Maintaining PR Status

Old Nov 18th 2004, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

samdonalds is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Maintaining PR Status

I have read posts that say you have to be in canada for 2 years in every 5 year period to maintain status, and others that say you have to be in canada for 183 days every year.
Which is the correct version?

I am working in Buffalo, NY right across the canadian border on an H1 visa. I recieved my immigrant visa as a dependant and my family is supposed to land before May 2005. My parents and brother will stay in canada and I intend to come back to US within a few days, and have a them mail me the PR card.

MY US GC is in process, and I should have an idea if its gonna work out within the next 2-3 years. I dont want to abandon that and move to Canada, since I have a very stable career here in the US.

Would I have trouble travelling back and forth between Buffalo and Canada every weekend and maybe even more frequetly? Are there things I should be careful about?
Old Nov 18th 2004, 6:23 pm
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Maintaining PR Status

Originally Posted by samdonalds
I have read posts that say you have to be in canada for 2 years in every 5 year period to maintain status, and others that say you have to be in canada for 183 days every year.

I am working in Buffalo, NY right across the canadian border on an H1 visa. I recieved my immigrant visa as a dependant and my family is supposed to land before May 2005. My parents and brother will stay in canada and I intend to come back to US within a few days, and have a them mail me the PR card.

MY US GC is in process, and I should have an idea if its gonna work out within the next 2-3 years. I dont want to abandon that and move to Canada, since I have a very stable career here in the US.

Would I have trouble travelling back and forth between Buffalo and Canada every weekend and maybe even more frequetly? Are there things I should be careful about?
The rule is 2 years un every 5 years. So after you do your landing you can leave for 3 years straight, but then you will have to spend the next 2 years in Canada.

I will be in a similar situation as you are soon. I live and work in Seattle. I'm planning on living in Canada and workin in the US 4 days a week. If I leave Canada on Monday morning and come back Thursday night, I will have Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday count as days sepnt in Canada! That's 5 days out of 7, so you clearly satisfy the 2 years in every 5 years rule, and you get very close to satisfying the 3 years in 4 years rule for obtaining the Canadian citizenship. I hope I helped!
Old Nov 18th 2004, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Sounds too good to be true - there's gotta be a catch - have you checked with a credible source about this? Arent the Canadians going to object to that? How about the INS with your Green CArd? are they ok with it?
Old Nov 18th 2004, 7:05 pm
The ECA Godfather

Sounds too good to be true - there's gotta be a catch - have you checked with a credible source about this? Arent the Canadians going to object to that? How about the INS with your Green CArd? are they ok with it?
The Canadians don't care as long as you pay your taxes. I'm assuming you have H1B visa, so entering and leaving the US shouldn't be a problem. How do you know that you will have a green card at the end?

I have a lot of Canadian in my work place, who live in Canada and work in the US. I know you will say they are full Canadians, but there is nothing in the law that says you can't do what I described in my earlier post. Do your own research and let me know
Old Nov 18th 2004, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

MY Green Card is in process, and as expected, it takes forever. You bring up an interesting point - Do I have to pay canadian taxes? My employer is a US business, and I am already [choke] paying US taxes + Soc Sec + medicare and the whole nine yards...
Old Nov 18th 2004, 8:05 pm
The ECA Godfather

MY Green Card is in process, and as expected, it takes forever. You bring up an interesting point - Do I have to pay canadian taxes? My employer is a US business, and I am already [choke] paying US taxes + Soc Sec + medicare and the whole nine yards...

There is rule for paying taxes in Canada if you work outside of Canada, Depending on how much income you make. Some people end up paying very little to Canada, but you have to fill a tax form starting the year you land! Do some research!
Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked on the CIC website?, the answer can be found there.

Jeremy