Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Moved: sponsorship from within Canada

Wikiposts

Moved: sponsorship from within Canada

Old Sep 11th 2007, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moved: sponsorship from within Canada

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Seconded
hi *Biiink*..hope you have a lovely day!!!
Old Sep 11th 2007, 6:06 am
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sponsorship from within Canada

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Been here on a work permit on and off for the last 7 years
Finally got of my arse because CIC refused to issue me anymore work permits and insisted that I apply for PR or bugger off………
I've got a rather nice job so decided it might be worth staying and work was paying anyway
Nice timeline- that's made me feel pretty chipper about my chances of getting PR relatively quickly. I'm in a similar position, albeit far earlier in the process.

What do you do?
Old Sep 11th 2007, 6:40 am
Account Closed

annabella is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
Hi Annabelle~

i am a spouse ....of a canadian...and have been through the inland application route. I landed last january..

there isnt' realy much difference between married and common law....except for they may or may not want more evidence of the relationship.

It is usualy on average...8-9 months and you receive Approval in Principle..which then gives you the rights to apply for a work permit, if you so wish. then about another 9 mths or so ..your application should be complete...however...those timelines can vary on....a variety of reasons..one for example can be a request for more info...or if the application hasn't been filled out correctly etc......

my own application was pretty standard and we had no hickups with it. I frontloaded everything ..police clearances ..medicals etc....

please PM me anytime.if you want..
Thanks Maple Leaf. Appreciate your writing. Used to live in Tasmania in the 60s. You are on Vancouver Island lucky person. I hear it is beautiful. May be writing to you to ask your advice on settling there.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 6:43 am
Account Closed

Is there any reason you're not applying via London or Paris? Just curious
Rather than wait on in France thought it more agreeable to wait on in GTA. I enjoy the company of Canadians.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 6:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Annabella, please see PMM's response re typical timelines in this thread.

In that thread PMM said that it took 8 - 9 months for the spouse who was being sponsored to get "approval in principle" in the case of an in-country application.

Since you are 69, I don't know if you are interested in working in Canada. But, just FYI, once a sponsored spouse receives "aprproval in principle," they get an open work permit that allows them to do any kind of work, anywhere in Canada.

PMM went on to say that it would take a minimum of 3 - 4 additional months for the sponsored spouse to actually receive their permanent residence visa.

I guess I have only noticed the time it takes for the sponsored spouse or common-law partner to receive "approval in principle." I have assumed that, at that point, their worries are mostly over. Once they receive AIP, they can work in Canada (which is the concern for most people on this forum). I have assumed (rightly or wrongly) that, after AIP, the rest of the process is mostly a formality.
Thanks Judy for all the information. Work? What's that? Seriously though wouldn't mind a little job at some point either paid or unpaid. Best wishes.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:22 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geo4
Nice timeline- that's made me feel pretty chipper about my chances of getting PR relatively quickly. I'm in a similar position, albeit far earlier in the process.

What do you do?
I'm a senior scientist in a brewery

not a job you quit on without a dam good reason
Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Giggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant future

Hi, annabella!

Do you know that you don't have to do an in-land application? I was under the impression that that is what my boyfriend and I had to do. I'm a brit and he is Canadian. Apparently, if you do an out-land application which is what we are doing, it takes much less time. To process via London seems to be one of the quickest times for spousal applicants!! It seems that a lot of people are getting approved in about 3 months. I have heard some horror stories of the waiting times for in-land apps...I'm so glad we were told to do it out-land.

Why put yourself through the stress of waiting a year or more when you can quite possibly have PR in less than 6 months!

I hope this helps!

Kate
Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:35 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Giggles2080
Hi, annabella!

Do you know that you don't have to do an in-land application? I was under the impression that that is what my boyfriend and I had to do. I'm a brit and he is Canadian. Apparently, if you do an out-land application which is what we are doing, it takes much less time. To process via London seems to be one of the quickest times for spousal applicants!! It seems that a lot of people are getting approved in about 3 months. I have heard some horror stories of the waiting times for in-land apps...I'm so glad we were told to do it out-land.

Why put yourself through the stress of waiting a year or more when you can quite possibly have PR in less than 6 months!

I hope this helps!

Kate
Thanks Kate. Good of you to take time to write. It is only since reading the forum postings that I understand that an application can be made out of Canada while I remain here. I would have to do it from Paris, France, I believe. Been living there since '71 but spending masses of time here in Canada for the last 5 and a half years. If I was looking to go to Quebec I know it is very fast indeed as they encourage French speakers it seems whether they are francophone or not. My partner is is Ontario though. I am going to look into this. I had noticed that the waits for approval are far shorter outside of Canada than inside when consulting the CIC site.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Giggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant futureGiggles2080 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by annabella
Thanks Kate. Good of you to take time to write. It is only since reading the forum postings that I understand that an application can be made out of Canada while I remain here. I would have to do it from Paris, France, I believe. Been living there since '71 but spending masses of time here in Canada for the last 5 and a half years. If I was looking to go to Quebec I know it is very fast indeed as they encourage French speakers it seems whether they are francophone or not. My partner is is Ontario though. I am going to look into this. I had noticed that the waits for approval are far shorter outside of Canada than inside when consulting the CIC site.
No problem, annabella! I wanted to tell you because it would save you so much time! I'm just so glad we were told too! I'm actually in Quebec! I'm just hoping that our application is processed as fast as everyone elses seems to be! Fingers crossed! Any way you put it, out-land is the way to go, whether through Paris or London, you're going to get your PR much faster than in-land!

Good luck! Keep us updated!
Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

yes you are absolutely correct...applying from out of Canada is faster at the moment...apparently some time ago it used to be the other way around.

it is great to have options....as each way suits people for different reasons.
good luck to all of you........one thing i can say..it may seem cliche'd but time does go fast no matter which way you do it....even tho there are moments it seems like an eternity!

if i had my way over again i would have done outside application..but at that particular time..an inland suited us best......
Old Sep 11th 2007, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annabella
Rather than wait on in France thought it more agreeable to wait on in GTA. I enjoy the company of Canadians.
You can still wait in Canada with a Paris application, although if you needed an interview that would be in Paris.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

You can still wait in Canada with a Paris application, although if you needed an interview that would be in Paris.
Yup, it's true! I'm in Canada while applying via London! Oh! We got our letter approving my boyfriend as a sponsor! HOORAY! 1st hurdle over with...at least it's on it's way to good old England now! YAY!!

Kate
Old Sep 12th 2007, 4:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Giggles2080
Yup, it's true! I'm in Canada while applying via London! Oh! We got our letter approving my boyfriend as a sponsor! HOORAY! 1st hurdle over with...at least it's on it's way to good old England now! YAY!!

Kate
Congrats!
Old Sep 12th 2007, 9:35 am
whm
Forum Regular

whm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant futurewhm has a brilliant future

I'm a bit late jumping into this topic, but so nice to hear all of your stories about how this is going for you.

And I'm wondering, "What's wrong with us??!?" Now granted, unlike Maple Leaf, that smart cookie, we actually omitted a wee bit of inform. from our application - I CANNOT imagine how that happened as I went over it at least 1,000 times before we sent it in. In any event, here is where we are at (oh - sorry - this is Inland also, and my husband, now living here, is the Brit, and he's passed his "Best Before" date too (ha ha))

Application to Vegreville Aug. 1 2006
Rec'd letter sent Apr. 17 2007 - AIP
sent for work permit approximately May 1? 2007
Sent for Police clearance May 15, 2007 (requested by CIC at this point)
May 28, rec'd notice from GMP that they have started processing the police check.
From Vegreville on e-Cas: We received the requested information on June 14, 2007. (That's the stuff we left out)
June 18, rec'd work permit.
July 4 - called CIC and was told that R. could apply for OHIP - they are sending a letter showing his medical results
July 12 - rec'd letter from CIC with medical results (see call, July 4)
From CIC on Aug. 9:
We received the requested information on August 8, 2007. (Police Check)

And that's the last we've heard. I've seen that the wait times are shorter, and all that, but for us, it's been over a year since the application went in. As others have said, it isn't a big deal once you get the AIP because you can work if you want/have to, but my particular partner gets freaked out about them throwing him out, even though I keep assuring him that that won't happen. *sigh*

Whatever you decide to do, good luck to you. And nice hearing from you, Maple Leaf!

Cheers,

whm
Old Sep 12th 2007, 1:09 pm
Pog
Just Joined

Pog is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Moved: sponsorship from within Canada

Hi all, beginner here and totally lost as to how, where when etc..Short story is I'm N Irish with UK passport, he's Canadian, we met online 2 years ago, I came for a visit in June 06 and now want to move here permanently (I'm in Canada at the moment).
He's free, no attachments, I'm at decree nisi stage though been separated for over 2 years.

Do we apply for PR as family class, conjugal partners, common law or what..I got completely confused on the CIC website and don't know if we should apply now while I'm in Canada or if I should go back to UK and apply there..hope someone can point me in the right direction!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.