Low CRS score. Help?

Old Jun 30th 2017, 1:47 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Low CRS score. Help?

There's a few IT jobs around in Halifax - depending on what your specific skill set is.

https://ca.indeed.com/Information-Te...in-Halifax,-NS
https://ca.indeed.com/IT-jobs-in-Halifax,-NS
https://www.workopolis.com/jobsearch...ax-nova-scotia
Old Jun 30th 2017, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

hh619 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Thanks. I've found a few similar ones. Although the salaries are around $50-60k which is only slightly above my UK salary in pounds. I guess i need to research the cost of living there in more detail as that might well be sufficient.

Last edited by hh619; Jun 30th 2017 at 7:23 am.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

Sorry for dredging this up! I need some more advice if anyways willing

Right, we are going to go for EE with my partner as the primary applicant. She is currently scoring around 441 (with top marks of IELTS and no job offer)

- Would it help if i did the language test too?
- Is the IELTS test hard? We haven't done it yet.
- If my partner gets EE. Would i be able to work? Or would i need my own work visa?
- She did a 3 Year Degree in the UK, i assume that is classed as a Bachelor's degree on the CRS?

If we were to move over it is paramount that i would be able to work, as i earn considerably more than my partner and my job is more in demand.

Thanks for all the previous contributions. I'm in the IEC pool and also looking for PNP's.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt88
Hi,

Sorry for dredging this up! I need some more advice if anyways willing

Right, we are going to go for EE with my partner as the primary applicant. She is currently scoring around 441 (with top marks of IELTS and no job offer)

- Would it help if i did the language test too?
- Is the IELTS test hard? We haven't done it yet.
- If my partner gets EE. Would i be able to work? Or would i need my own work visa?
- She did a 3 Year Degree in the UK, i assume that is classed as a Bachelor's degree on the CRS?

If we were to move over it is paramount that i would be able to work, as i earn considerably more than my partner and my job is more in demand.

Thanks for all the previous contributions. I'm in the IEC pool and also looking for PNP's.
1) Yes, as you could claim points for spouse language ability too

2) Hmmm, no I wouldn't say so, not for a mother tongue English language speaker, but do study for it, read the guidance and do the online free on and tests/prep beforehand, as with many exams there is a certain knack to doing it which gets you the points

3) Yes, if you get permanent residency via EE both the principal applicant and the named spouse get full unrestricted residency. You can work for any employer anywhere in Canada and are entitled to the same Government benefits (Child benefit, Employment Insurance etc)

4) Usually yes but with a few exceptions, get WES or the equivalent relevant body to check, which you'll have to do prior to entering the EE pool anyway

HTH
Old Jul 21st 2017, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
1) Yes, as you could claim points for spouse language ability too

2) Hmmm, no I wouldn't say so, not for a mother tongue English language speaker, but do study for it, read the guidance and do the online free on and tests/prep beforehand, as with many exams there is a certain knack to doing it which gets you the points

3) Yes, if you get permanent residency via EE both the principal applicant and the named spouse get full unrestricted residency. You can work for any employer anywhere in Canada and are entitled to the same Government benefits (Child benefit, Employment Insurance etc)

4) Usually yes but with a few exceptions, get WES or the equivalent relevant body to check, which you'll have to do prior to entering the EE pool anyway

HTH
raindropsandroses - Thank you very much!! That helps a lot

Does it matter what the final degree result was? E.g would a 2.2 or a 2.1 be OK?

How stringent are they with regards "skilled Work experience"? Would a technical advisor / HR assistant suffice?

Many thanks again!
Old Jul 21st 2017, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

raindropsandroses - Thank you very much!! That helps a lot

Does it matter what the final degree result was? E.g would a 2.2 or a 2.1 be OK?

How stringent are they with regards "skilled Work experience"? Would a technical advisor / HR assistant suffice?

Many thanks again!
You're very welcome, glad I could help

No it doesn't matter at all, you could get a third and it would be fine, so long as you completed it that's what counts, they don't take the grade into account at all.

I think they do take whether you graduated with hons or not into account, as I think it counts for an extra study year in effect, so three year UK BSc/BA with hons is equal to a standard Canadian 4 yr bachelors degree. I'm not sure about that last part though so do check it.

I'm not sure I'm afraid as its not a field either myself or my husband have experience in and I ant remember what the definition of "skilled" is. I do know that my husband had some years of experience in skill levels C and D which we were able to count and get points for as they were directly related to his field, sort of a starting from the ground up as it were.

I can't remember though whether its OK to count those as they were in his field and part of his career progression, or whether its OK to count them full stop. I'll have a look at CIC and see if it jogs my memory
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Thank you raindropsandroses, very helpful again.

I will do some research on what classifies as "skilled".

My partner will not likely work right away, i will be the one who starts actively looking for work. We have plans to start a family and then eventually my partner hopes to re-train by going back into education. I hope our plan doesn't constitute as miss-using the EE system?
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

My partner will not likely work right away, i will be the one who starts actively looking for work. We have plans to start a family and then eventually my partner hopes to re-train by going back into education. I hope our plan doesn't constitute as miss-using the EE system?
Sorry I've had a look but its still not turning the rusty cogs! You're welcome.

No, I don't think so, if you look at it that way I think an awful lot of people would be misusing EE! Don't worry about it at all
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 5:32 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

These links may be of help

Who can apply: Federal skilled workers

NOC - look up the job then find the code and read not only the title but also the description and alternative possibile codes (and find the best fit): Search The National Occupational Classification

NOC Matrix - see what classification the code is National Occupational Classification Matrix 2016

Old Jul 22nd 2017, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
These links may be of help

Who can apply: Federal skilled workers

NOC - look up the job then find the code and read not only the title but also the description and alternative possibile codes (and find the best fit): Search The National Occupational Classification

NOC Matrix - see what classification the code is National Occupational Classification Matrix 2016

Thanks Siouxie. I think she comes under B
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

I probably should start a new thread for this. But, i have one more question

My partner and i are looking to get married during the first quarter of next year. Would applying now, knowing that her surname will change, cause any problems with the application?
Old Jul 23rd 2017, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

I probably should start a new thread for this. But, i have one more question

My partner and i are looking to get married during the first quarter of next year. Would applying now, knowing that her surname will change, cause any problems with the application?
Not really as she is under no legal obligation to change her name. When me and my wife got married she changed her name on most things but not on her US passport (still had 8 years to run on it). We submitted documents on our application in both her married and maiden name. CIC asked for a letter of explanation (because we answered yes to she has used other names) for this we just detailed the circumstances, wasn't a problem at all.

That being said if you are getting married it nay be easier to apply once you are as the evidence required (marriage certificate) is a lot less than what they ask for for common law partner.
Old Aug 31st 2017, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond reputeEddmac has a reputation beyond repute

Just as a FYI - it's not totally true that you can't get a job without being over here to press the flesh.
When we first looked at emigrating, I sent my resume out to several likely candidates. Probably because my skill set is very focused, I got an instant request for a job interview, which was carried out via Skype, although I was fully ready to fly over for an interview.
I got a job offer and the company were willing to pay for the LMIA. I relocated to BC and started working under a work permit and applied for PR both via BCPNP and via the work permit. I received PR and am now waiting for enough days to apply for citizenship.

As my role here is a management position, I hire and fire and I have interviewed a few people over Skype - there hasn't been a problem with this in my company, but perhaps this is rare - regardless, don't be afraid to send your resumes out.
Best of luck.
Eddmac