Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Marriage (Canadian & U.S. resident)

Marriage (Canadian & U.S. resident)

Old Oct 11th 2001, 11:11 am
Kim

Hi, I met my fiancee on-line. He has come to my home in the U.S. to visit. We have
decided to get married. However after 4 months of searching data bases we are still
clueless. We would like to go to Canada an marry and then for me to become legal. I
know this is done in the United States all the time. Is it possible to do this and if
so what should we expect? I am divorced and someone said I had to get a Canadian
Lawyer to accept this divorce. How would I do this, what papers will i need? Also, I
have 2 children aged 13 and 14 how would we bring them into this? Also, I have a
thyroid condition that is under control, other than a healing back injury I am
healthy, will this prevent me from obtaining my citizenship? Lastly, I was arrested
once (please don't shame me I failed to make it to court as I was in another state
and couldn't return, it was a traffic violation) will this also prevent me from
retaining my citizenship? I would appreciate any help on this matter. Thank you so
very much, Kim

Old Oct 12th 2001, 12:45 am
Webimmigration.Com

Hi:

Once you are married within Canada, you will be permitted to apply for spousal
sponsorship within Canada. CIC will require a copy of your divorce certificate, and
your new marriage certificate.

You can attempt to bring your children to Canada, and then apply for their Canadian
permanent residency under your spousal sponsorship.

It does not appear that you are both medically or criminally inadmissible. For more
information on inadmissibility go to www.webimmigration.com

--
Yours truly, Ingrid Y. Chen, B.A., LL.B.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 12th 2001, 2:34 am
Berto Volpentesta

Firstly, do not confuse Canadian citizenship with Permanent Residence. = You will
become a PR first and then a Citizen if you wish.

After marriage, either inside or outside of Canada, your spouse will = have to
sponsor your application for PR.

If you are in Canada, the entire thing can be done from inside Canada. = If you are
outside Canada your spouse will submit a sponsorship, and = then at some point you
will submit an application for landing.

You will of course have to provide proof that you are divorced. This = does not have
to be done by a Canadian lawyer. You should already have = the final judgement.

You will have to "declare" your children whether you bring them or not. = You will
require custody of the children and permission to remove them = from the USA from
your ex-spouse. You can include them now or sponsor = them later.

Criminality is a matter of what the offense would be in Canada. You may = want to do
a consultation for equivalency of the offense and determine = whether rehabilitation
is required.

Your medical condition too can be examined before hand to ensure = compliance, but I
would guess that it should not be a problem.

If you have already reviewed the government site, you may want to spend = some time
looking at some of the sites of the fine firms who contribute = to this group, such
as ours, for more information.

You may want to consider getting a consultation on the entire matter = too, it may
save you some headache in the end.

--=20 Good luck,

Berto Volpentesta, B.A. (Spec. Hons.), B.Ed. Member, OPIC Director, OPIC and
Education Committee Chairman

Sidhu & Volpentesta Inc. Serving people around the world since 1991

www.svcanada.com

>
    >
    >
    >
in
    >
    >
    >
    >
we
    >
    >
    >
    >
another
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 12th 2001, 10:50 am
Kim

Thank you very much, your information was the life raft we needed in this endless sea
of questions. The offense was simply this, I had bought a car and was told by the
division of motor vehicles that I could put my existing liscense plate on the car as
long as I registered it within 72 hours of the purchase of the car since it was
bought late on a friday. As my luck would have it that law was no longer in effect,
and i was the lucky one to get pulled over. (for a brake light outage) I recieved a
ticket for improper tags. Then when I couldn't make it to court (yes, I called the
court and explained I couldn't make it) the Judge issued a bench warrant, hence the
arrest. I had actually turned myself in the moment I returned to the state to clear
the matter up. The judge simply took the money ($150.00) I had used to post bail and
appied it to my fine. After that I never heard from the courts again. Again thank you
for you time. I just wanted to clear up any misconception as it is embarresing to say
I was arrested. Kim

Old Oct 13th 2001, 11:32 am
Berto Volpentesta

Sorry, don't mean to keep bringing it up. But, just one more time.

If the conviction entered was for a trafic violation, you will likely = not have a
problem. However, I say you may want to do an equivalency to = Canadian laws since
some offenses in some states would be more serious = in Canada.

For example DWI offenses in some states start where alchohol levels are = at .10 or
above whereas in Canada it is .08. Or at least is was a few = years ago. In that
case, the person may find some problems immigrating.

--=20 Good luck,

Berto Volpentesta, B.A. (Spec. Hons.), B.Ed. Member, OPIC Director, OPIC and
Education Committee Chairman

Sidhu & Volpentesta Inc. Serving people around the world since 1991

www.svcanada.com

>
    >
    >
could
    >
    >
a