Moving back to Canada

Old Oct 4th 2006, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Tom_S is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to Canada

All,

I am a Canadian-born citizen and I know that I can sponsor my American wife for citizenship. My question is whether or not I can sponsor my American sister-in-law and her American husband. Does my wife have to do that after she becomes a Citizen? Or, is it not possible at all? Thank you in advance for your insight.

- Tom
Old Oct 4th 2006, 2:05 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back to Canada

Not possible. They will have to apply on their own, providing that they qualify in one of economic classes. They will get extra 5 points for having sister in Canada though.

BTW - you cannot sponsor anyone for Canadian citizenship, you can only sponsor your wife to become a Canadian permanent resident. Then, after meeting residency requirements (1,095 days within 4 years in Canada) she will have to apply for citizenship on her own.

Originally Posted by Tom_S
All,

I am a Canadian-born citizen and I know that I can sponsor my American wife for citizenship. My question is whether or not I can sponsor my American sister-in-law and her American husband. Does my wife have to do that after she becomes a Citizen? Or, is it not possible at all? Thank you in advance for your insight.

- Tom
Old Oct 5th 2006, 2:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

All,

I am a Canadian-born citizen and I know that I can sponsor my American wife for citizenship.
As Andrew says, you sponsor her for permanent residence, not citizenship. She can get citizenship later if she likes.

Have you thought about the pros and cons of becoming a U.S. citizen before you leave, if you've not done so already?
Old Oct 5th 2006, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Tom_S is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
As Andrew says, you sponsor her for permanent residence, not citizenship. She can get citizenship later if she likes.

Have you thought about the pros and cons of becoming a U.S. citizen before you leave, if you've not done so already?
Thank you both for your prompt response.

I am a permanent resident of the U.S. right now and am probably going to apply for U.S. Citizenship within the next 2 years. That way I will be able to live and work permanently on both sides of the border. The only down side to this is paying U.S. Income Tax and the risk of being drafted in the event of a major crisis.

I apologize for not being more clear with my comment about sponsoring my wife. I realize that I can only sponsor her for permanent residence not citizenship.

As far as my sister-in-law is concerned, there used to be some sort of "calculator" on the CIC site that would tell you if you are elligable to apply for permanent residence or not (based on family or employment). Is that still available?
Old Oct 5th 2006, 5:44 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thank you both for your prompt response.

I am a permanent resident of the U.S. right now and am probably going to apply for U.S. Citizenship within the next 2 years. That way I will be able to live and work permanently on both sides of the border. The only down side to this is paying U.S. Income Tax and the risk of being drafted in the event of a major crisis.

I apologize for not being more clear with my comment about sponsoring my wife. I realize that I can only sponsor her for permanent residence not citizenship.

As far as my sister-in-law is concerned, there used to be some sort of "calculator" on the CIC site that would tell you if you are elligable to apply for permanent residence or not (based on family or employment). Is that still available?
The calculator is here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/assess/index.html