination? He is under the impression we can apply for permanent residency and look for a job once we arrive in Canada?!
EE is a way of getting Permanent Residency, so essentially they're the same thing. Yes, he needs either a job offer or provincial certification. You can check the program requirements for the Federal Skilled Trade Program here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ed-trades.html

And if he has provincial certification, then yes, once you have PR he can then look for a job once you arrive.

Its a massive thing for us we are currently getting our house valued to sell it so we have the funds available to move, I have read you must show funds in your account is this at time of entry of the country or time of application?
Both. You need it when you apply for PR, and also when you 'land' in Canada to activate your visa.

HTH a bit, best of luck.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Fwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond reputeFwilkin has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

Thats good to know we will need to show funds on application as we were under the impression it was just upon entry.

Forgive if i sound silly, so we can either apply for PR or EE but the end result is the same will be potentially granted PR at the end of either process? Or are they both the same thing? If they are different which would you say is the quicker route to gain PR. After reading the link (thank you) I can see we would be better if he gained a job offer once his qualifications are recognised. Do you have any advise or personal experience of this, are there any website you could recommend we look at for job advertisement?

Many thanks
Old Aug 8th 2018, 11:19 am
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Forgive if i sound silly, so we can either apply for PR or EE but the end result is the same will be potentially granted PR at the end of either process? Or are they both the same thing? If they are different which would you say is the quicker route to gain PR.
EE is an application process, PR is the status you gain if your application is successful. Once you have done your IELTS and had your qualifications assessed you create an express entry profile and go into a pool of candidates. At certain intervals the Canadian Government issues Invitations to Apply (ITAs) to the top-ranked candidates in the pool, and if you are drawn out you then submit an EE application.

If you are successful you are granted Permanent Residency and have most of the same rights and freedoms as a Canadian Citizen, the most obvious exceptions being that you can't vote in elections and could still be deported for serious crimes.

You can see the previous rounds if invitations here. Assuming it's the Federal Skilled Trades Program route you will be taking, probably wise to do 'CTRL+F' on that page and search for the word 'trades' to see the draws for that specific stream.
Old Aug 8th 2018, 1:40 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

His qualifications will not be 'recognised', if he can prove the relevant work experience he will be able to challenge and sit the inter-provincial exam for plumbing. A gas ticket is a separate certification oveseen by the TSSA https://www.tssa.org/en/fuels/traini...ification.aspx
He will have to sit the exams to become certified in Ontario. The plumbing is Red Seal endorsed, the gas ticket is not and has to be taken in any province one chooses to work.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Curivan123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im in pretty much the same boat as the above post.

Im a plumbing and heating engineer with 11 years experience. currently waiting to sit my IELTS exam.

So if my ECA won't be recognised then will the EE be declined.......

So, basically need to fly to Canada from the UK to sit a plumbing exam or have a job offer.

Last edited by Curivan123; Aug 12th 2018 at 8:04 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

posted by Curivan123
So if my ECA won't be recognised then will the EE be declined.......basically need to fly to Canada from the UK to sit a plumbing exam.

bit ridiculous for a country short of tradesman and according to reports, they will need foreign workers to fill current tradesmen who will be retiring in the next 10 years

Not so ridiculous from Canada's point of view.

It is necessary to determine that you have been trained up to the standards required here, which are not necessarily the same as in the UK. Do you work in metric, for example?

As for replacing tradesmen who are retiring, many provinces have very adequate apprenticeship programmes in effect or being increased in size.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scilly
posted by Curivan123

Not so ridiculous from Canada's point of view.

It is necessary to determine that you have been trained up to the standards required here, which are not necessarily the same as in the UK. Do you work in metric, for example?

As for replacing tradesmen who are retiring, many provinces have very adequate apprenticeship programmes in effect or being increased in size.

just going off some data Ive read regarding retired tradesmen,

So on my EE profile, my UK plumbing qualification is basically worthless over there. is their much point sending it away to to get verified? waste of money if you ask me. I thought an EE application needs an ECA verification does it not?
Old Aug 12th 2018, 8:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Curivan123
So on my EE profile, my UK plumbing qualification is basically worthless over there. is their much point sending it away to to get verified? waste of money if you ask me. I thought an EE application needs an ECA verification does it not?
Nope. Assuming you'd be applying under FST then it's not mandatory, you just won't get any points for education without it. But as you'll need provincial certification or a job offer to be eligible, as as the points requirement is so much lower for FST candidates, you can choose not to if you think you'll score enough without it.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

how much are express entry points then roughly to qualify for federal trade worker then?

is this a different draw from the express entry points number of around 442?

If they dont recognise the UK plumbing qualification then they will be scoring me 0 for education anyway will they not or do they offer points on the trade worker with it?
Or would you advise getting a high school education verified??

such a grey area
Old Aug 12th 2018, 8:46 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

just going off some data Ive read regarding retired tradesmen,

if your starter for 10 is to criticize the system, this will not be the place for you.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 8:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

how much are express entry points then roughly to qualify for federal trade worker then?

is this a different draw from the express entry points number of around 442?
It's still the same draws, but FST requirement is much lower. Last draw was down to 288. Check out all the draws and you can see the FST points levels here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-previous.html

If they dont recognise the UK plumbing qualification then they will be scoring me 0 for education anyway will they not or do they offer points on the trade worker with it?
Or would you advise getting a high school education verified??
It's not really a grey area, if you need the points then get an ECA, if you don't then no need to. Even secondary education is worth points though.

Canada loves it's bits of paper and you'll have to jump through a lot of hoops to move and work there - if you're not keen on that, it may not be the place for you!
Old Aug 12th 2018, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

""It's still the same draws, but FST requirement is much lower. Last draw was down to 288."" - can't find the 288 numbers anywhere.

288 is more than enough with a job offer for me and the secondary education verified though.

yeah lots of hoops to jump through. be worthwhile, just frustrating In the early stages.

kinda thought the ECA is mandatory. just looks not kinda clear when you read up on things.

cheers for that link and thanks for replying.

Last edited by Curivan123; Aug 12th 2018 at 9:17 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2018, 9:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

kinda thought the ECA is mandatory.
It is for other routes i.e. FSW, just not for FST.

HTH.
Old Aug 13th 2018, 5:31 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

""It's still the same draws, but FST requirement is much lower. Last draw was down to 288."" - can't find the 288 numbers anywhere.

288 is more than enough with a job offer for me and the secondary education verified though.

yeah lots of hoops to jump through. be worthwhile, just frustrating In the early stages.
kinda thought the ECA is mandatory. just looks not kinda clear when you read up on things.
cheers for that link and thanks for replying.

Perhaps it would be of use to have another read of the criteria
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ed-trades.html
Minimum requirements

To be eligible, you must
  • Plan to live outside the province of Quebec (Note: The province of Quebec selects its own skilled workers. If you plan on living in Quebec, see Quebec-selected skilled workers for more information)
  • Meet the required levels in English or French for each language ability (speaking, reading, writing and listening)
  • Have at least 2 years of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work experience)Footnote * in a skilled trade within the 5 years before you apply
  • Meet the job requirements for that skilled trade, as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) of your primary occupation, except for needing a certificate of qualification
  • Have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least 1 yearFootnote ** or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial, territorial or federal authority.Footnote ***

Education

There is no education requirement for the Federal Skilled Trades Program.

But, if you want to earn points for your education under Express Entry, you need either Note: The report must show your foreign education is equal to a completed Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree. You will only benefit from getting an ECA if your foreign education is equal to a completed Canadian high school diploma or greater
Skilled trades

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.