Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada to be self-employed?

Moving to Canada to be self-employed?

Old Nov 1st 2013, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

jcwacky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Canada to be self-employed?

I currently live in Edinburgh with my partner, who has been offered a job in Canada, and we are looking into what's involved in moving over there.

The complication that we have is that I am a self-employed web developer, and I'm struggling to find information on whether I'd still be allowed to continue my work for British clients from Canada, and also what would be involved in obtaining the correct documentation to be able to work for any potential new Canadian clients. Along with how easy either of these would be to do.

Some further info:
I've been self-employed full time for 3 years, but have 11 years experience in total.
I currently have a bachelor’s level university degree.
We are both 28 years old.

Any advice on where to start would be much appreciated. I've looked though the self employed information at cic.gc.ca but it only seems to mention cultural activities, farming & athletics. And I couldn't find any info about continuing to work for UK clients.

Many thanks!
James
Old Nov 1st 2013, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada to be self-employed?

I would apply for the 2014 IEC programme which allows you a 12 month open work permit.
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...nce/index.aspx

You can still work for UK clients without the need for a work permit but once you take on a Canadian client then that is where the work permit is required.
You could also apply to get a 2nd year IEC in 2015 if eligible re age factor.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 1:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

OP, what job will your partner be doing and how long have you lived together? If you can, a spousal open work permit would be much better and easier than an IEC. That would then give you a work permit for the same duration as your partners, and you can be self-employed in it.

Failing that, FL's suggestion of an IEC would be my Plan B.

HTH.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 9:18 am
Just Joined

jcwacky is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, that's very helpful. My partner's job will be in senior transport, and we've lived together for 6 years, so sounds like the spousal open work permit is the place to start!
Old Nov 7th 2013, 9:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jcwacky
Thanks, that's very helpful. My partner's job will be in senior transport, and we've lived together for 6 years, so sounds like the spousal open work permit is the place to start!
Not sure what 'senior transport' is, but if it's classed as a Skilled job on the NOC Matrix, then you could just get the Spousal Open Work Permit when you arrive at the airport when your partner gets his TWP, so that does sound the way to go if you can do it.

Best of luck.