Marrying outside Canada / UK

Old Aug 14th 2009, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

ticket1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marrying outside Canada / UK

Hi

I live in UK, friend lives in Quebec, Canadian. We want to marry and from the research we have done I wondered if anyone can help us.

If we both travel to the US and get married there, the marriage will be legal in both UK and Canada immediately? We believe there is a 3 - 4 month wait if we wanted to get married in Qc, and also additional paperwork if we married in the UK.

If we married in the US, I would return to UK, they would return to Canada, then we make an outbound application for sponsorship under the family rulings.

How long could we expect to wait until I could join them in Canada?

Do you have to be married for a set amount of time ie one year before you can apply?

We have emails, photographs, visits etc to show our relationship is "real".

Thank you
Old Aug 14th 2009, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Marrying outside Canada / UK

Originally Posted by ticket1
Hi

I live in UK, friend lives in Quebec, Canadian. We want to marry and from the research we have done I wondered if anyone can help us.

If we both travel to the US and get married there, the marriage will be legal in both UK and Canada immediately?
Assuming you are British and your intended is Canadian, your marriage in the USA will ONLY be recognised in the UK if you file a "Certificate of No Impediment To Marriage Under The Marriage To Foreigners Act 1906" with your local UK Registry Office. This must be done at least 30 days, IIRC, prior to the intended marriage ceremony.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately my friend broke off our relationship late last night. I'm devastated
Old Aug 15th 2009, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ticket1
Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately my friend broke off our relationship late last night. I'm devastated
You went from engaged and looking to emigrate together to broken up in the space of a few hours? Ouch!

I'm confused about why you refer to the person as your "friend" though...it doesn't come across as very relationshippy, especially if you were engaged. Surely boyfriend/girlfriend/fiancé/fiancée would be more appropriate.

I smell a troll.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AdrianR
Assuming you are British and your intended is Canadian, your marriage in the USA will ONLY be recognised in the UK if you file a "Certificate of No Impediment To Marriage Under The Marriage To Foreigners Act 1906" with your local UK Registry Office. This must be done at least 30 days, IIRC, prior to the intended marriage ceremony.
Really? My husband and I both lived in the UK (I had permanent residence status) when we got married in the US. After that I got British citizenship (I was eligible for about 10 years before we got married, I just didn't know/think about it), then I sponsored him for Canadian PR. We didn't file anything in the UK for our marriage, but our marriage certificate was accepted everywhere (including my citizenship application).
Old Aug 15th 2009, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Boyfriend sounded too young at our ages, 40+

We had been in the process of gathering as much information as possible, and it was totally by accident that I found this site yesterday. I had never seen anything about marrying outside our countries before.

But it doesn't matter now as he has said it is over. I'm broken hearted.

I still want to come to Canada, it felt like home. All the time I spent researching it re-enforced this feeling.

I had planned to train as a nurse in Canada, once I had settled in. I am now going to investigate training here in the UK as I don't have the funds to support myself abroad.

I am going to try to use my time to find out as much as possible, and eventually I will get to Canada. No one knows why things happen but although my relationship has not worked as I wanted, I have to focus on positive thoughts.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
Really? My husband and I both lived in the UK (I had permanent residence status) when we got married in the US. After that I got British citizenship (I was eligible for about 10 years before we got married, I just didn't know/think about it), then I sponsored him for Canadian PR. We didn't file anything in the UK for our marriage, but our marriage certificate was accepted everywhere (including my citizenship application).
Well, perhaps there are dispensations for certain nationalities and/or those whom may already have ILR independently.

My missus is Mexican and we had to jump through various hoops to get her a UK Spousal Entry permit (including the certificate I mentioned) and her application for ILR.