Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Moving back to London from Canada (as a Canadian PR)

Moving back to London from Canada (as a Canadian PR)

Old Dec 31st 2018, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Paz7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to London from Canada (as a Canadian PR)

~25months in as a Canadian PR (~17months since we actually physically moved) and mulling a move back to the UK to take up an incredible career opportunity back home.
I am a Canadian PR, how does that work, am I a Canadian PR for life and can move back to Canada again later in life if I need to?
I am guessing renewing the Canadian PR is a fairly straightforward process from the UK (if it came to it)?

Last edited by Paz7; Dec 31st 2018 at 2:34 pm.
Old Dec 31st 2018, 3:24 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to London from Canada (as a Canadian PR)

Originally Posted by Paz7
~25months in as a Canadian PR (~17months since we actually physically moved) and mulling a move back to the UK to take up an incredible career opportunity back home.
I am a Canadian PR, how does that work, am I a Canadian PR for life and can move back to Canada again later in life if I need to?
I am guessing renewing the Canadian PR is a fairly straightforward process from the UK (if it came to it)?
Only if you meet the residency requirement which is 730 days in any 5 year rolling period. This means that once you've got 24 months of residency under your belt you could live in the UK for up to 3 years and then return to Canada with PR still it tact. Any longer away and you have to start a new PR application from scratch.

However if you're married to a Canadian who would be living with you in the UK, you would not be giving up residence for purposes of immigration.
Old Dec 31st 2018, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Paz7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Only if you meet the residency requirement which is 730 days in any 5 year rolling period. This means that once you've got 24 months of residency under your belt you could live in the UK for up to 3 years and then return to Canada with PR still it tact. Any longer away and you have to start a new PR application from scratch.

However if you're married to a Canadian who would be living with you in the UK, you would not be giving up residence for purposes of immigration.
Ah! My wife is Canadian (born and citizen), so our time together (whether in Canada or the UK) counts towards my Canadian residence time? i.e. perhaps I can even apply for a Canadian passport once I meet the 730days in 5 years requirement)?
Old Dec 31st 2018, 4:26 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paz7
Ah! My wife is Canadian (born and citizen), so our time together (whether in Canada or the UK) counts towards my Canadian residence time? i.e. perhaps I can even apply for a Canadian passport once I meet the 730days in 5 years requirement)?
The citizenship requirement is different from maintenance of PR status. It's changed recently (and I no longer live in Canada) but I believe it's 3 years out of the last four? But again, if you're living abroad with a Canadian spouse, the time abroad can be used to qualify*.

* I think.
Old Dec 31st 2018, 9:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The citizenship requirement is different from maintenance of PR status. It's changed recently (and I no longer live in Canada) but I believe it's 3 years out of the last four? But again, if you're living abroad with a Canadian spouse, the time abroad can be used to qualify*.

* I think.
For citizenship, it’s physical time in Canada required - time with a Canadian spouse abroad only counts for the PR residency obligation.

OP, I’ve moved your thread to the correct forum for you.

Old Jan 1st 2019, 10:26 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

For citizenship, it’s physical time in Canada required - time with a Canadian spouse abroad only counts for the PR residency obligation.

OP, I’ve moved your thread to the correct forum for you.

*that's why we need experts.