Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Medicals for dependants- URGENT help needed, please!

Medicals for dependants- URGENT help needed, please!

Old Nov 8th 2012, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

anunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant future
Default Medicals for dependants- URGENT help needed, please!

Hi all,

my oh and I had our medical requests issues early October and had the medicals done on the 18th of October.
Now CIC is requesting that all 3 of our kids have meds done too...even though NONE of them will be accompanying us! It seems pointless to ask them for a medical when they won't even get a Visa issued in the end. My OH's sons are 17 and 20, my daughter is almost 23, all of them are fully aware that, should they ever change their minds about moving to Canada, they will have to apply in their own rights and we submitted Statutory Decs and Signed Statements to this affect with all the paperwork when we first submitted it in August 2008, we also re-submitted them with the forms they requested alongside the medicals - and STILL they want the kids to do a medical, which would cost us around £1500 in total and still they would NOT get a Visa.
To make matters worse, we cannot contact our Immigration Consultant, she's just had a baby and is not answering phone calls or emails, so we are hitting brick walls all around.
Also, my daughter lives in Germany and would have to travel over to the UK for a medical...despite the fact that she'll be 23 years old in 43 days, which means that even by CIC's own standards she'll be an adult in her own right, not a dependant anymore.
I have emailed CIC twice, have not had a reply.
PLEASE can someone tell us where to turn from here? We are totally at our wits end, can't sleep for worrying over this and just need someone to shed some light on whether this a normal request from CIC and what to do.
Please help!!!
Thank you.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

runningclaire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medicals for dependants- URGENT help needed, please!

we had to have two medicals done for our youngest son who will be 23 in 10 days time.
we were told because he was under 22 at the time of applying for our pr, he was a dependant even although he is non accompanying.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 1:29 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anunlikelyunion
Hi all,

Also, my daughter lives in Germany and would have to travel over to the UK for a medical...Thank you.
This bit may not be true , there are Doctors in germany who can do the immigration medical.

Its not unheard of for CIC to ask for medicals for non accompanying dependents. Something the consultant you are presumably paying money to should have mentioned
Old Nov 8th 2012, 1:41 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

my oh and I had our medical requests issues early October and had the medicals done on the 18th of October.
Now CIC is requesting that all 3 of our kids have meds done too...even though NONE of them will be accompanying us! It seems pointless to ask them for a medical when they won't even get a Visa issued in the end. My OH's sons are 17 and 20, my daughter is almost 23, all of them are fully aware that, should they ever change their minds about moving to Canada, they will have to apply in their own rights and we submitted Statutory Decs and Signed Statements to this affect with all the paperwork when we first submitted it in August 2008, we also re-submitted them with the forms they requested alongside the medicals - and STILL they want the kids to do a medical, which would cost us around £1500 in total and still they would NOT get a Visa.
To make matters worse, we cannot contact our Immigration Consultant, she's just had a baby and is not answering phone calls or emails, so we are hitting brick walls all around.
Also, my daughter lives in Germany and would have to travel over to the UK for a medical...despite the fact that she'll be 23 years old in 43 days, which means that even by CIC's own standards she'll be an adult in her own right, not a dependant anymore.
I have emailed CIC twice, have not had a reply.
PLEASE can someone tell us where to turn from here? We are totally at our wits end, can't sleep for worrying over this and just need someone to shed some light on whether this a normal request from CIC and what to do.
Please help!!!
Thank you.
Were the kids included on the IMM0008GEN (Main Application Form) and the IMM5406 (Additional Family Form) when you applied originally?
Old Nov 8th 2012, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

anunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by runningclaire
we had to have two medicals done for our youngest son who will be 23 in 10 days time.
we were told because he was under 22 at the time of applying for our pr, he was a dependant even although he is non accompanying.
Hi there, we have just found out the same so it must be something CIC do on a regular basis...meaning they didn't just make a mistake. It's hugely annoying but it looks like we're going to have to bite the bullet...
Old Nov 8th 2012, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Well, after not having heard of CIC or our immigration consultant in weeks, we have had several (!!!) emails of both today! Turns out that we have to let the kids do the medical as they were all less than 22 years old at the time of the initial application, although none of them will be accompanying us. It just seems utterly pointless to spend close to £1000 on medicals when none of them will end up with a Visa! And what if one of them fails the medical...does that then mean my OH and I will be declined??
Also, I have since found out that my daughter CAN do her medical in Germany, at least she won't have to travel all the way to the UK (also at our expense) to do it. And I TOTALLY agree with you, Zoe...it IS something our Immigration Consultant should have mentioned!
Old Nov 8th 2012, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Were the kids included on the IMM0008GEN (Main Application Form) and the IMM5406 (Additional Family Form) when you applied originally?
I believe they were...at the advise of our Immigration Consultant.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 3:46 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

It is probably because the age is locked in at the time of application. So anyone under 22 when you applied could potentially be a dependent even if they are older now.

I think CIC are wary of anyone sayng " oh but we promise they won't be coming with us" and then potentially changing their mind mid process.

There have even been cases of CIC demanding medicals for children that parents have no contact, with post divorce for example. Now that gets problematic. At least you know where your children are !
Old Nov 8th 2012, 3:47 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

I believe they were...at the advise of our Immigration Consultant.
That is most likely why they are so insistent that you provide medicals for them. If they were never going to be coming with you - you would add them on the IMM5406 only and have them classed as non dependent children. Are you dealing with London?
Old Nov 9th 2012, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
At least you know where your children are !
Hm...well, now that's debatable! LOL
Old Nov 9th 2012, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

That is most likely why they are so insistent that you provide medicals for them. If they were never going to be coming with you - you would add them on the IMM5406 only and have them classed as non dependent children. Are you dealing with London?
Yes we are, Amy. All we did was what our immigration consultant told us to do...crikey, I wish I wasn't quite so obedient! lol But seriously, I wish I had known that back then. And that our immigration consultant had known it too!!! Quite shocking to find out that she didn't...
Old Nov 9th 2012, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Actually, I am just double checking form IMM0008GEN, and yes the kids were included, on page 2...but it does clearly state: You must provide the following details about each of your family members, whether they will be accompanying you to Canada or not! So, looks like we did it all correctly after all.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 4:52 pm

Actually, I am just double checking form IMM0008GEN, and yes the kids were included, on page 2...but it does clearly state: You must provide the following details about each of your family members, whether they will be accompanying you to Canada or not! So, looks like we did it all correctly after all.
By adding them on that form - you are stating they are DEPENDENT and so even if they are NOT coming, they still need medicals. By not adding them to that form and only adding them to IMM5406 - you are stating they are NON-DEPENDENT and they don't need medicals.

Anyway - e-mail London at [email protected] and explain again that the children are not dependent and will not be coming and you are unable to have them do the medicals as they will not agree to go. Good luck
Old Nov 9th 2012, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

By adding them on that form - you are stating they are DEPENDENT and so even if they are NOT coming, they still need medicals. By not adding them to that form and only adding them to IMM5406 - you are stating they are NON-DEPENDENT and they don't need medicals.

Anyway - e-mail London at [email protected] and explain again that the children are not dependent and will not be coming and you are unable to have them do the medicals as they will not agree to go. Good luck
Lying to CIC
Old Nov 9th 2012, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Lying to CIC
Noooooooooooooo, merely explaining the situation. Come on, your a lawyer, you know how these things work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.