British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Medicals (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/medicals-658739/)

rubberduckofdeath Mar 10th 2010 1:02 pm

Medicals

Hi all,

Hope everyone's well today :)

What is tested when you do the medicals?

Thanks! :)

JET747 Mar 10th 2010 1:59 pm

Re: Medicals

Here is a list of what happened with us.

X Ray - at private hospital

Standard tests on eyes (reading letters) ears and chest. She felt for any hernias. Blood test for STD's inc. Aids. Chat about medical history. Height and weight, blood pressure, test urine.

My wife didn't get subjected to a naked look and examination of her Breasts like others do.

I think if you search other threads you will see that like processing times, the medicals do differ slightly from DMP to DMP and even person to person :confused:

But not a lot to worry about. My BP was borderline through anxiety, she didn't even check it a second time or try to relax me. This led to a request for heart checks which were fine and proved that there is no blood pressure issues. However this has delayed everything by another 3 months and counting.

Unless you know you have an issue I am sure you will be fine.

JET:)

rubberduckofdeath Mar 10th 2010 2:05 pm

Thanks for the reply :)

We're both in good health so I'm not really concerned, it's more out of interest than anything.

Thanks again for the reply though! :)

Binty Mar 10th 2010 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by JET747 (Post 8410003)
Here is a list of what happened with us.

X Ray - at private hospital

Standard tests on eyes (reading letters) ears and chest. She felt for any hernias. Blood test for STD's inc. Aids. Chat about medical history. Height and weight, blood pressure, test urine.

My wife didn't get subjected to a naked look and examination of her Breasts like others do.

I think if you search other threads you will see that like processing times, the medicals do differ slightly from DMP to DMP and even person to person :confused:

But not a lot to worry about. My BP was borderline through anxiety, she didn't even check it a second time or try to relax me. This led to a request for heart checks which were fine and proved that there is no blood pressure issues. However this has delayed everything by another 3 months and counting.

Unless you know you have an issue I am sure you will be fine.

Hi Jet,

Which DMP did you use? We have ours booked in Horsham for this Friday :)

Binty

LaurenandLuke Mar 10th 2010 2:34 pm

Hi,

So when they ask you about medical history, I take it they just want to know if there is anything major wrong? You dont have to provide your medical records or anything?

L&L

JET747 Mar 10th 2010 2:51 pm

We used Dr. Maxwell in Cardiff - as we live in South Wales and the costs were comparable with what else was on offer.

Binty Mar 10th 2010 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by JET747 (Post 8410138)
We used Dr. Maxwell in Cardiff - as we live in South Wales and the costs were comparable with what else was on offer.

Thanks, just curious.

Binty

canadian_bacon_boy Mar 11th 2010 8:01 am

We had ours in birmingham on the 2nd of March 2010.

Stage 1

Go through all forms and sign in front of person

Stage 2

Chest X-ray (11+ only)

Stage 3

Sight test, urine, blood (15+ only), BP, height and weight with nurse

Stage 4

Mobility test, chest check, tummy check, hearing and look in mouth with doctor.

I had a heart attack last year and was really nervous but was told by the doctor CIC do not care how healthy you are now, it is how healthy you are going to be. So if there are no longer term risks, your fine.

rubberduckofdeath Mar 11th 2010 9:15 am

newjerseychick Mar 23rd 2010 11:25 am

Originally Posted by canadian_bacon_boy (Post 8411987)
We had ours in birmingham on the 2nd of March 2010.

Stage 1

Go through all forms and sign in front of person

Stage 2

Chest X-ray (11+ only)

Stage 3

Sight test, urine, blood (15+ only), BP, height and weight with nurse

Stage 4

Mobility test, chest check, tummy check, hearing and look in mouth with doctor.

I had a heart attack last year and was really nervous but was told by the doctor CIC do not care how healthy you are now, it is how healthy you are going to be. So if there are no longer term risks, your fine.

Hi

Just a question - Has anyone passed the medical but had sight problems? My husband is blind in one eye and after reading the above i'm concerned he may be refused on medical grounds? Is it possible to e-mail CIC and ask prior to applying?

Anne-Marie

singingringingtree Mar 23rd 2010 11:44 am

Originally Posted by LaurenandLuke (Post 8410092)
Hi,

So when they ask you about medical history, I take it they just want to know if there is anything major wrong? You dont have to provide your medical records or anything?

L&L

If you have any health issue which you think might lead to a request for further tests, you would be best to take a report from your doctor. Otherwise, no records needed.

My OH had fluctuating blood pressure so we paid for a report from our doc saying he had checked it out and no underlying causes - probably due to work pressures and that lifestyle advice had been given. On the day his bp was fine and the DMP threw the report in the bin. It cost £50 but gave us peace of mind as further tests for an issue such as raised bp could have been costly.

Steveh27wp Mar 23rd 2010 1:25 pm

Hi,

Don't forget that if you are a male aged over 55.....your prostate will be checked too!!

steveh

bear-diesel Mar 23rd 2010 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by newjerseychick (Post 8441238)
Hi

Just a question - Has anyone passed the medical but had sight problems? My husband is blind in one eye and after reading the above i'm concerned he may be refused on medical grounds? Is it possible to e-mail CIC and ask prior to applying?

Anne-Marie

Hi i have had a retinal detachment and although I have some sight in the eye on the day of the exam I couldn't make anything out on the chart, I'm sure they had shrunk the letters:p Having said that I passed, I think they are only concerned about what you are gonna cost the health system....good luck

lins and Stef McLachlan Mar 23rd 2010 1:56 pm

Hi
Without meaning to sound horrible....that is what we thought and then they found a heart murmur and irregular pulse that I did not know I had...so led to other tests. Please try not to be complacent.......it shocked the hell out of me. I am okay....but the very thought that after winning in Federal Court after we were initially refused....then to maybe fail on medical grounds...gave me a few moments...I can tell you.
I'm sure you will be fine...but you don't always know if you are not. Good luck with it all though.
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath (Post 8410022)
Thanks for the reply :)

We're both in good health so I'm not really concerned, it's more out of interest than anything.

Thanks again for the reply though! :)