Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Medicals - when do you get the results?

Wikiposts

Medicals - when do you get the results?

Old Jul 23rd 2010, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

suze_h will become famous soon enoughsuze_h will become famous soon enough
Default Medicals - when do you get the results?

Hi all,

I had a quick question about medicals. As I am applying in the Family Class from within Canada I'll be getting my medical done before I apply, probably the day before I submit my application.

Do you get the results on the day or do you have to wait to get the results from CIC further down the track?

Thanks for clarifying!
Suze
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Waltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud of
Default Re: Medicals - when do you get the results?

Hi

You don't get the results, CIC do. After your medical you will get a reciept that you will need to send with your application. This shows that you have had your medical. I had three seperate reciepts, one from the physical, one from the blood/urine test and one for the X-ray. I sent all three with my application. I have heard that some people get given a form saying they have had their medicals, but I didn't get this, and there were no problems with my application.

If there are any major problems then I believe the doctors have to notify you. If you have to have a further medical the CIC will write to you.

Just one more thing, are you applying in-land or out-land?
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

I am applying in-land, I'm currently in Toronto on a work visa until December.

In the application pack there's a form which I have to take to the DMP along with photos, they are supposed to sign the form and give it back to me....so I think I will have the form to submit with my application, perhaps I will have receipts too?

Thanks for your quick response, I really appreciate your help and advice
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

Waltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud of

Why don't you apply out land? It's far quicker? I was in Canada on a TWP and I applied out land. Sent off my application in November and had my passport request in february!!

The doctors I went to kept the form and just gave me the reciepts! They said the form was for them not me!!
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

I wasn't sure how to go about that....would I actually have to go back to England to send the application off? And do you still have the medical at the start of the process or would it be at the end? Figured as I am in Canada I have to go the in-land route.....confused
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Yep, it is a bit confusing when you start off. Thankfully I got some great advice on here.

So, even if you are in Canada, you can still apply outland. There is a section on the application that asks if you want the application processed in Canada or at the visa office in your country (in our case, London).

You can have your medical done here in Canada (I got mine done in Edmonton.)

The only time you would need to go the Uk is if you were called for an interview. I have never heard of anyone on here being called for an interview. I think they only call you if they have doubts about your application.

You also don't need to leave the country when it comes time to 'land.' I just went to the Immigration place in Edmonton and they filled out all my landing paperwork there.

I didn't even provide a UK address. I had everything sent to me at my Canadian address. So no problems applying outland, even if you are in Canada. In fact, it seems to be the way that most people do it as it is far far quicker.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 6:46 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suze_h
I am applying in-land, I'm currently in Toronto on a work visa until December.

In the application pack there's a form which I have to take to the DMP along with photos, they are supposed to sign the form and give it back to me....so I think I will have the form to submit with my application, perhaps I will have receipts too?

Thanks for your quick response, I really appreciate your help and advice
You don't get the results. They give you a receipt after the medical, which you must include with your application.

If you decide to go outland (selecting London as your processing area, i think), you can still take your medical in Canada, Post it from Canada, and even put a Canadian address for correspondence. The only difference is that if you're called in for an interview you'd need to fly to London. This is unlikely though unless you have a dodgy past or application.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys! I'm going to check out the outland process today. Just concerned that when my work visa expires in December I risk having to go home for a few months while I wait for my PR to come through, which I'd rather not do.....

Hoping there aren't too many differences between the inland and outland application forms as I've already almost completed all the documentation for inland!!

Thanks again
Old Jul 24th 2010, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

I think the forms are the same. Not 100% sure on that one though!

If things carry on going the way they have, and you send your application off now, then you may have your passport request by December. Mine was done in under 4 months.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

I've spent the morning going through everything and it definitely does seem like it would be better to apply this way - the forms are different but in essence they request the same information so I more or less have everything covered.

One question though: did you obtain your UK police certificate before you applied, and include it with your original application?

For the inland process the UK is one of the countries for which you are not allowed to apply before you send your application, it has to be sent on request further along in the process.

As a result I applied for and received my police certificate from Italy last month, but haven't applied for my UK one yet. I have to send my complete application in by September 22nd at the very latest, otherwise my Italian Police Certificate expires.....so I guess if I need to get the UK police certificate before applying I should get on with it!!

If you could let me know what you did that would be great.

Did you apply last year? It would be great if I could get everything done in 4 months.....
Old Jul 24th 2010, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

Hi,
Yes, you need to apply for your UK one and send it in with your application.

Here is the link for you.

http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp

For spousal sponsorship you needed to send your medical reciepts and your police checks with your application. Unlike other forms of PR, they do not send you a letter to request it. It makes the whole process much quicker!

Yes, I applied for PR last year. They recieved my documents on November 25 and I recieved my passport request (via email) on February 17, so well under 4 months.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

Just thought of one more thing. Don't leave any blank spots! Any parts that I didn't need to fill out, I just wrote N/A.

They will return your application if there are any spaces.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Lethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really nice

Originally Posted by suze_h
Thanks guys! I'm going to check out the outland process today. Just concerned that when my work visa expires in December I risk having to go home for a few months while I wait for my PR to come through, which I'd rather not do.....

Hoping there aren't too many differences between the inland and outland application forms as I've already almost completed all the documentation for inland!!

Thanks again
Also, if you're still waiting for your PR in December you can still apply to change your status to a visitor's visa whilst you're waiting. It's not difficult to apply and costs $75. You can do it in the last month of your work permit and, if you have enough funds and don't mind being home alone for a little while just wait for your pr to come through. Which is what I'm doing. Good luck