Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Metric odometer sticker-imported vehicle?

Metric odometer sticker-imported vehicle?

Old Jun 4th 2002, 6:20 pm
Alex Fisher

Default Metric odometer sticker-imported vehicle?

This may be a silly question, but... I am landing in September and will be importing
a vehicle from the U.S. on which the odometer is calibrated in miles, not km. I
understand that I will need a sticker on the panel indicating that the odometer is
calibrated in miles; does anyone know whether there is some kind of "official"
sticker that you need, or can I just make something up and stick it right on?

Thanks, Alex

Old Jun 4th 2002, 7:20 pm
Jim Humphries

Default Re: Metric odometer sticker-imported vehicle?

There are certainly other requirements tnat yoo should be aware of before deciding to
import your car. You should contact Customs and Revenue Canada for full information.
Jim Humphries

Alex Fisher wrote:
    >
    > This may be a silly question, but... I am landing in September and will be
    > importing a vehicle from the U.S. on which the odometer is calibrated in miles, not
    > km. I understand that I will need a sticker on the panel indicating that the
    > odometer is calibrated in miles; does anyone know whether there is some kind of
    > "official" sticker that you need, or can I just make something up and stick it
    > right on?
    >
    > Thanks, Alex

Old Jun 4th 2002, 9:20 pm
Meg Lamont

When I imported my 1995 Toyota 4 Runner, it was not converted, speedometer or
odometer. They left it miles since there is the metric under the speedometer
markings. I still register all my mileage in Miles, not Kilometers.

Good luck,

Meg

"Alex Fisher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > This may be a silly question, but... I am landing in September and will be
    > importing a vehicle from the U.S. on which the odometer is calibrated in miles, not
    > km. I understand that I will need a sticker on the panel indicating that the
    > odometer is calibrated in miles; does anyone know whether there is some kind of
    > "official" sticker that you need, or can I just make something up and stick it
    > right on?
    >
    > Thanks, Alex

Old Jun 4th 2002, 11:20 pm
Alex Fisher

I'm aware of the requirements - I'm just trying to work out the little
practical details.

A

Jim Humphries <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > There are certainly other requirements tnat yoo should be aware of before deciding
    > to import your car. You should contact Customs and Revenue Canada for full
    > information. Jim Humphries
    >
    > Alex Fisher wrote:
    > >
    > > This may be a silly question, but... I am landing in September and will be
    > > importing a vehicle from the U.S. on which the odometer is calibrated in miles,
    > > not km. I understand that I will need a sticker on the panel indicating that the
    > > odometer is calibrated in miles; does anyone know whether there is some kind of
    > > "official" sticker that you need, or can I just make something up and stick it
    > > right on?
    > >
    > > Thanks, Alex

Old Jun 6th 2002, 12:20 am
Shree

Don't worry about the odometer. All you need is the safety and emissions inspection
depending on the province of registration and the RIV process. The odometer can stay
in miles. No one really cares...!

Old Jun 6th 2002, 1:20 am
Stuart Brook

Shree wrote:
    >
    > Don't worry about the odometer. All you need is the safety and emissions inspection
    > depending on the province of registration and the RIV process. The odometer can
    > stay in miles. No one really cares...!

As long as the Speedo has mph graduations ... if it's an electronic speedo/odo, that
WILL need conversion.

Stuart

Old Jun 6th 2002, 1:20 am
Stephen C. Gall

"Stuart Brook" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Shree wrote:
    > >
    > > Don't worry about the odometer. All you need is the safety and emissions
    > > inspection depending on the province of registration and the RIV process. The
    > > odometer can stay in miles. No one really cares...!
    >
    > Ooops ... that was meant to say as long as the speedo has kph graduations on it (as
    > well as mph)

You mean km/h, not kph.

Old Jun 6th 2002, 2:20 am
Stuart Brook

Shree wrote:
    >
    > Don't worry about the odometer. All you need is the safety and emissions inspection
    > depending on the province of registration and the RIV process. The odometer can
    > stay in miles. No one really cares...!

Ooops ... that was meant to say as long as the speedo has kph graduations on it (as
well as mph)

Old Jun 7th 2002, 8:20 am
Rich Wales

AFAIK, there are two separate issues here: the speedometer (the device that shows how
fast the vehicle is currently moving), and the odometer (the device showing the total
distance the vehicle has been driven during its entire lifetime).

It's my understanding that a US-spec speedometer is OK for Canada as long as the
scale includes km/h markings (which virtually all speedometers on US-legal cars built
in the last two decades have).

It's OK for the odometer to read in miles, as long as there is a label explicitly
stating that the odometer reading is in miles. I don't know the answer to the
original poster's question (whether the sticker has to be something standard, or if a
custom label is OK), but I would assume that the RIV people will know the answer and
will provide an acceptable sticker if a custom label is not satisfactory.

Rich Wales [email protected] http://www.richw.org
*NOTE: I've lived in both Canada and the US and have dual citizenship.
*DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer, professional immigration consultant,
or consular officer. My comments are for discussion purposes only and
are not intended to be relied upon as legal or professional advice.