Looking to move to Canada

Old Jul 11th 2017, 7:42 am
Just Joined

amylaurenhepple is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking to move to Canada

Hi All,
Newbie here so apologies if you've seen similar posts.

Me and my partner are planning to emigrate. Its between Canada and Australia but Canada is coming out top.

Can anyone give me any info on Visa's? We've looked at getting and applied for the IEC with a hope to once we've got the visa and worked out there applying for EE at the end of our 2 years. Is this possible to do?

Don't think we're eligible under the skilled workers programme.

I'm 26 and working as an Assistant underwriter in Insurance. I have 5+ experience in the insurance sector. I'm studing towards a professional qualification but for these purposes i will say i have no qualifications as i dont at the moment.

My Partner is a 29 year old HVAC Engineer (Heating, ventilation and aircon) again he has 5+ years experience but no qualifications (they weren't a thing when he started) he also has recruitment experience. So would go into either occupation.

What are visa's options? What is the job market like in Canada? what are costs to relocate? We're open to anywhere in Canada so basically go where the jobs are if we have too. But Alberta is where we'd like to go.

Any info would be most helpful?
If you need any more info from me...let me know.

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 11th 2017, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to move to Canada

Originally Posted by amylaurenhepple
Can anyone give me any info on Visa's? We've looked at getting and applied for the IEC with a hope to once we've got the visa and worked out there applying for EE at the end of our 2 years. Is this possible to do?

Yes this is possible to do and is in fact a very common way of doing it when you require more CRS points from Canadian work experience or lack the settlement funds for FSW. You would likely be invited under CEC.

My Partner is a 29 year old HVAC Engineer (Heating, ventilation and aircon) again he has 5+ years experience but no qualifications (they weren't a thing when he started) he also has recruitment experience. So would go into either occupation.
Note that the practice of Engineering and the use of the title Engineer in Canada is protected under federal and provincial acts. To call yourself an engineer or practice engineering (unless under the direct supervision of an engineer) your partner will require a license from the provincial association (eg. APEGBC, APEG, PEO). This normally means having a bachelors degree in engineering, 4 years of experience with at least 1 year in the Canadian environment.

What are visa's options? What is the job market like in Canada? what are costs to relocate? We're open to anywhere in Canada so basically go where the jobs are if we have too. But Alberta is where we'd like to go.
Assuming you are both British you do not need a visa but rather a work permit. There are many routes to this but include:
1) TFW with an LMIA from an employer
2) TFW via IEC
3) TFW via LMIA exemption (intra-company transfer for example)
4) PR via Express entry system (FSW, CEC and FST)

As stated above, If you can get status as a TFW then you can move to PR whilst in Canada provided you qualify for one of the other routes.