medicals - Leeds or Manchester ??

Old Jun 18th 2008, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

lowbo is a jewel in the roughlowbo is a jewel in the roughlowbo is a jewel in the roughlowbo is a jewel in the rough
Default medicals - Leeds or Manchester ??

Hi

Just recieved request for medicals today and just wondering if people who have already had them have any opinions good or bad for either Leeds or Manchester practices (though time will be a factor as it to be within 45 days)

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Traci
Old Jun 18th 2008, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: medicals - Leeds or Manchester ??

I went to Manchester.

Good points
Availability of appointments
Only a few minutes taxi journey from Piccadilly Station
Receptionists very polite and helpful

Bad points
Very busy surgery with loads of unruly kids
45 minutes later going in as surgery ran late
Had to undress and lie on couch with no cover/curtains whilst examined and bloods taken - very undignified
Doctor barely spoke to me through the entire exam
Was told that taxi driver knew where to take me for xray - he didn't and dropped me at completely the other side of the hospital complex.
Had to pay a the cashiers office before I could have my xray but they closed for lunch - wasn't told this beforehand

On the whole I wouldn't say it was an entirely positive experience.

I hope this helps.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

ptomlin01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We had ours in February at Altrincham, Manchester. It was the cheapest out of the ones in this area and I was ideally looking for a female doctor. I would highly recommend there.

It's just a small place and they only do the medicals at lunchtime, so me and the four kids were the only ones there.

Dr. Adams is an older lady, she was nice and friendly. Put the kids at ease.

You get undressed to your underpants and she checks you out. We were all done in around an hour.

After the medical she gave us a brown envelope to take to the chest xray place (a 10 min drive north into town) very nice staff there, the kids loved the xray man.

All in all I couldn't complain, it could have been stressful with four kids and a long drive but it wasn't

Hope that helps
Old Jun 19th 2008, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

lyndseyhepworth is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, i had mine in Leeds on 30th May 2008 and couldnt fault them. It was cheaper than i was expecting and included the cost for bloods and XRays so i didnt have to pay an extras. The staff were lovely and calming (blood pressure v.high with nerves!) and everything was organised quickly and easily. The one thing i would mark them down on is that you can only do Canada medicals on certain days and either mornings/afternoon which wasnt too convenient at the time for me to get a half day off from work. That said the Administrator, Ged, who deals with it was very accommodating and did what she could to fit me in. I would def recommend them, especially if you are local.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Moggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to all

I used Leeds and was 100% satisfied. As the previous person said, it is a downside that they only do 4 medicals a week for emigration - Monday afternoons or Friday mornings.

The big plus is that the centre is within walking distance of the station and the Nuffield where you get your x-ray done is also walking distance.

They were very helpful, professional and let me know the tracking number for Royal Mail so I could track the delivery of my results.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

lowbo is a jewel in the roughlowbo is a jewel in the roughlowbo is a jewel in the roughlowbo is a jewel in the rough

Thanks all for replies, appointment availability permitting i think i will be looking at leeds

thanks

traci
Old Jun 19th 2008, 8:22 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

I really wasn't overly impressed with Leeds, it was expensive (£260) and the doctor I saw didn't seem to know my status even though they had all the forms stating I was a spousal app, therefore excessive demand excempt AND the fact I mentioned it about 4 times during the total time there.

they incorrectly referred me back to my GP for high BP and put off sending the forms to London. 4 weeks later they still hadn't done it, I had to call them and when I once again told them I was EDE so to send the damn forms off already, they claimed they have never even heard of somebody being EDE! I had to send them the online link to the handbook they're SUPPOSED to work from explaining what EDE was, the forms then got sent the following day!

I don't appreciate paying somebody that much money for a medical when they don't even know the process they should be following!

That said, the actual medical procedure was fine and I was really impressed with the xrays done at the local BUPA hospital. I was in and out in 15 minutes.

Another plus is the ample free parking at both sites, which is a rarity in Leeds city centre!

Last edited by sheadboy; Jun 19th 2008 at 8:24 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Javarne has a spectacular aura aboutJavarne has a spectacular aura aboutJavarne has a spectacular aura about

So are spousal / dependent applicants EDE? What does this mean, do you have a different medical.

Is it usually a problem then if you have high or low blood pressure. Surely everyone goes up a little when they are nervous with the medicals.

All the best