Lost SIN: What Fraud Can Happen?

Old Apr 12th 2002, 10:30 pm
Developer

Default Lost SIN: What Fraud Can Happen?

I lost my SIN card. What will happen to it once hold by others? How can I delete or
cancel my SIN card and got a new number and transfer all tax, credit to the new one?

Old Apr 12th 2002, 11:00 pm
Webimmigration.

Default Re: Lost SIN: What Fraud Can Happen?

Hi:

You can apply for a new card which will have the same SIN number on it.

To protect yourself, you can file a police report stating that you have lost
your SIN card.

Yours truly, Ingrid Y. Chen, B.A., LL.B.

"Developer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I lost my SIN card. What will happen to it once hold by others? How can I delete
    > or cancel my SIN card and got a new number and transfer all tax, credit to the
    > new one?

Old Apr 13th 2002, 2:30 am
Daniel

with a SIN card, identity fraud can be committed. Thats why its essential to not give
it out for ID or to give it to agencies you dont trustTESTNEVER give it out over the
phone (e.g. someone cold calls you telling you that you may be eligible for a line of
credit etc and somewhere along the line asks for your SIN number to make a "quick
check"TESTit may sound innocent but they really want your SIN and they know most
people have no idea how important it is). Not many people realize this but having
your sin stolen can really screw up your life for the following reason: once the
criminal has your SIN and other personal info you provide (remember that phone call?)
they can use it to open accounts with banking institutions, get credit cards and
commonly use it for employment fraud purposesTESTthey pretend to be you, go to work
for a company --possibly a temp agency who get short term workers and work under your
identity. They can get the employer to not withdraw taxes from their paycheck (as
they will claim that they intend to make less than the taxable amount for the
yearTESTwhich they then just exceed) and leave you to pay the income taxes!! credit
cards get maxed out --which you are then responsible for until you convince the
lenders that it was not you and your credit rating is ruined until you get it
fixed--more time and trouble. Whats worse is that you only get one SIN and a few
years later they can hit you again (particularly if your info gets on a 'sucker' list
that gets sold and passed around ) and the process starts all over!!

The good thing about your situation is that you just lost it and it has no other
personal info associated with it so its more difficult to use it for fraud. Report
the loss to the police in the mean time

cheers

Daniel

Old Apr 13th 2002, 8:30 am
Wesley Newcombe

"Developer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I lost my SIN card. What will happen to it once hold by others? How can I delete
    > or cancel my SIN card and got a new number and transfer all tax, credit to the
    > new one?

Call the two major credit agencies - Equifax and TransUnion - and inform them that
you have lost your SIN. They will make a notation of it in your credit report and
whenever someone tries to take out credit in your name, the organization wanting
to issue you credit has to do a lot more verification up to calling you at home to
verify that this is who you say you are. Its not fun loosing your information.
Good luck!

Wes

Old Apr 14th 2002, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Vlad D is an unknown quantity at this point

What fraud can happen with the copy of the Landing Paper?

Thanks.
Old Apr 15th 2002, 1:00 pm
Olga

Thanks for the informations regarding SIN card. Any feedback about SIN card in the
case of following would be appreciate :

One landed immigrant applied for SIN card and returned to his country of origin after
2 weeks. He used address of a guest house/friend for SIN card purpose, bank account
etc. and requested to the owner of the guest house to send his SIN card and others by
post to his counry after getting it. After few weeks, he got a FEDEXP package with
his SIN card, other papers in his country. But inside the package the envelop of SIN
card looked opened and seems easy to read the SIN.

questions are:
1) What he(Landed immigrant) should do if some body knows his SIN?
2) How SIN might be used by someone without SIN card?

thanking you,

KOlga

Vlad D <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > What fraud can happen with the copy of the Landing Paper?
    >
    > Thanks.