Moving to Canada for over 50's

Old Nov 29th 2019, 9:35 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada for over 50's

PEI is beautiful, bleak in the winter, but so is everywhere. Cavendish Foods have their home there and employ many and it’s a huge endeavour, might be worth having a look for IT opportunities? Likewise McCain Foods are all over here, they have a few air routes and a big centre in Florenceville Bristol I believe and always seem to be looking for qualified people. Might be worth you looking at some of the larger employers here?
Old Nov 30th 2019, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying to get my head around the notion that someone who lives in Spain dreams of living in Burlington! Although I completely understand your desire to be near your daughter of course. I think it's hard to get jobs in your 50s even if you have the right to live and work in Canada never mind while also trying to emigrate there. As you have found out, your age really works against you in the points system. There will always be someone who said "I did it after 50" but that's anecdotal and probably not representative of reality for most people. Good luck.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 4:15 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
PEI is beautiful, bleak in the winter, but so is everywhere. Cavendish Foods have their home there and employ many and it’s a huge endeavour, might be worth having a look for IT opportunities? Likewise McCain Foods are all over here, they have a few air routes and a big centre in Florenceville Bristol I believe and always seem to be looking for qualified people. Might be worth you looking at some of the larger employers here?
If the OP hopes to immigrate under the Atlantic Provinces Pilot (PNP) then they will have to be offered a job by one of the designated employers so unless the ones you mention are on the lists (or are prepared to apply to become designated) they wouldn't count for that PR route. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ion-pilot.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 1st 2019 at 4:19 am.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 10:23 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
If the OP hopes to immigrate under the Atlantic Provinces Pilot (PNP) then they will have to be offered a job by one of the designated employers so unless the ones you mention are on the lists (or are prepared to apply to become designated) they wouldn't count for that PR route. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ion-pilot.html
Really interesting Siouxie, I went on the list of designated employers for PEI and there are lots - Cavendish is one of them - but there is a very diverse list of companies from a whole host of backgrounds, Aqua culture, farming, a whole range of sectors - really most interesting. I didn’t know much about these programs so it’s been good to find out more. I hope they do the job of getting more people to come and settle here.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone, I'n not going to reply to every point raised in recent posts as we've already been told to keep on topic :-)

The Atlantic Immigration programme does look like the best option and we're currently working our way through the list of companies while also checking out the cities in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. My husband does work in IT but in the Financial sector, mainly banking and Insurance. It's time consuming and tiring as my husband currently works in another country and not the one we live in although he flies home every weekend. We're also aware of Christmas coming up so the next couple of months will be very slow in terms of getting replies and moving forward with job applications.