Medicals and Weight

Old Mar 27th 2005, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

dozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond repute
Post Medicals and Weight

Hi all,

I am currently waiting for some thing to happen with my application via the CIC London office and I was just wondering if any one had any experience with the medical and being over weight. I have had a weight issue all my life that I am finally trying to over come.

A little over 18 months ago I was diagnosed a suffering from Sleep Apnoea caused by excessive weight at the time I was approx 35stone (490lbs, 222kgs for those who are metric), then about 12 months ago I was diagnosed as possibly being diabetic, that I have had no problem controlling since I change my diet and lost weight. In the last 10 months or so I have lost 10stone (140lbs, 63kgs) which I have to say has improved my life immeasurably, I only wish that I had done some thing about it years ago.

My question to the members of this forum is has anyone passed the medical while carrying a little extra weight? I am still planning on losing a further 6 stone (84lbs, 34kgs) I hope before my medical, but that would still leave me in the overweight category as far as all the insurance company charts are concerned. If any one has any experiance in this I would love to hear, please PM me if you would rather not discus this in an open forum.

Thanks all

Dozzzzy
Old Mar 28th 2005, 6:04 am
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicals and Weight

Originally Posted by dozzzzy
Hi all,

I am currently waiting for some thing to happen with my application via the CIC London office and I was just wondering if any one had any experience with the medical and being over weight. I have had a weight issue all my life that I am finally trying to over come.

A little over 18 months ago I was diagnosed a suffering from Sleep Apnoea caused by excessive weight at the time I was approx 35stone (490lbs, 222kgs for those who are metric), then about 12 months ago I was diagnosed as possibly being diabetic, that I have had no problem controlling since I change my diet and lost weight. In the last 10 months or so I have lost 10stone (140lbs, 63kgs) which I have to say has improved my life immeasurably, I only wish that I had done some thing about it years ago.

My question to the members of this forum is has anyone passed the medical while carrying a little extra weight? I am still planning on losing a further 6 stone (84lbs, 34kgs) I hope before my medical, but that would still leave me in the overweight category as far as all the insurance company charts are concerned. If any one has any experiance in this I would love to hear, please PM me if you would rather not discus this in an open forum.

Thanks all

Dozzzzy
I am not an expert, but i dont think it should affect ur chances! i mean if u are clear of any other problems, being an overweight shouldnt really affect u.. diabetes and stuff can be a trouble; being over-weight shouldnt be..
hope u can get a more expert opinion on this.
anyways, best of lck on ur application
Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:38 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

You have lost 10 stone in 10 months???? Good grief! and well done

I take it you are doing this under medical supervision as that is drastic weight loss!

I am well impressed. I shouldn't think there will be a barrier to entry into canada, unless they feel you are likely to be a drain on their health system, but if you are otherwise in good health, I'm sure you will be fine!!

(anyway you only have to visit Canada so see that they have their fair share of "large" people there. Just watch out for do-nut addiction and you'l do fine!)
Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:24 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

Do you think you would be a burder on the Canadian Health Service?
Are you or have you been unemployed due to your weight, does it stop you working? If the answer is no then I do not think you have any worries. My partner is on the large side to, but has never had any health problems and I can count the times on one hand he has had days off work in 8 years.

Canada has one of the most obese populations in the world. If they were all declared unemployable, or could not get insurance then I think there would be trouble.

You have realised you needed to get fitter, and i must say you have performed and amazing achievement in the time. The mere fact you decided to take it upon your self to lose weight for health reasons must be commended, and your achievement recognised. You will be an inspiration to others when you finally get to Canada.

Being overweight can be rectified whereas many other health issues cannot.They do not stop people who smoke, or drink from passing the medical. Although to me these things pose a far higher risk on the individual's health and often does irrepairable damage to all their family members and relationships. Smokers cause passive smoking in others, and maybe why many cities are starting to ban smoking in public places.
Alcohol that is taken in excess pickles your system, and its effects cause strain on all the family.

Over eating only effects us personally, it does not physically hurt any other person. maybe only where establishing or keep relationships are concerned.

Don't worry you are incredible. Good luck.

Hi all,

Thanks all

Dozzzzy
Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gooding
Do you think you would be a burder on the Canadian Health Service?
Are you or have you been unemployed due to your weight, does it stop you working? If the answer is no then I do not think you have any worries. My partner is on the large side to, but has never had any health problems and I can count the times on one hand he has had days off work in 8 years.

Canada has one of the most obese populations in the world. If they were all declared unemployable, or could not get insurance then I think there would be trouble.

You have realised you needed to get fitter, and i must say you have performed and amazing achievement in the time. The mere fact you decided to take it upon your self to lose weight for health reasons must be commended, and your achievement recognised. You will be an inspiration to others when you finally get to Canada.

Being overweight can be rectified whereas many other health issues cannot.They do not stop people who smoke, or drink from passing the medical. Although to me these things pose a far higher risk on the individual's health and often does irrepairable damage to all their family members and relationships. Smokers cause passive smoking in others, and maybe why many cities are starting to ban smoking in public places.
Alcohol that is taken in excess pickles your system, and its effects cause strain on all the family.

Over eating only effects us personally, it does not physically hurt any other person. maybe only where establishing or keep relationships are concerned.

Don't worry you are incredible. Good luck.

Having read the Aussie forums the opinion is a BMI of 40 or over could be grounds for refusal.Does anyone know if Canada is the same ?I'd be really interested to find out.The aussie forum seems obsessed with this thread,but it never appears in the canadian forum.
P.S Well done on your weight loss
Old Mar 28th 2005, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Had medicals, and the doctor did a BMI. Although not a problem in our family, there must be a reason, however they do eye tests as well and i don't think anyone gets refused on the grounds of poor eye sight.

Don't worry, read what others have said, I think you'll be fine.

Good Luck
regards
frankieforehead
Old Mar 29th 2005, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

dozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Medicals and Weight

To all those that replyed, thanks for your kinds words on the weight loss.

It has been a struggle to lose the weight and I am phisically well apart from being over weight. The weight has made me very self concsious but never stopped me from working nor have I been particulary ill aparft from the odd heavy cold. I never take time off work as I contacted so, no work - no money, just a mercenery really.

I now visit the gym at least 3 times a week for about 90 mins, play baminton (doubles) for 60 mins twice a week and swim 1km at least once a week, so I am getting fitter and the weight I have already lost is making my life so much easier in so many ways, from the simple things like cutting toe nails to not being pointed/abused or laughed at in the street, fitting in seats with arms or not sitting over two seats at sporting venues.

Life is now so much better and more enjoyable.

Thanks again,

Dozzzzy
Old Mar 29th 2005, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

To all those that replyed, thanks for your kinds words on the weight loss.

It has been a struggle to lose the weight and I am phisically well apart from being over weight. The weight has made me very self concsious but never stopped me from working nor have I been particulary ill aparft from the odd heavy cold. I never take time off work as I contacted so, no work - no money, just a mercenery really.

I now visit the gym at least 3 times a week for about 90 mins, play baminton (doubles) for 60 mins twice a week and swim 1km at least once a week, so I am getting fitter and the weight I have already lost is making my life so much easier in so many ways, from the simple things like cutting toe nails to not being pointed/abused or laughed at in the street, fitting in seats with arms or not sitting over two seats at sporting venues.

Life is now so much better and more enjoyable.

Thanks again,

Dozzzzy
Well done, you! I think it's brilliant what you've done. If the CHC turns you down because of your weight, they don't deserve you as a PR!!

TrishB