Many questions re PR

Old May 3rd 2005, 10:57 am
Just Joined

nadja31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Many questions re PR

Hi there, I hope that somebody can help me. My husband and I are in the process of applying for the Canadian PR visa. Unfortunately he won't qualify with regards to points and I will only just be over the passmark (68 points), but could possibly increase this by brushing up my French. We are applying for the PR in Australia (as my husband is Australian) and I was just wondering if anybody here has any idea how long it takes to get the Canadian PR granted in Australia (given the application is successful). Also, I am not Australian, so I was wondering if I would have to apply for the PR in my home country or can I also do this through the office here. With regards to the jobs and point system: My job is not really on the list, but there is many similar jobs on there. Does your job title have to be exactly the same as in the list?? How much did the application cost you all up? I am a little worried because we are only just over the passmark. Would it be better for us to go for the provincial nominee program? I appreciate any help I can get on this. Thanks.
Old May 3rd 2005, 2:10 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Many questions re PR

What "jobs list" are you talking about????

Current Canadian immigration rules and selection criteria are not occupation based and there is no "jobs list".

You are either confused or looking into the old law rules.

If you are lawfully admitted to Australia for at least 12 months then you can apply through Sydney.

Processing time depends from many factors, including quality and conclusiveness of application package and may take anywhere from 10 months to 2+ years in Sydney.

Nobody will tell you which route to take (federal or Provincial) without full assessment of your case.

Originally Posted by nadja31
Hi there, I hope that somebody can help me. My husband and I are in the process of applying for the Canadian PR visa. Unfortunately he won't qualify with regards to points and I will only just be over the passmark (68 points), but could possibly increase this by brushing up my French. We are applying for the PR in Australia (as my husband is Australian) and I was just wondering if anybody here has any idea how long it takes to get the Canadian PR granted in Australia (given the application is successful). Also, I am not Australian, so I was wondering if I would have to apply for the PR in my home country or can I also do this through the office here. With regards to the jobs and point system: My job is not really on the list, but there is many similar jobs on there. Does your job title have to be exactly the same as in the list?? How much did the application cost you all up? I am a little worried because we are only just over the passmark. Would it be better for us to go for the provincial nominee program? I appreciate any help I can get on this. Thanks.
Old May 3rd 2005, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Jill-D is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Andrew,

>If you are lawfully admitted to Australia for at least 12 months then you can >apply through Sydney.

The CIC web page says that if you have been lawfully admitted to a country, then you can apply to the visa office responsible to that country. Some inteprete this as 'one has to be in a country lawfully already for at least one year', but some say 'as long as one is lawfully admitted for at least one year', one can apply to that visa office soon after arrival. What is your opinion? I am already a PR here in Canada, but one of my colleagues at UBC is currently waiting for that one year in order to apply to Buffalo.

Thanks
Old May 3rd 2005, 5:07 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

The rule is quite clear and says - "if you have been admitted for at least 12 months".

It doesn't say - "if you have resided for 12 months".

Originally Posted by Jill-D
Dear Andrew,

>If you are lawfully admitted to Australia for at least 12 months then you can >apply through Sydney.

The CIC web page says that if you have been lawfully admitted to a country, then you can apply to the visa office responsible to that country. Some inteprete this as 'one has to be in a country lawfully already for at least one year', but some say 'as long as one is lawfully admitted for at least one year', one can apply to that visa office soon after arrival. What is your opinion? I am already a PR here in Canada, but one of my colleagues at UBC is currently waiting for that one year in order to apply to Buffalo.

Thanks
Old May 3rd 2005, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

wujood is on a distinguished road

I think she is talking about NOC list, Skill type 0, Skill level A or B etc..

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/qual-2.html

Regarding your question for making 68 points, I personally know individuals who have been able to get the selection waiver with 68 points, so thats not something to worry about.

Your second concern is your prior work experience conforming to NOC list. Well, again the above link clearly indicates that it is the DESCRIPTION of your job duties that you can use to identify the NOC code that applies to you. In other words, you prior job does not have to have exactly the same TITLE but should match the responsibilities described in one of the job titles of NOC. I used the same rationale and got the points I needed.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
What "jobs list" are you talking about????

Current Canadian immigration rules and selection criteria are not occupation based and there is no "jobs list".

You are either confused or looking into the old law rules.

If you are lawfully admitted to Australia for at least 12 months then you can apply through Sydney.

Processing time depends from many factors, including quality and conclusiveness of application package and may take anywhere from 10 months to 2+ years in Sydney.

Nobody will tell you which route to take (federal or Provincial) without full assessment of your case.
Old May 5th 2005, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

neverland will become famous soon enoughneverland will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wujood
I think she is talking about NOC list, Skill type 0, Skill level A or B etc..

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/qual-2.html

Regarding your question for making 68 points, I personally know individuals who have been able to get the selection waiver with 68 points, so thats not something to worry about.

Your second concern is your prior work experience conforming to NOC list. Well, again the above link clearly indicates that it is the DESCRIPTION of your job duties that you can use to identify the NOC code that applies to you. In other words, you prior job does not have to have exactly the same TITLE but should match the responsibilities described in one of the job titles of NOC. I used the same rationale and got the points I needed.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much. That was exactly my question. I am starting to become hopeful again.
Old May 10th 2005, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

evelynne_r is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

When I first started to apply, I was in New Zealand on a Working Holiday Visa - I'm from the UK. I went through the Quebec scheme as I speak excellent French, and so applied for the Quebec side of things through the Quebec office in Hong Kong.

For Quebec I had an interview with the Sydney CIC counsellors when they came to Auckland, and eventually got my Certificat de Selection du Quebec. I then went through the Federal process through Sydney, and received my PR visa.

For me the whole process took just under two years. It took almost a year for the Quebec part, and then I delayed a bit myself before submitting the Federal application. I have to say though that once I did submit the Federal application, Sydney processed it very quickly. I received my medical request within a month of submitting my application, and my passport request within about six weeks of my medical visit.

It was fortunate that in New Zealand I had found a permanent job, which gave me a long term work visa. If I'd had to leave NZ while the application was in progress it could have been awkward.

I'm afraid I can't advise you what to do, but my timeline might give you some idea of what to expect.

Good luck,

Evelynne