Marriage based sponsorship

Old Jun 14th 2005, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

haiauphixu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage based sponsorship

Hi all,

I'm facing a difficult decision. Please help...

I'm planning to marry my Indonesian girlfriend. I'm PR in Canada (not Indonesian citizen), she is Indonesian in Indonesia.

I have two choices :

1. Having wedding party and register our marriage in Indonesia.
2. Having wedding party in Indonesia and register our marriage in Canada.

Which one should I go with in respect to immigration ? We have separate for too long and I want to be with her as soon as possible. What's pro and con in term of time and complexity ?

(note: due to religion difference between us, it's extremely difficult to register our marriage in Indonesia, but not impossible)

Thank you very much
Old Jun 14th 2005, 5:29 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marriage based sponsorship

From immigration rules perspective it is irrelevant where you get married, as long as marriage is valid in the jurisdiction it took place and as long as it is your only spouse and older than 16.

Originally Posted by haiauphixu
Hi all,

I'm facing a difficult decision. Please help...

I'm planning to marry my Indonesian girlfriend. I'm PR in Canada (not Indonesian citizen), she is Indonesian in Indonesia.

I have two choices :

1. Having wedding party and register our marriage in Indonesia.
2. Having wedding party in Indonesia and register our marriage in Canada.

Which one should I go with in respect to immigration ? We have separate for too long and I want to be with her as soon as possible. What's pro and con in term of time and complexity ?

(note: due to religion difference between us, it's extremely difficult to register our marriage in Indonesia, but not impossible)

Thank you very much
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:34 pm
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
From immigration rules perspective it is irrelevant where you get married, as long as marriage is valid in the jurisdiction it took place and as long as it is your only spouse and older than 16.
But isnt it that registered legal marriage is only valid for immigration purposes?? I mean if they marry according to some religious ceremony; that would'nt be accepted?
I might be wrong but thats what I was told and thats why we did a registered marriage before submitting our application!
Old Jun 14th 2005, 9:02 pm

Again - it has to be a legal marriage, recognized as such in the jurisdiction it took place.

Originally Posted by amancharan
But isnt it that registered legal marriage is only valid for immigration purposes?? I mean if they marry according to some religious ceremony; that would'nt be accepted?
I might be wrong but thats what I was told and thats why we did a registered marriage before submitting our application!
Old Jun 14th 2005, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

haiauphixu is an unknown quantity at this point

If I go with Canadian marriage registration, my wife would travel to Canada first as visitor, then we do the registration. After that, I will sponsor her to be PR.

During the process, should she travel to outside of Canada? Can she extend the visitor visa ? How long the process would take ?

Thank you
Old Jun 14th 2005, 11:27 pm

Before you start making plans about wedding in Canada find out if your fiancee can get Canadian visa first. It will be much more difficult than you think.

Originally Posted by haiauphixu
If I go with Canadian marriage registration, my wife would travel to Canada first as visitor, then we do the registration. After that, I will sponsor her to be PR.

During the process, should she travel to outside of Canada? Can she extend the visitor visa ? How long the process would take ?

Thank you