Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Missing the 30 day deadline for WP renewal

Missing the 30 day deadline for WP renewal

Old May 23rd 2008, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

sprucemoose is on a distinguished road
Default Missing the 30 day deadline for WP renewal

As I understand it, WP renewal (complete with new LMO) applications should be received in Vegreville at least 30 days prior to the expiry date of the current WP. This allows the applicant to continue working as normal until the decision to renew (or not) has been made. Am I right?

What happens if this 30 days prior deadline is missed? Can you still send the application to Vegreville (even though processing times state 37 days) and everything should be OK? Or is leaving Canada and applying at POE the only realistic option if the 30-day-prior deadline is missed?
Old May 23rd 2008, 9:12 pm

Lozza2302 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Missing the 30 day deadline for WP renewal

i think if your application is after the 30 days then you have to pay an extra $200 on each permit that you require. At least this is what we were told last month, although we were also told to put application for extension in 60 days previous. We put our application extension in mid March and we are still waiting.

Hope this helps
Old May 23rd 2008, 9:37 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Missing the 30 day deadline for WP renewal

Hi

Originally Posted by Lozza2302
i think if your application is after the 30 days then you have to pay an extra $200 on each permit that you require. At least this is what we were told last month, although we were also told to put application for extension in 60 days previous. We put our application extension in mid March and we are still waiting.

Hope this helps
As long as the application for extension is received before the expiry date, you can continue to work at the same job(implied status) until you receive an answer from Vegreville. If the work (or other) permit has expired for less than 90 days, when you apply you have to pay for re-instatement ($200)
Old May 23rd 2008, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, thanks for the replies.

"implied status": Does that have any ramifications for provincial health coverage or SIN?

Just to give a bit of background here, my partner and I are trying to hurry along his employer to get the LMO renewal so we can apply before the 30-day-prior deadline, which is getting very close. Meanwhile, their lawyer seems to feel waiting a few weeks to send off to HRSDC is fine as there is no hurry. But the guidelines for the WP extension clearly state:

If your current temporary resident status is still valid you can apply for an extension of your stay providing you apply at least 30 days before the expiry date of your current status. Your original temporary status as a worker continues under the same conditions until your application is finalized and you have been notified of the decision.
Other than potential re-instatement fees, there is no difference between applying 3 days or 31 days before your WP expires?
Old May 23rd 2008, 11:11 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by sprucemoose
Hi, thanks for the replies.

"implied status": Does that have any ramifications for provincial health coverage or SIN?

Just to give a bit of background here, my partner and I are trying to hurry along his employer to get the LMO renewal so we can apply before the 30-day-prior deadline, which is getting very close. Meanwhile, their lawyer seems to feel waiting a few weeks to send off to HRSDC is fine as there is no hurry. But the guidelines for the WP extension clearly state:

Other than potential re-instatement fees, there is no difference between applying 3 days or 31 days before your WP expires?

The CIC is quote is not the law, as long as you apply and the extension request is received prior to its expiry, you are fine.
Old May 25th 2008, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks PMM,

It may not be the law, but those are the official guidelines though. (i.e., what I have to go by) It seems to me that applying at least 30 days in advance is still important. After some searching, it seems implied status won't be a problem for working or use of SIN, but it does mean we can't leave the country during that time, and I can't find a definite answer regarding OHIP, but it looks like provincial health coverage will cease during implied status. So I'm not sure why the lawyer thought this could wait until the last minute.