Moving to Canada deadline

Old Sep 18th 2018, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

darkneal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Canada deadline

Hi there,
new member here who's about to be a PR card holder in Canada next year to start a new life on my own. I've just been invited to complete the final steps. I need help with this question from the much more wiser than me:

The CIC has told me I need to have moved to Canada a year from the date of my medical, which was last month. Trouble is, I had plans to make the permanent move in the spring of 2020 ideally. It says if I don't make the move within that year i'll lose the right to move there and have to apply again! There's all sorts of reasons which makes moving by next August far too soon, is there a simple way around this? I know its takes 2 months (appx) to get the PR card once you're in Canada, so then once I have that I could go back and forth within reason. Any help would be much appreciated!
Old Sep 18th 2018, 7:05 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada deadline

Originally Posted by darkneal
Hi there,
new member here who's about to be a PR card holder in Canada next year to start a new life on my own. I've just been invited to complete the final steps. I need help with this question from the much more wiser than me:

The CIC has told me I need to have moved to Canada a year from the date of my medical, which was last month. Trouble is, I had plans to make the permanent move in the spring of 2020 ideally. It says if I don't make the move within that year i'll lose the right to move there and have to apply again! There's all sorts of reasons which makes moving by next August far too soon, is there a simple way around this? I know its takes 2 months (appx) to get the PR card once you're in Canada, so then once I have that I could go back and forth within reason. Any help would be much appreciated!

Hello and welcome to BE - and congrats!

You have to 'land' in Canada to validate your COPR within 1 year of your medical - the date of expiry of the COPR is on it and it's a use it or lose it situation - but you don't have to move here then!

You can do a 'soft' landing - meaning coming over to validate your COPR and become a Permanent Resident and then fly out on the next flight if you wish to! The only thing you would need to do is a) If you don't have anyone who you trust to receive your PR card in Canada, you can apply for a PR Travel Document when you wanted to return to Canada (or fly into the US and cross the border by private vehicle and b) apply for the issuance of your PR card, once you move to Canada and are ready to stay.

You must be in Canada for 2 years out of the 5 following the date you 'land' and validate your COPR and become a PR.. (and ongoing on a rolling basis) other than that, you are free to come and go at will. Whatever you do, don't leave it til the last minute - flights can get cancelled or delayed, bad weather can set in, people can become ill, transport delays mean missing flights.. all these and more have happened to members - and if it's the last day to validate your COPR - there goes your PR!

You can read more here: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Landing_as_PR-Canada

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 18th 2018 at 7:17 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2018, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

darkneal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Canada deadline

Ah thank you so much Siouxie, that link explains everything

Last edited by darkneal; Sep 18th 2018 at 9:06 pm.