Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Moved: Is this offer too good to be true?

Moved: Is this offer too good to be true?

Old Jan 17th 2008, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

rooney2603 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moved: Is this offer too good to be true?

Saw an ad in The Sun newspaper 'Canada, Vancouver, skilled Tradesmen needed urgently'. I sent my hubbys CV off to the email address and two days later he got a job offer from a company called Pomeroy Restoration & Construction Ltd (my hubby is 1st/2nd fix Carpenter).

The job offer is full time employment temp. for 2 years, hourly pay $22.50 and is not a contract. We have the option for fast-track emigration as the employer is willing to sponsor us for permanent residency.

There is a seminar to attend and the fee for the 2 year work permit is £325 ($650). It states for very little cost and chance to move more or less immediately, we're offering you (& your family) the opportunity to make a fresh start in the best City in the World.

My husband is interested but we are not sure if the offer is genuine. It is from a recruitment and placement agency to the Vancouver Construction Industry called ************************.

Apparently we don't need a medical they just want to know if we have a criminal record. We thought it may have something to do with the Winter Olympics but it mentions something about leaky condos.

Do you think this is a genuine offer?
Would you take up the offer and take your family?
We can move as quickly as March it says and the offer is valid until October.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:23 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved: Is this offer too good to be true?

Hi

Originally Posted by rooney2603
Saw an ad in The Sun newspaper 'Canada, Vancouver, skilled Tradesmen needed urgently'. I sent my hubbys CV off to the email address and two days later he got a job offer from a company called Pomeroy Restoration & Construction Ltd (my hubby is 1st/2nd fix Carpenter).

The job offer is full time employment temp. for 2 years, hourly pay $22.50 and is not a contract. We have the option for fast-track emigration as the employer is willing to sponsor us for permanent residency.

There is a seminar to attend and the fee for the 2 year work permit is £325 ($650). It states for very little cost and chance to move more or less immediately, we're offering you (& your family) the opportunity to make a fresh start in the best City in the World.

My husband is interested but we are not sure if the offer is genuine. It is from a recruitment and placement agency to the Vancouver Construction Industry called ************************.

Apparently we don't need a medical they just want to know if we have a criminal record. We thought it may have something to do with the Winter Olympics but it mentions something about leaky condos.

Do you think this is a genuine offer?
Would you take up the offer and take your family?
We can move as quickly as March it says and the offer is valid until October.
1. The wage is about $3-5/hr below the fair wage for provincial jobs and journeyman rates. http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/en/lp/lo/lswe...uver_swr.shtml
2. The Government fee for a work permit is $150
3. Check out Pomeroy on Google, they are a restoration contractor and appear to be a legit company with about 36 employers.
4. As Carpenter is a "red seal" job, he may have to challenge the exam. http://www.cicic.ca/en/professions.a...9.21&prof=7271
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light

hi iam also a carpenter going to calgary alberta pm me and i will give you the name and website you need to email ,all its cost me is $300cdn for the work permits and £20 for 2 police checks and my pay is around $7-8 an hour more
Old Jan 17th 2008, 10:00 pm
Moose Jaw's Ambassador

roanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant future

There seems to be nothing wrong with this ad. I am a little concerned that they are asking you to pay a fee though. I am a Brit ex-pat running a small roofing and reno's company on the Canadian prairies, and have recently started the process of bringing in a skilled worker from Venezuela. Desperate times here for the construction industry in finding good workers. The problem is that the big growth areas are the major cities, and us smaller centres are losing all of our trades people to these so-called "big paying" jobs. I am currently offering to match the big city wages, and trust me, it is far, far cheaper to live in my neck of the woods, than the big cities. As an example, a 3 bedroom house here will cost between $60,000 and $200,000, a similar property in the big city will sell for $350,000 and $500,000! Do the math. Any tradesman from Britain worth his salt, can currently pick his location here, and the provincial governments all have "fast track" immigration programes in place to facilitate the growth. I would be happy to assist anyone seeking further info on this subject. Hint to the wise......keep an eye on the sub-prime mortgage crisis currently happening in the US. Whatever happens there, usually finds it's way into Canada.
Terry.B
Old Jan 17th 2008, 10:04 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

That looks like this .....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...61#post5750361

Old Jan 19th 2008, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

bpickering is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
you will see other postings on this very subject dated 15th Jan under the initials NBJW. My husband was offered exactly the same job winter Olympics etc. We are thinking of going to the 'emigrate 2' exhibition at Esher to get as much info as possible. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by roanin
There seems to be nothing wrong with this ad. I am a little concerned that they are asking you to pay a fee though. I am a Brit ex-pat running a small roofing and reno's company on the Canadian prairies, and have recently started the process of bringing in a skilled worker from Venezuela. Desperate times here for the construction industry in finding good workers. The problem is that the big growth areas are the major cities, and us smaller centres are losing all of our trades people to these so-called "big paying" jobs. I am currently offering to match the big city wages, and trust me, it is far, far cheaper to live in my neck of the woods, than the big cities. As an example, a 3 bedroom house here will cost between $60,000 and $200,000, a similar property in the big city will sell for $350,000 and $500,000! Do the math. Any tradesman from Britain worth his salt, can currently pick his location here, and the provincial governments all have "fast track" immigration programes in place to facilitate the growth. I would be happy to assist anyone seeking further info on this subject. Hint to the wise......keep an eye on the sub-prime mortgage crisis currently happening in the US. Whatever happens there, usually finds it's way into Canada.
Terry.B
My husband is a 1st & 2nd fix Carpenter, he can also cut roofs by hand. He has City and Guilds. We would prefer to go somewhere where houses are cheaper and Carpenters are wanted, and hopefully have good schools for the children ages 12 and 9. If you can help us ( roanin or anyone else) please give us some info. I will pm redarmy990 when this site lets me apparently I need to send more then 3 posts, I think.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by redarmy990
hi iam also a carpenter going to calgary alberta pm me and i will give you the name and website you need to email ,all its cost me is $300cdn for the work permits and £20 for 2 police checks and my pay is around $7-8 an hour more
Thanks for your post. Thant sounds like a better offer then the Vancouver one. We would rather not go to a big city. I did try and pm you but the administrator wouldn't let me, something about having to do 3 posts. I would like the website.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 8:14 pm
Moose Jaw's Ambassador

roanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant futureroanin has a brilliant future

Please check out the Province of Saskatchewan website regarding the immigrant worker program. Also, you can google search the following regional companies: "Dominion construction" - "C & S Builders Ltd" - "Craigen Construction" - "H.D.Drake Construction" - "Cardinal Construction" - "Dome Construction".
Local (southern Saskatchewan) cities are: Regina, Saskatoon, Moose Jaw. If you can get a good response from a Moose Jaw company, follow that one through, as this is a fabulous city of 33,000 that is seeing some good growth, and a few major projects on the way. Local newspapers: "Saskatoon Star Pheonix" - "Regina Leader Post" - Moose Jaw Times Herald", all have good websites. You could also access the government of Saskatchewan or Manitoba websites, under "Canada Employment Centres". Check out local realtors for a guide on housing prices and availability, such as: "Remax" - 'GMAC" - "Century 21" etc.
For those who want a quieter life to raise children, lower crime etc, try to live in towns with populations around 10-40,000. Bear in mind that main road traffic here is not congested the way it is in the UK. One can live in Moose Jaw, and commute to Regina in 30 minutes, and not the hour and a half you would normally take to do a similar journey over there. So living in one place and working somewhere else is very do-able!
Would be very happy to answer or get info for anyone looking at my local area. Just fire away
Terry B.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 8:46 pm
Moose Jaw's Ambassador

Originally Posted by rooney2603
My husband is a 1st & 2nd fix Carpenter, he can also cut roofs by hand. He has City and Guilds. We would prefer to go somewhere where houses are cheaper and Carpenters are wanted, and hopefully have good schools for the children ages 12 and 9. If you can help us ( roanin or anyone else) please give us some info. I will pm redarmy990 when this site lets me apparently I need to send more then 3 posts, I think.
Rooney2603
Lisa, pm me with a private e-mail address. I have just spent 30 minutes typing a reply to your pm and it went into cyberspace!!!Grrrrr

Terry
Old Jan 20th 2008, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

laydee76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

My husband also responded to that ad or one very similar (well via me anyway! lol) and has also been offered a job but from a different company. We are going to the seminar on 16th Feb in Enfield

Like you I am a bit concerned as to whether it is valid.

When is your seminar and what agency did you contact (the fee we are being asked to pay is the same)

Thanks
Old Jan 20th 2008, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

laydee76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by roanin
Rooney2603
Lisa, pm me with a private e-mail address. I have just spent 30 minutes typing a reply to your pm and it went into cyberspace!!!Grrrrr

Terry
Hi Terry - I am also in the same position (see note below) can you PM me so I can chat to you on your thoughts?

Thanks
Old Jan 20th 2008, 10:18 pm
Moose Jaw's Ambassador

Hello folks, looks like I have gotten myself into a bit of a bind here. Seems that I am getting a lot of enquiries for help etc via PMs etc. I want to help you all, but this is a lot of time and typing. Soooooooohere's what I am offering to do: If you e-mail me at: [email protected] I will engage in a Q&A session with you, OR I will give you a telephone number you can call, and I will answer your questions directly.

As a generalization though.........There is no real reason that any of you should go through any agency. They have set up shop to take advantage of the recruitment situation here, and this is why they are charging you a fee. After all, they are in business, and they are entitled to charge for their services.

All of the info you need can be found on our federal and provincial websites. More info is available via numerous newspapers etc. The whole of the country is looking for new employees, especially in the "trades". For those of you seeking steady employment and wishing to raise a young family in a safe and lower cost area, I would advise that you concentrate on the prairies region. This includes Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Both provinces are starting to move forward, due mainly to the fact that people from the wealthier provinces are re-locating to these prairie areas because of the lower cost of living, availability of decent paying jobs, pensions go further etc.
Please keep an eye on google news channels for Canada and the US. There is a bit of an economic crisis looming in the US which if it does not get sorted soon, will spill over into Canada. Please be aware that Canada's biggest trading partner is the market right next door, so we feel any financial pain that they suffer. It would be good to keep an eye on this situation as house building in the US has dropped dramatically, and thousands of people are having their homes repossessed. Banks and mortgage companies are posting huge losses due to sub-prime mortgage business hitting the dirt. There has been some indications of a slow down here in Canada, but we are economically stronger than the US at this time, BUT anything can change!!
regards
Terry B
Old Jan 20th 2008, 10:21 pm
Moose Jaw's Ambassador

Sorry folks, I forgot to mention in my last post. If any of you are contemplating a recce trip over here to check out the situation, I will put you up at no cost, and generally steer you in all the right directions.
Terry B.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

familylark will become famous soon enoughfamilylark will become famous soon enough

Also saw ad and will be going to seminar in Feb at Elstree. I am currently a metal stud and metal ceiling fixer. If you have any advice for me Terry B on how I can get myself and family over in a short space of time( 6-12 months) I would be very grateful

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.