Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Moving to british columbia need advice

Wikiposts

Moving to british columbia need advice

Old May 31st 2008, 10:48 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to british columbia need advice

Originally Posted by jazzyjeff7
it seems that the where ever the applications are handled (posts) each location has different time delays on processing, now after searching on the cic uk site I have come across that for the london based application it can take 48 months for the processing, maybe this website has not been updated ...
When you say, "maybe this website has not been updated," I don't know to which website you're referring.

If you're referring to the British Expats Wiki article that christmasoompa quoted, it states:
During 2006 and 2007, the waiting times for skilled worker visas without pre-arranged employment had grown to 5 - 8 years (depending on the visa posts to which applications had been submitted).
Please note the qualification that the timeframe under discussion is 2006 and 2007.

In addition to that, the "waiting times" to which the Wiki article referred were the practical, real waiting times, measured from the times that applicants submitted their applications till they settled in Canada. Once people were free to move to Canada, from an immigration standpoint, they still had to sell their houses, arrange for removalists to pack and ship their household goods, and actually fly to Canada. Typically this adds several months, even a year, to the process.

London's 4-year processing time can convert, in practical terms, into something closer to a 5-year wait.

There are other visa offices where the waiting times are much longer. It is said that, in the case of some applicants and some visa offices, the actual, practical waiting times are closer to 10 years.

Keep in mind that the Wiki articles that contain those warnings are introductory articles that provide broad brushstroke type explanations to people who don't have the foggiest idea how Canadian immigration works. Some people arrive on this website thinking that it's just a hop, skip and jump. The Wiki articles help to get them up to speed with reality.

The Wiki articles don't pretend to provide definitive information. If you want that, read the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA). It is the definitive source. Not even Citizenship and Immigration Canada's website is the final source of information. When there is any doubt about interpretation, you have to go back to the IRPA.

Anyone can edit a Wiki article. If you think the Wiki articles would benefit from greater clarity, you're welcome to go in and edit them.
x
Old May 31st 2008, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

jazzyjeff7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
When you say, "maybe this website has not been updated," I don't know to which website you're referring.

If you're referring to the British Expats Wiki article that christmasoompa quoted, it states:
During 2006 and 2007, the waiting times for skilled worker visas without pre-arranged employment had grown to 5 - 8 years (depending on the visa posts to which applications had been submitted).
Please note the qualification that the timeframe under discussion is 2006 and 2007.

In addition to that, the "waiting times" to which the Wiki article referred were the practical, real waiting times, measured from the times that applicants submitted their applications till they settled in Canada. Once people were free to move to Canada, from an immigration standpoint, they still had to sell their houses, arrange for removalists to pack and ship their household goods, and actually fly to Canada. Typically this adds several months, even a year, to the process.

London's 4-year processing time can convert, in practical terms, into something closer to a 5-year wait.

There are other visa offices where the waiting times are much longer. It is said that, in the case of some applicants and some visa offices, the actual, practical waiting times are closer to 10 years.

Keep in mind that the Wiki articles that contain those warnings are introductory articles that provide broad brushstroke type explanations to people who don't have the foggiest idea how Canadian immigration works. Some people arrive on this website thinking that it's just a hop, skip and jump. The Wiki articles help to get them up to speed with reality.

The Wiki articles don't pretend to provide definitive information. If you want that, read the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA). It is the definitive source. Not even Citizenship and Immigration Canada's website is the final source of information. When there is any doubt about interpretation, you have to go back to the IRPA.

Anyone can edit a Wiki article. If you think the Wiki articles would benefit from greater clarity, you're welcome to go in and edit them.
x
hiya here was the website that I was talking
about...

http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/processing_times.htm

god bless you all gudnite
Old May 31st 2008, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

hiya here was the website that I was talking
about...

http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/processing_times.htm

god bless you all gudnite
This is retrospective - it records past applications that have been decided, not current and future ones.
Old May 31st 2008, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

simeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant futuresimeongb has a brilliant future

HIya Everyone Newbie here.

Hiya So this is my first help post and I would be very grateful if anyone here can give me a few tips.

Ok so here is the situation me and my wife are both educated to degree level and both have 3 years plus working experience. I have completed the free skilled workers test online at cic and we got 73 points which is a pass.

But i still have a few questions, Can I and my wife move to Canada in any other way than this, since I have heard there is a big waiting list?

I have family there in BC and it’s my grans daughter who is my aunt who lives there and is a permanent resident.

How long does the skilled application take? Me and my wife want to be in Canada for 2012, would it be possible to get there for that time? Or is it highly unlikely?

It would be really good for us to move to BC we have already been advised by my family that they have a house ready for us to move into and get settled etc.

I have been to BC nearly every year apart from the university years 2002 to 2006 and I love it , its like home to me since I only have my grandmother who is my only family here.

Well I have to get to work now, so I will look forward to the replies and I will look forward to ask a few more questions.

If you need to ask me anything me feel free to do so.
hello, and welcome
what work do you do
Old Jun 1st 2008, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simeongb
hello, and welcome
what work do you do
Hiya thanks for the welcome.

I am working for siemens as a IT consultant for future solutions for the next line up of information systems.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Hiya thanks for the welcome.

I am working for siemens as a IT consultant for future solutions for the next line up of information systems.
Hey everyone how are you all doing.

So after a few days of ongoing discussions with my wife about our move to Canada we are clear on a few things now, this is to the great advice provided by you guys heat BE.

So we are planning on moving to BC for 2013 this is due that my wife is registered for a new course which for her is very important for her to become a complete biologist technologist which also is a under pressure job in BC after looking at wiki article, so my wife will the primary applicant for the SW, its seems this is the best option for us since we are planning on going for 2013 and the waiting queue is long.
We still are confused about one small thing.

Could we if our application for SW is not going so well by 2012 apply for work? And get out application fast tracked, or is that another whole process?
I know we both can go on study visas to do masters we could live with our family and also apply for the PR status if I am correct,
I think I Just need a little for advice and what’s the best route, no doubt about it we will apply for the SW program but if we decided to go quicker say for instance early 2012 what routes will be open to us?

Thanks guys for your support
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G586
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Working_Holiday_Visas

Several regular posters have applied for PR whilst on a BUNAC working visit.
Mr L2S and I came over on BUNAC and then applied for BC PNP with the support of our employers who we were working for on our BUANC WPs. I think it would have been hard for us to get jobs here otherwise considering how young and inexperienced we were (3 years work experience and MSc).

But....I think the rules have now changed on BUNAC and you can't take part if you are married...but check this.

Also have a look at BC PNP. If you do all your homework and get all your fact rights, and then approach employers saying that you'd be able to get WPs in XX weeks if they sponsor you, they might be willing. Long shot but might be worth a try.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by live to ski
Mr L2S and I came over on BUNAC and then applied for BC PNP with the support of our employers who we were working for on our BUANC WPs. I think it would have been hard for us to get jobs here otherwise considering how young and inexperienced we were (3 years work experience and MSc).

But....I think the rules have now changed on BUNAC and you can't take part if you are married...but check this.

Also have a look at BC PNP. If you do all your homework and get all your fact rights, and then approach employers saying that you'd be able to get WPs in XX weeks if they sponsor you, they might be willing. Long shot but might be worth a try.

Hey SKI I don’t think we will be going with the BUNAC since there are a few restrictions marriage age etc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so I have a new question so my grandmother who is my guardian here in the uk officially adopted me when I was 9 years old, so basically she is my parent.

Now me and my partner are stuck to whether we add her to our application for SWP , or let my aunt sponsor my gran because that’s my grans daughter in Canada.

So basically would it be ideal just to add my gran to our application or would it be easier for her daughter to sponsor her who is very willing too.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 5:27 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hey SKI I don’t think we will be going with the BUNAC since there are a few restrictions marriage age etc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so I have a new question so my grandmother who is my guardian here in the uk officially adopted me when I was 9 years old, so basically she is my parent.

Now me and my partner are stuck to whether we add her to our application for SWP , or let my aunt sponsor my gran because that’s my grans daughter in Canada.

So basically would it be ideal just to add my gran to our application or would it be easier for her daughter to sponsor her who is very willing too.
You can't add your Aunt (adoptive mother) to your application for a skilled worker visa. She would have to be sponsored by her daughter.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

You can't add your Aunt (adoptive mother) to your application for a skilled worker visa. She would have to be sponsored by her daughter.
Wow thanks for that clear now on that bit. So any ideas on how long the sponsor application would take for my gran (adoptive mother) ? I can't find any process times for it on the cic website and also another quick question could my mother sponsor me once she becomes a PR, this could be a solution to my thinking but I could be wrong.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 9:51 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Wow thanks for that clear now on that bit. So any ideas on how long the sponsor application would take for my gran (adoptive mother) ? I can't find any process times for it on the cic website and also another quick question could my mother sponsor me once she becomes a PR, this could be a solution to my thinking but I could be wrong.
1. If your adoptive mother was sponsored by her daughter, tomorrow, you would be looking at least 23 months at Mississauga and 5-12 months on average at London.
2. No, she can't sponsor you.
Old Jun 6th 2008, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. If your adoptive mother was sponsored by her daughter, tomorrow, you would be looking at least 23 months at Mississauga and 5-12 months on average at London.
2. No, she can't sponsor you.
Thank you PMM for all your help your great.

So it seems my gran will getting in to canada first
good things come to the old and wise.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

Thank you PMM for all your help your great.

So it seems my gran will getting in to canada first
good things come to the old and wise.
Hiya everyone how you all doing?
Well so it seems that applying for the SW application is not worth it anymore since it’s hardly unlikely that the application will be processed.

It seems gaining a TWP would be the best bet rather than wasting time on the SW according to my wife. I still feel that it’s worth a go but only if they recognise that we are needed for work skills education etc but that don't seem likely.

Man its not looking good anymore.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

Hiya everyone how you all doing?
Well so it seems that applying for the SW application is not worth it anymore since it’s hardly unlikely that the application will be processed.

It seems gaining a TWP would be the best bet rather than wasting time on the SW according to my wife. I still feel that it’s worth a go but only if they recognise that we are needed for work skills education etc but that don't seem likely.

Man its not looking good anymore.
Wow there might be some hope for our new application after reading through the policy and regulations questions and answers doc from cic website

"The new rules will allow us to focus on getting the people we need.
Anyone will still be able to apply, but CIC will no longer be required to process all new applications. The new provisions will allow the Department to choose, from the new applications, those that best meet Canada’s labour market needs"

So we really aint got nothing to lose and should get our application posted and wait and see what happens. But again I am sure that I read somewhere on this forum that application were not bein processed for SW at this time is this true ?

oh and here is the link for thoses who want to read the doc.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...-questions.asp

and duncan (dss123) I aint heard from you whats going on with your application?

Last edited by jazzyjeff7; Jun 19th 2008 at 1:49 am. Reason: added cic link
Old Jun 19th 2008, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Wow there might be some hope for our new application after reading through the policy and regulations questions and answers doc from cic website

"The new rules will allow us to focus on getting the people we need.
Anyone will still be able to apply, but CIC will no longer be required to process all new applications. The new provisions will allow the Department to choose, from the new applications, those that best meet Canada’s labour market needs"

So we really aint got nothing to lose and should get our application posted and wait and see what happens. But again I am sure that I read somewhere on this forum that application were not bein processed for SW at this time is this true ?

oh and here is the link for thoses who want to read the doc.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...-questions.asp

and duncan (dss123) I aint heard from you whats going on with your application?
So after some more reading now I am stuck to wheather we should apply until the new annual report is tabled in Parliament by November 1 for the new public instructions form the mnister on how the new application should be processed.

Are the new rules already in effect ? or do we just wait for them to be dished out on the cic website.

anyone else thinking of applying now or just did ? what are your views on the new admendments coming into action how do you feel about it and how will it effect you.

After reading the new laws etc I feel more positive but now I am just stuck to wheather we should apply now or in november. confused after reading to much i guess lol.