Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Medical just completed.....HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE....now I am freaking out

Medical just completed.....HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE....now I am freaking out

Old Jun 29th 2007, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

cancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to behold
Default Medical just completed.....HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE....now I am freaking out

So, I am at work, hubby just called after having his medical done.

His blood pressure was 160/100!!!

The doctor said he could not yet hand over the IMM form because Hubby has to come back in ten days for another test. If reading still high, will have to have extra blood work done apparently. Doctor started talking about possibility of having to go on medication, said hubby needs to loose 2 stone etc etc etc.

So, now I am totally freaking out!

What can he do to get reading lower by ten days? Is there anything that can be done in such a short space?

If still high at end of medicals process, will that mean he can't be sponsored?

I am so worried now, on top of all our other problems.

And I have nagged him so much about his diet, smoking, weight etc etc.

Besides being worried about the medicals and immigration, I hope he realises now that he needs to change his lifestyle. His Dad died of a stroke-I don't want him to!

Kellie
Old Jun 29th 2007, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical just completed.....HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE....now I am freaking out

Not enough time to give a proper response, but this issue has been covered LOADS!!!! Do a search. Two weeks of the following MAY make a difference, but his diastolic BP is prob a bit too high to have such a quick turn-around.

1. give up caffeine, pop, alcohol etc
2. dont add salt to anything
3. dont eat any take-away food, only home made and pref mainly fruit/veg. Red meat only once a week.
4. exercise - walk as far as possible as often as possible.
5.Quit smoking

There's nothing wrong with taking medication, if that's what's required.
But the responsible thing to do is to change one's lifestyle as much as possible.
Good luck
Old Jun 29th 2007, 6:07 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical just completed.....HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE....now I am freaking out

Originally Posted by cancov
So, I am at work, hubby just called after having his medical done.

His blood pressure was 160/100!!!

The doctor said he could not yet hand over the IMM form because Hubby has to come back in ten days for another test. If reading still high, will have to have extra blood work done apparently. Doctor started talking about possibility of having to go on medication, said hubby needs to loose 2 stone etc etc etc.

So, now I am totally freaking out!

What can he do to get reading lower by ten days? Is there anything that can be done in such a short space?

If still high at end of medicals process, will that mean he can't be sponsored?

I am so worried now, on top of all our other problems.

And I have nagged him so much about his diet, smoking, weight etc etc.

Besides being worried about the medicals and immigration, I hope he realises now that he needs to change his lifestyle. His Dad died of a stroke-I don't want him to!

Kellie
We have just been through the same thing. My OH's blood pressure was up every time he went to the GP :curse::curse: we even bought our own machine to check the right time for him to go to the docs. Luckily when he had his medical he was ok and since then his blood pressure has been normal - he put it down to stressing about the medical because it meant so much.

Get him to take up yoga or something but definately look after himself.

Lorna
Old Jun 29th 2007, 6:12 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Some of it could be "white collar" hypertension -- nervousness from being at the doctor's.

Invest in a blood pressure machine for home and test there under different conditions.

The lifestyle changes need to occur but I doubt they are going to get that pressure down for quite a while if it's "normal" for him. Here you'd be put on medication straight away while you work on the lifestyle changes. If the hypertension is well controlled on meds (which are not usually expensive at all) then I wonder if it's still a problem for immigration?

--Amy (HTN dx 23 no risk factors!)
Old Jun 29th 2007, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

cancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the replies...I have calmed down somewhat.

I did a search of the forum and I read a bit of the DMP Handbook, and it looks like we will be fine.

Because we are applying via spousal sponsorship, I believe hubby is 'excessive demand exempt'.

In his case the doctor just needs to report the bloodpressure as high and does not need to send for extra tests. Hypertension will not exclude hubby from being sponsored.

I called the doctor and referrred him to the relevant sections of the DMP handbook.

Doc said he could complete medical as is, or retake blood pressure next week to see if there is a lower reading.

Hubby will go next week (after no salt, eating well, no smoking etc) and see if any difference. Medical will be completed and sent to London.

I hope I have that all right.

Thanks for the support.

Gotta get back to work!

Kellie