Moving to Canada from Ireland

Old Jan 21st 2014, 2:52 am
Forum Regular

JohnDerry has a brilliant futureJohnDerry has a brilliant futureJohnDerry has a brilliant futureJohnDerry has a brilliant futureJohnDerry has a brilliant futureJohnDerry has a brilliant future
Default Re: Moving to Canada from Ireland

Originally Posted by orly
One of my passports says I am too. Were you born in the Republic?
Is it relevant?
Old Jan 21st 2014, 3:38 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnDerry
Is it relevant?
It's a question, one that wasn't directed at you. The other person replied that they weren't and I left it at that.

Last edited by orly; Jan 21st 2014 at 3:41 am.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

JohnDerry has a brilliant futureJohnDerry has a brilliant futureJohnDerry has a brilliant futureJohnDerry has a brilliant futureJohnDerry has a brilliant futureJohnDerry has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by orly
It's a question?
Its certainly a question, denoted primarily by a question mark at its conclusion.

I'm just wondering as to its relevance?
Old Jan 21st 2014, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

So I take it there was no real relevance to the question then.

Fair enough so.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 5:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Its certainly a question, denoted primarily by a question mark at its conclusion.

I'm just wondering as to its relevance?
As Orly's already said, the question wasn't directed at you, so please leave it.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
As Orly's already said, the question wasn't directed at you, so please leave it.
It wasn't but I was intrigued as to the relevance of the question seeing as I'm in the same situation as the OP.

There was a quip from orly directed at me sometime ago on the same theme and I just wondered if anything needed cleared up.

I assume it doesn't and am happy to leave it there.

Just checking, as a relative and appreciative newcomer, am I not entitled to ask or have I broken some rule?
Old Jan 21st 2014, 7:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just checking, as a relative and appreciative newcomer, am I not entitled to ask or have I broken some rule?
You're more than welcome to ask, but it's not fair on the OP to hijack their thread by asking the same question again, particularly when Orly had already replied to you.

HTH.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

JulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Dear .. is this my fault? sorry if I offended anyone by saying that Iam not British! ... thanks for the feedback everyone, it helps to get info from "real people" and not from static articles that could be years old!
Old Jan 21st 2014, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulieDoire
Oh Dear .. is this my fault? sorry if I offended anyone by saying that Iam not British! ... thanks for the feedback everyone, it helps to get info from "real people" and not from static articles that could be years old!
Definetly not... Some people on here just get a bit defensive at times, including myself... You are Irish and you feel Irish, that's that

I technically am Canadian as I have a Canadian passport and was born here but I do not feel so, I identify as Maltese... (Which I am by descent through Mum) You are technically British by nationality as you were born in NI and live there, but you don't feel so (as far as I can tell) , you feel Irish, so thats what you identify as... No reason others should be flaming you for that...
Old Jan 21st 2014, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

JulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
You are technically British by nationality as you were born in NI and live there, but you don't feel so (as far as I can tell) , you feel Irish, so thats what you identify as... No reason others should be flaming you for that...
Well thats getting into politics.. and if your ever in Ireland ..North or South of the border.. its gets a bit messy lol so we'll not go there. I consider myself Irish, as do a high precentage of the population. but sure..thanks for the input anyway lol
Old Jan 21st 2014, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

You've nothing to apologise for, that's for certain.

Don't be deterred, there are plenty of great people that post regularly here and are quite selfless with their time.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

You've nothing to apologise for, that's for certain.

Don't be deterred, there are plenty of great people that post regularly here and are quite selfless with their time.
Aye for defs, noticed how it doesnt take long for someone to get back to ye. All the info and advice is really helping us decide what to do with ourselves for the next 2yrs! Thanks everyone
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 1:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
I technically am Canadian as I have a Canadian passport and was born here but I do not feel so, I identify as Maltese... (Which I am by descent through Mum) You are technically British by nationality as you were born in NI and live there, but you don't feel so (as far as I can tell) , you feel Irish, so thats what you identify as... No reason others should be flaming you for that...

It's not "technically". The vast majority of people in Northern Ireland hold dual British and Irish citizenship, automatically. An individual may identify entirely with one citizenship, or the other, or with both. However, an exclusive identification with one citizenship does not cancel the other one, absent a formal act of renunciation.

The total number of British/Irish dual nationals is probably one of the highest of any dual nationality combination.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's not "technically". The vast majority of people in Northern Ireland hold dual British and Irish citizenship, automatically. An individual may identify entirely with one citizenship, or the other, or with both. However, an exclusive identification with one citizenship does not cancel the other one, absent a formal act of renunciation.

The total number of British/Irish dual nationals is probably one of the highest of any dual nationality combination.

This is veering way of my original question but I suppose I may as well chip in, seen that am Irish... Not sure how many people on here have ever been to "the north" as most people know it, but unfortunately nearly everything here comes down to politics and religion.. Even what kind of clothes you were at times! And this is a big topic of debate...everyday But id say most people (that I know anyway & and from my area) will only "identify" with one nationality. I don’t know of anyone that is Irish that will consider themselves British too and in some cases the opposite. So it’s not as black & white as that.

back to the point, thanks for the feedback everyone, Iv a tone more questions to torture you’s with shortly
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 1:55 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

This is veering way of my original question but I suppose I may as well chip in, seen that am Irish... Not sure how many people on here have ever been to "the north" as most people know it, but unfortunately nearly everything here comes down to politics and religion.. Even what kind of clothes you were at times! And this is a big topic of debate...everyday But id say most people (that I know anyway & and from my area) will only "identify" with one nationality. I don’t know of anyone that is Irish that will consider themselves British too and in some cases the opposite. So it’s not as black & white as that.

back to the point, thanks for the feedback everyone, Iv a tone more questions to torture you’s with shortly
I consider myself both. British by birth by virtue of being born in Northern Ireland. Irish by extension because the Irish government is happy to give me citizenship of the Republic despite being from a foreign country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.