Met a Canadian girl - What next?

Old Oct 15th 2014, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Mellios is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Met a Canadian girl - What next?

Actually we were planning on going down south to the Carribean for a week or so a while after I get here, I assume that won't hurt either.

I shall speak to her about sorting out joint accounts etc too. My bank is in the UK, I assume there is no problem with keeping that one live and also having a joint one here with her.

I will have a look at the spreadsheet and will certainly keep you updated with my news, I assume outland application is the logical way forward?
Old Oct 15th 2014, 1:44 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

There are pros and cons to inland vs outland, the wiki article outlines it all, about 99.9% of people do outland, mainly because it's about a third of the processing time, 6-7 months as opposed to 20ish months.

A week in the Caribbean might not affect thing,s but it might get you 6 more months when you re-enter Canada. Again, it would be useful for you to have an outbound flight to show when you try to re-enter. If I were you, I wouldn't risk just leaving for a week when you're just on a visitor visa and you want to stay for 6 more months. What would you do if you are refused entry to Canada? That then breaks your common-law status AND sends you back to the Caribbean, and you then have to work out getting back to the UK from there. It's a bit of a headache all around. If I were you, I'd stay firmly in Canada until about the 11 month mark, then you and your girlfriend take a 3 month holiday together. As soon as 12 months pass, file your common-law application. Send it recorded delivery, pay the fees up front, and so on, so you have proof you've applied. Then after the holdiay go back to Canada, take that evidence with you, you'll be re-entering with your girlfriend, who by then will be your common-law spouse, so you can go to the desk together, and you should be let in from there.

And yes, you can keep your UK accounts active, that doesn't matter.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

OK, thanks for that. I shall let her know - shame about our vacation but I don't want to take any unnecessary risks.
Thanks again for the advice, you've really been a great help.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 1:52 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mellios
OK, thanks for that. I shall let her know - shame about our vacation but I don't want to take any unnecessary risks.
Thanks again for the advice, you've really been a great help.
It's one of those where it could be just fine, or it could be a disaster. Given that you are working towards common-law, getting turned away at the border means not only the expense and faff of that, but also re-setting your common-law clock back to zero... and that would be a real shame, given it's already proving a bit difficult to get to 12 months in the first place.

Go on a holiday somewhere in Canada instead. Visit another city or province, go to one of the coasts, go up to the Arctic. There are tons and tons of holiday options to do in Canada, so that you still get a holiday together, but you don't leave the country.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

She loves a hot beach holiday, she's gonna be upset
Still, it's for the greater good eh.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 2:03 pm
Concierge

She loves a hot beach holiday, she's gonna be upset
Still, it's for the greater good eh.
She'd hate that beach holiday if you ended up having to go back to the UK because you were refused entry to Canada! :P

Maybe for yuor 3 month holiday afterwards you can go via the Caribbean en route to the UK or whatever... or do a month somewhere else, go around Europe, whatever - you can just put off the beach part until you get to that bit.

Good luck!
Old Oct 15th 2014, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Good idea, that's probably the right way to do it.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 2:41 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

At what stage did you apply for fiancee sponsorship? Was it day one from your other half getting in the country?
Also is fiancee sponsorship different to spousal sponsorship?
We applied in London, however this program ended a long time ago. It was similar to spousal, but had a condition of marrying within 6 months of arrival in Canada. Spousal is the only option now.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Ah right, I getcha. Thanks.