Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Marriage & working outside Canada (Experts Please)

Marriage & working outside Canada (Experts Please)

Old Apr 4th 2005, 1:33 am
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough
Default Marriage & working outside Canada (Experts Please)

My plan is to live in the Vancouver area and commute every week to my work in Seattle. Canada will be truly my permanent home, and I'm very proud of that so trust me I'm not trying to beat the system here. I just happen to love my current job which I've been in for the last 6 years.

Here is the situation:

1) I will rent an appartment in Canada with all the utilities (Phone, Cable, May be Dish, internet service...). I will move my furniture from the US to Canada.
2) I will export my car to Canada, exchange my US Lisence with a Canadian driver's licesnse. I will also have Canadian insurance.
3) I will have a Canadian bank account.
4) I will apply for credit cards in Canada.
5) I will have cell phone in Canada.
6) I will apply for SIN and Health insurance once I'm eligible.

I will truly be moving to Canada except for having my job in the US.

My question is: am I going to have a hard time sponsoring a wife from my home country if I get married this summer while I'm living in the above described arrangement?

If the answer is yes, then I will have to give up my job in the US and find another job in Canada. I don't mind doing this but only if I have to! I feel like I've invested a lot in my current job, and by moving to a new job I will have to start all over! On the other hand, a move to a new job now might be better for my career. It is hard to leave a comfortable situation though

Thanks in advance! Any input from Jim, Andrew or PMM will be appreciated!

Last edited by MJ23; Apr 4th 2005 at 1:35 am.
Old Apr 4th 2005, 1:58 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marriage & working outside Canada (Experts Please)

If you plan to commute for entire work week (instead of commuting every work day) then you may have problems as your place in Canada may simply be seen as your second residence, while your primary residence (where you'll live every work week) and work will both remain in US.

But if you'll commute every work day to US and return for every night to your primary residence in Canada then I don't see a problem.

Originally Posted by MJ23
My plan is to live in the Vancouver area and commute every week to my work in Seattle. Canada will be truly my permanent home, and I'm very proud of that so trust me I'm not trying to beat the system here. I just happen to love my current job which I've been in for the last 6 years.

Here is the situation:

1) I will rent an appartment in Canada with all the utilities (Phone, Cable, May be Dish, internet service...). I will move my furniture from the US to Canada.
2) I will export my car to Canada, exchange my US Lisence with a Canadian driver's licesnse. I will also have Canadian insurance.
3) I will have a Canadian bank account.
4) I will apply for credit cards in Canada.
5) I will have cell phone in Canada.
6) I will apply for SIN and Health insurance once I'm eligible.

I will truly be moving to Canada except for having my job in the US.

My question is: am I going to have a hard time sponsoring a wife from my home country if I get married this summer while I'm living in the above described arrangement?

If the answer is yes, then I will have to give up my job in the US and find another job in Canada. I don't mind doing this but only if I have to! I feel like I've invested a lot in my current job, and by moving to a new job I will have to start all over! On the other hand, a move to a new job now might be better for my career. It is hard to leave a comfortable situation though

Thanks in advance! Any input from Jim, Andrew or PMM will be appreciated!
Old Apr 4th 2005, 2:21 am
The ECA Godfather

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
If you plan to commute for entire work week (instead of commuting every work day) then you may have problems as your place in Canada may simply be seen as your second residence, while your primary residence (where you'll live every work week) and work will both remain in US.

But if you'll commute every work day to US and return for every night to your primary residence in Canada then I don't see a problem.
Thanks Andrew,

Commuting every work day will probably not work because I have to check in and out with a US immigration officer for Special Registration. It seems to me I will have to find a job in Canada. I don't think it is a good idea to get married and then have problems sponsoring my future wife. That's not the way to start a marriage!
Old Apr 4th 2005, 2:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJ23
Thanks Andrew,

Commuting every work day will probably not work because I have to check in and out with a US immigration officer for Special Registration. It seems to me I will have to find a job in Canada. I don't think it is a good idea to get married and then have problems sponsoring my future wife. That's not the way to start a marriage!

Also consider your residence obligations to keep Canadian PR. 730 days physically in Canada in every 5 year period. Also don't forget the 1095 days in a 4 year period for citizenship eligibility.

Have you thought about seeing if you can flexi-work a little for your US job and perhaps spend Mondays and Fridays in Canada too (working from home), and only travel down to Seattle for Tuesday-Thursday.

Andrew may confirm this, but as far as I know CIC count each day you were *partially* in Canada (for both PR and citizenship) so if someone travelled down to the US early on Tuesday morning and returned on Thursday night, it would count as only one full day (Wednesday) outside Canada. If planning something like this, get advice from an experienced professional.

Jeremy
Old Apr 4th 2005, 2:51 am
The ECA Godfather

Originally Posted by JAJ
Also consider your residence obligations to keep Canadian PR. 730 days physically in Canada in every 5 year period. Also don't forget the 1095 days in a 4 year period for citizenship eligibility.

Have you thought about seeing if you can flexi-work a little for your US job and perhaps spend Mondays and Fridays in Canada too (working from home), and only travel down to Seattle for Tuesday-Thursday.

Andrew may confirm this, but as far as I know CIC count each day you were *partially* in Canada (for both PR and citizenship) so if someone travelled down to the US early on Tuesday morning and returned on Thursday night, it would count as only one full day (Wednesday) outside Canada. If planning something like this, get advice from an experienced professional.

Jeremy
Thanks JAJ,

Actually my plan was to commute to work on Monday and drive back to Canada on Thursday, this way I will be 2 days outside of Canada. I'm also sure I can work out the arrangement you described. I have an excellent relationship with my US employer. That is why it is hard for me to leave this job. It is not about the money because I'm sure I can find another job with the same pay in Canada. It is difficult for me to leave this job because I genuinely like the people I work with, and I know my employer and coworkers feel the same way!

I know I can meet my PR obligations, but my concern was about being able to sponsor a future spouse. From what I understood from Andrew's response, it seems like there is a risk.

Last edited by MJ23; Apr 4th 2005 at 2:53 am.