Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Medical Costs, Where to find the cash?!

Medical Costs, Where to find the cash?!

Old Aug 1st 2007, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

thedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud of
Default Re: Medical Costs, Where to find the cash?!

Originally Posted by corn2can
Hi,
Just a quick gripe concerning the cost of medicals.

I contacted our closest designated medical centre today to assess the cost of medicals for our application.

Ten minutes later after the receptionist had finished listing all the medical tests required and their associated costs, I ended up with a final total bill of £887.56!

Now I understand that there are substantial costs involved and the modern health service is now a business like any other, but I must admit that my eyes did water when the total was calculated.

What rubs salt further into the wounds is that the medical centre carrying out the exams will only accept payment by cash. Luckily the X-ray's can be paid for via a credit card payment at the local hospital.

My dilema however now is where to find the cash for this new expense, coming hot on the heels of the RPP fee only just paid.

I would be interested in other peoples experience of the medical request money-drain, and any suggestions on how to fund it would also be most welcome!!
Hi everyone,
I have just priced our medicals and it was not the amount that suprised me it was the waiting time. To get the whole family done (2 adult and 2 children) at the same time the earliest date was the 4th of November. So I had to split us up into two groups of two even then the ealiest date is the 25 and 27th of September. By the way the cost was £392. That was using the Glasgow practioner the Edinburgh one was costing slighly more and is further away so Glasgow won.
Oh well at least things are moving in the right direction.
Thanks Julie
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 2:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thedignans
Hi everyone,
I have just priced our medicals and it was not the amount that suprised me it was the waiting time. To get the whole family done (2 adult and 2 children) at the same time the earliest date was the 4th of November. So I had to split us up into two groups of two even then the ealiest date is the 25 and 27th of September. By the way the cost was £392. That was using the Glasgow practioner the Edinburgh one was costing slighly more and is further away so Glasgow won.
Oh well at least things are moving in the right direction.
Thanks Julie
Is that the Nuffield? One thing I liked about them over the other DMPs in the area was the fact that x-rays are taken onsite. No chance of the films going missing
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

thedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud ofthedignans has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Is that the Nuffield? One thing I liked about them over the other DMPs in the area was the fact that x-rays are taken onsite. No chance of the films going missing
Yes it is the Nuffield. Im glad you said that because I was thinking the same thing. The DMP in Edinburgh told us we would have to get our own x rays and was thinking the more people who handle our meds the more chance it has to go missing. So thanks for the re-assurance that we chose the correct one.
Thanks Julie
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 4:05 am
Dorfus wafflebutt

littletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nice

nuffield is my nearest too buy work in xray so can get my own easy. Would they accept that do you think?

Karen
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I'm curious to know, do you actually have to have the xray film print thingy, or is a paper copy and a report enough?

I ask because my local hospital is all electronic, so no plastic hard copy xray....only a printed one.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 4:23 am
Dorfus wafflebutt

littletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nice

my hospital is all digital (electronic) and we still have a printer thats prints on film, like the old kind. X rays dont print on paper, im sure your place will have a printer for foreign patients, transfers etc
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littletwinkle46
my hospital is all digital (electronic) and we still have a printer thats prints on film, like the old kind. X rays dont print on paper, im sure your place will have a printer for foreign patients, transfers etc
"Xrays" do print on paper - ie just like any other image can be printed on paper.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 8:28 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
"Xrays" do print on paper - ie just like any other image can be printed on paper.
Here in Nova Scotia we had our x-rays taken one evening and the next day I had to pick up 4 CDs (one for each of us). Each CD had 2 chest x-rays on it -one front view and the other side view. Doctors in Nova Scotia go online and check out x-rays. I think we needed the CDs done for the CHC.

I tried to copy onto my laptop but it would not allow it. It was strange looking at my own bones. I wanted to save it as the most intimate pic I have of myself
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but the image quality is undiagnostic so it isnt done.

images are saved to CD if needed
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
Yes but the image quality is undiagnostic so it isnt done.

images are saved to CD if needed
It is done - I do it for my patient write-ups. (I didn't refer to the diagnostic side of things.)

My original question was, is the radiology report alone enough information for immigration purposes.

PS I knew a Brit who worked as a radiographer for a year in mining towns in Oz - said he earned a fortune.

Last edited by Ozzidoc; Aug 2nd 2007 at 9:43 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Here in Nova Scotia we had our x-rays taken one evening and the next day I had to pick up 4 CDs (one for each of us). Each CD had 2 chest x-rays on it -one front view and the other side view. Doctors in Nova Scotia go online and check out x-rays. I think we needed the CDs done for the CHC.

I tried to copy onto my laptop but it would not allow it. It was strange looking at my own bones. I wanted to save it as the most intimate pic I have of myself
Yes, having a CD or online access reduces the chance of them going missing.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

It is done - I do it for my patient write-ups. (I didn't refer to the diagnostic side of things.)

My original question was, is the radiology report alone enough information for immigration purposes.

PS I knew a Brit who worked as a radiographer for a year in mining towns in Oz - said he earned a fortune.
I have never seen an x-ray printed out on paper!! -Is is an australian practice?

CIC need the images as well as the radiologists comments. So a report alone isnt enough.

I would want a fortune to work in a mining town in Oz!
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have never seen an x-ray printed out on paper!! -Is is an australian practice?

CIC need the images as well as the radiologists comments. So a report alone isnt enough.

I would want a fortune to work in a mining town in Oz!
Thanks

No - I wasn't in medicine when I was in Oz....it's a UK thing, PACS system.

We print off the xrays for our own benefit as appropriate, attached to case reports we are writing up/presenting etc. The patient can have a copy if they want one....but they never ask.

LOL - yeah, I'd hate to work in an Oz mining dump I mean town.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks

No - I wasn't in medicine when I was in Oz....it's a UK thing, PACS system.

We print off the xrays for our own benefit as appropriate, attached to case reports we are writing up/presenting etc. The patient can have a copy if they want one....but they never ask.

LOL - yeah, I'd hate to work in an Oz mining dump I mean town.
I'm familiar with PACS and was for many many years in UK. The things you non imaging docs get up to with our images

Ps, you can also photoshop the images. remove bones, add bones........Cant see the join on a powerpoint show, but you can on a PACS screen
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm familiar with PACS and was for many many years in UK. The things you non imaging docs get up to with our images

Ps, you can also photoshop the images. remove bones, add bones........Cant see the join on a powerpoint show, but you can on a PACS screen
Naughty!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.