Media nonsense ref immigration

Old Dec 9th 2005, 2:38 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Media nonsense ref immigration

Just been watching Global Vancouver news....Chris xxxx whatever, business correspondent was waffling on about his 'research' which consisted of talking to a Brit on the Whistler ski lift.

Blah blah blah skilled tradesman couldn't get fixed up with employment due to visa/immigration problems, decided to come on three week vacation and 'try next year instead'.

The judgement made was that the immigration system is basically crap and it's holding back industry, growth, yadda yadda yadda.

Now forgive me if I'm off pitch a little as it's early and coffee is just about hitting the system but can't a UK tradesperson still secure a temp work visa if the employer can justify skills shortages and inability in local labour larket to recruit Canadian labour - which for trades skills would be SO easy to justify.

So, basically, the reporter used one 'chat' with one ill informed Brit who probably can't be arsed to chase enough employers who themselves can't be arsed to fill in the forms to recruit temporary foreign workers they desperately need and who are available even if they themselves can't get off of their arses to find the work which is there while homeseekers are exposed to continually rising prices (caused by a mixture of the market and skills shortages), homeowners can't find skilled labour to build their additions/upgrades ?

Correct summary, or not ?

Fair enough, criticize the Canadian Immigration system for its obvious problems but the media shouldn't make use of ill informed tittle tattle. Instead they ought to discuss the protectionism, beaurocracy, and general lethargy demonstrated by persons with responsibility that stops business growth, even caused by myopic employers themselves. But of course, a business correspondent isn't going to criticize his own kind, is he ? That would take insight, integrity, honesty and balls.

Global Media: like my cold hairy arse

Rich.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 4:46 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Media nonsense ref immigration

Your observation is quite correct Rich. Media in 99% are complete ignorants and reporters "report" crap without having slightest idea what they are talking about, especially when it comes to immigration lately.

How many times in this forum we've seen questions or reports of press articles from posters who took what was written in article as sure thing? And we'll see a lot of it now during election campaign as well as after that when whatever government will be in power will try to solve the 800,000 backlog and long processing times problem. And nobody will report that IRPA has already a build-in mechanizm to deal with backlogs and such mechanizm (floating pass mark) was intended to keep backlog low and processing times in 12 months range. And nobody so far reported that missuse of this mechanizm for purely political reasons 2 years ago is to blame for current backlog.

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Just been watching Global Vancouver news....Chris xxxx whatever, business correspondent was waffling on about his 'research' which consisted of talking to a Brit on the Whistler ski lift.

Blah blah blah skilled tradesman couldn't get fixed up with employment due to visa/immigration problems, decided to come on three week vacation and 'try next year instead'.

The judgement made was that the immigration system is basically crap and it's holding back industry, growth, yadda yadda yadda.

Now forgive me if I'm off pitch a little as it's early and coffee is just about hitting the system but can't a UK tradesperson still secure a temp work visa if the employer can justify skills shortages and inability in local labour larket to recruit Canadian labour - which for trades skills would be SO easy to justify.

So, basically, the reporter used one 'chat' with one ill informed Brit who probably can't be arsed to chase enough employers who themselves can't be arsed to fill in the forms to recruit temporary foreign workers they desperately need and who are available even if they themselves can't get off of their arses to find the work which is there while homeseekers are exposed to continually rising prices (caused by a mixture of the market and skills shortages), homeowners can't find skilled labour to build their additions/upgrades ?

Correct summary, or not ?

Fair enough, criticize the Canadian Immigration system for its obvious problems but the media shouldn't make use of ill informed tittle tattle. Instead they ought to discuss the protectionism, beaurocracy, and general lethargy demonstrated by persons with responsibility that stops business growth, even caused by myopic employers themselves. But of course, a business correspondent isn't going to criticize his own kind, is he ? That would take insight, integrity, honesty and balls.

Global Media: like my cold hairy arse

Rich.
Old Dec 9th 2005, 5:23 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Media nonsense ref immigration

Thank you Andrew. My arse is no longer cold and I am feeling the positive effects of a dark west coast roast

A more civilised version of this text is winging its way to Global Vancouver.

Regards,

Rich.