Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Looking to Emigrate, but need some guidance

Looking to Emigrate, but need some guidance

Old Jul 3rd 2021, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

DeanLaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking to Emigrate, but need some guidance

Evening all,

So I'm pulling my hair out trying to get answers and found my way here. I'll start at the beginning and get to where I am now.

I've been toying with the idea of emigrating for a number of years and since it's now just me and mum that I have for family I'm looking to try and get permanent residency in Canada. So I hopped on the IRCC website completed the express entry suitability fir EE and realised I needed the ECA and IELTS, off I trot and get them last month. I then redo the eligibility and jump for joy it says I'm eligible, please complete the first forms, which I do then get an automated message saying I'm not eligible.

Now I'm not sure what to do my main occupation is NOC B but I have the qualifications to be a NOC A as long as I can register as a social worker. I've looked at applying for jobs to try and get a work visa but most turn me down as they want a quick starter whereas you're looking at 4 weeks if everything goes to plan.

Is there anyway to appeal the EE decision or find out the reason why it was declined as the reason I was given was pretty vague.
Old Jul 3rd 2021, 10:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to Emigrate, but need some guidance

Hi, welcome to BE.

First things first, what’s your CRS score? Are you definitely scoring high enough to be selected and invited to apply for PR?

For your entry to the EE pool, it’s usually something simple so don’t worry yet, I’m sure we can work it out. What amount did you put for proof of funds? What NOC code did you put? What’s your FSW score and have you double checked it’s definitely over 67 now you’ve got your ECA & IELT’s?

If you can give us a bit more info we can try and work out why you’ve been declined.

Also, just FYI, to go on a work permit you’d usually need a LMIA first, and they tend to take 3-4 months, so it would be quite a bit longer than 4 weeks. And if a company isn’t prepared to wait 4 weeks for you to start work, I can’t see that they’d be prepared to spend $1000 and go through all the hassle of a LMIA app somehow! So hopefully you can fix whatever’s happened with EE and then just reapply.

Is your Mum in Canada? If so, is she a citizen?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 3rd 2021 at 10:46 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2021, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

So CRS score is 435 and FSW score is 71 points

What amount did you put for proof of funds? 40,000 CAD
What NOC code did you put? 4152 (social workers) but all my experience is 4212 (social service worker)
What’s your FSW score and have you checked it’s definitely over 67? 71

See this is where the IRCC website is so confusing as I thought the was something about a 2 week acceptance for a work permit if you had that LMIA.

Mum would only be visiting for the initial period while I looked in to parental visa, the 10 year one I believe that is around and in the future look at sponsoring her to move over permanently

Also thank you for the help so far
Old Jul 3rd 2021, 10:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so the good news is that I can’t see any obvious reason why you would have been declined for EE. Without seeing your exact answers it’s hard to say though but usually it’s something as simple as the proof of funds amount being too low or similar. You say you put 4152 but all your experience is in 4212 which is a bit confusing - you can only use a NOC you have experience in so did you say 4152 but then not include that in your work experience? If so, that could well be it.

However, the bad news is that at 435 you’re a long way off the points requirement to be selected and invited to apply for PR as a FSW. It’s not dropped below about 460 for about 2 years. Any way of getting your points up, can you give us a breakdown of your score?

And yes, a work permit can be 2 weeks in certain circumstances, but you still need the LMIA first, and that’s the bit that takes the most time.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 3rd 2021 at 11:01 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2021, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

I put 4121 as that is what I want to do over in Canada as my qualifications meet that, which I can see is confusing and maybe not the best way of doing it haha.

Just redone the CRs and this is the results

Core/Human capital factors

• Age = 77
  • Level of education = 128
  • Official Languages = 127
    • First Official Language = 127
    • Second Official Language = 0
  • Canadian work experience = 0
Subtotal - Core/Human capital factors = 332

Spouse factors

• Level of education = 0
  • First Official Languages = 0
  • Canadian work experience = 0
Subtotal - Spouse factors = 0

Skill transferability factors

Education (to a maximum of 50 points)

• A) Official Language proficiency and education = 50
  • B) Canadian work experience and education = 0
Subtotal = 50

Foreign work experience (to a maximum of 50 points)

• A) Official Language proficiency and foreign work experience = 50
  • B) Canadian and foreign work experience = 0
Subtotal = 50

Certificate of qualification = 0

Subtotal Skill transferability factors = 100

Additional points (to a maximum of 600 points)

Provincial nomination = 0

Job offer = 0

Study in Canada = 0

Sibling in Canada = 0

French-language skills = 0

Subtotal Additional points = 0
Comprehensive Ranking System formula grand total = 432

I can't see any easy way of increasing the score. I have been in touch with social work board of Ontario and I could potentially get my Social work certificate before reapplying, would that then increase the score as it would be a professional cerficate?

Last edited by DeanLaw; Jul 3rd 2021 at 11:04 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2021, 11:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

You can’t put a job you want to do though, you can only use a NOC that you have at least one years full-time work experience in. I suspect that could be your answer as to the refusal.

You’re right, no obvious way to get your points up and unfortunately well short of the requirement. A professional certificate won’t help, only academic ones count for points purposes and it looks as though you’ve already got max points anyway (without a masters/Phd).

When do you turn 36 and lose more points? Any French language skills at all that could be improved upon? Which province do you want to move to? (Just seen your edit so presumably Ontario! Any others you’d consider?)

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 3rd 2021 at 11:11 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2021, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

36 in September. Super basic French from school, and I think to get them increased would be quite a while.

As for where I want to move to ideally Ontario within the GTA, but would consider New Brunswick as I have a friend there.

What about distant family would that help, I have what I think is my mums 4th cousin (so my 8th?)who are Canadian since birth
Old Jul 3rd 2021, 11:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by DeanLaw
36 in September. Super basic French from school, and I think to get them increased would be quite a while.

As for where I want to move to ideally Ontario within the GTA, but would consider New Brunswick as I have a friend there.

What about distant family would that help, I have what I think is my mums 4th cousin (so my 8th?)who are Canadian since birth
Afraid a distant cousin is of no use usually, even a Canadian parent or sibling couldn’t sponsor you! But are they by any chance in Manitoba? Or do you have any friends there?

For Ontario you’re going to need a job offer/sponsorship, and from the conversations you’ve had so far it doesn’t sound as though that would be easy. For NB I’d suggest you check out the AIPP and see if any of the employers listed might be suitable and/or have a potential job for you - https://www.welcomenb.ca/content/wel...t_Project.html

If not, then I’d apply under EE (assuming you are eligible if you try again with your current job NOC code), and make sure you select any provinces of interest just in case any of them would select you for provincial nomination. You might as well as you’ve already paid for your ECA & IELTS.

And in the meantime plan a job hunting trip for when restrictions end (and have a read of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki for info on how to job hunt in person in Canada and why it’s so vital).

Is doing a masters of any interest by any chance?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 3rd 2021 at 11:27 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2021, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

Off the top of my head one is in Alberta and the other Calgary for the cousins.

I'll go and have a ganders on that site and see.